Author Topic: 1991 fj80- project offroad station wagon  (Read 3749 times)

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
1991 fj80- project offroad station wagon
« on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
Nothing fancy here but I picked up this 1991 fj80 cheap to make into my full time camping/fishing with the kids mobile until I can get the 40 built.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 1991 fj80- project offroad station wagon
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
plans so far are to tune up the motor and get everything I can reliable and running good then throw in the spartan I have for the 40 build, deflare and then finish the front bumper build with winch. probably end up building some sliders and rattle can painting the whole thing tan at some point but for now I just want to rally :clap: :gap:

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
Nice ride! I would love to have one of those someday.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16273
  • Male Posts: 1,013
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »
Nice ride! I would love to have one of those someday.

nice ride indeed.

hickory: ill keep an eye open. my coworker sold his last month. his fj80 was clean too.

RUGER :usa: :beer :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »
Thanks guys. I had always wanted one and the newer ones with lockers bring a tidy sum it seems but I found a couple 91-92’s that were relatively cheap without lockers. For what I am going to use it for one lunchbox in the rear and I think it will be more than capable. I took it out last weekend on a quick day trip for a shake down and she did great. With 15 psi in the tires she rides like a Cadillac compared to the old leaf sprung strait axle toys I have had and a lot more room for the family. I know it is slow and bad fuel mileage but there is so much to explore close to home why go too far.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
no big update but did some drivers training the other morning:
https://imgur.com/OKJ7CRj

also replaced the FPR and amp so I have her running good and have tunes.

next step is to get the AC working and then maybe some tires or lift to use the 37's I have on the fj40 right now...…. :D :D

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »
well no huge updates but I finally pulled the trigger and bolted up the 37's from the fj40 project:

completely stock suspension. I am going to commence trimming after I get back from T day visit to the In laws.  I already have 5.29's and locker for the 9.5 from my fj40 parts but I still need a front 5.29 diff. I think I have enough marlin crawler gift cards saved up for the gears and an install kit. I just lost my job so money is sparse right now until I can get a new job. still trying to keep my shop build permit moving too so that is taking a lot of funds.

I also scored a parts rig. With title and running for 200 bucks. someone cut out the front axle to get to the high pinion 3rd so it would take some work to get it driving again but it has all the interior parts I need and some interesting spares.

the real score here is when I started looking into the front axle pats and the spare T case in the back of the truck.

when I was unloading the front axle parts from my truck I noticed some non Aisin or warn like I am used to. so I started cleaning them up and noticed a marks adapters sticker on the truck and realized they were some of the marks heavy duty hubs that come with the part time kit.

so I crawled under the truck and the t case would not free spool like a part time kit should and I got bummed. then I went to clean out the old tires and other randomness from the trunk and found another t case. can you guess.......
that one either has a busted center diff or a part time kit. I am going to have to tear it apart when I get home from T day.

Either way I think the truck was well worth the 200 bucks even with out the front diff and some weird noises coming for the transmission/ case.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »
finally got around to finishing up the front bumper and mounting the winch. added a quick little hoop for grill protection:

I installed the rear Spartan locker as well and then took it out to see how the Yokohama's would do in the snow. they did pretty well. not too many pictures but here are a couple.

truck I am sitting next to is a 85 Toyota on 42's

I owe you guys better pictures but she did pretty well in the couple deep spots.

definitely needs a front locker and a little lift, rear still rubs pretty easy. I am thinking I am going to build some homemade spring spacers to get it up about 1.5-2"

front locker wise, I have a good buddy of mine in Alaska that is sending me a full 3rd member with a ARB and 5.29's so that is a huge score. just need to get the compressor and install kit.

Also I finally dove into the T case in the parts rig and it definitely has a part time kit in it. thinking I am going to sell that to try and fund some chromo front axles. I don't really need part time with how I use my truck.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:34:01 PM »
so in an effort to keep  wheeling but also being unemployed and broke I have been concentrating on free mods to help. I decided to build some 2" spring spacers to keep my 37's from rubbing in the back so much while wheeling. for the front I copied the Metaltech style. Because I had the bump stop holders from the parts truck I decided to just cut those up and add a plate to make the 2" spacer easy and fast for the front. them made up some 2" metal rear spacers and modified the bump stops to drop them some.
Pictures don't really show the height much but it definitely clears the 37's better.

I also added a CB and a non ground plane antenna and cord I had in the attic for ever for some quick cheap trail coms.

hoping to go find some snow Sunday to go test it all out.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
that is a 20' stick of 1-3/4" tube on the truck in the background too. debating on what I should tackle first, sliders or rear bumper?

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:45:21 AM »
rocker panels are alot tougher to repair than a rear quarter, and look like :pokinit: too.  i vote sliders🤙
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
rocker panels are alot tougher to repair than a rear quarter, and look like :pokinit: too.  i vote sliders🤙
yeah I was leaning that way. just need to figure out the front driver portion on these rigs because their cat converters hang low. I have been wanting to cut those out anyways. it really needs a smaller muffler too, the stock one is huge and hangs super low.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
sorry I have been lacking on the updates so here is a blast of stuff.
finally got the gears installed. instead of pulling the diff with the spartan in it i used another third i had from a fj60 and put in the detroit i had laying around for the fj40 project. ended up having to clearance the housing some for the gears to fit well and then had to do alot of work on the detroit to make the center pin go in and out and work with my semi float axle. really made me wish i had a full float, this job would have went alot quicker.

Instead of grinding on the gears a bunch i decided to modify the center pin on the sides that dont touch the axle shaft when installed. i still had to trim the gears a little but nothing even close to the pattern. I also had to shorten the retainer bolt that holds in the center pin to clear the end cap.

the pin moved more than i liked after clearancing so i added some little welds to help keep it from walking around and then filed them down to fit tight

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
i installed the pinion with a solid pinion spacer and took a long time there to get it right and ended up with an acceptable pattern.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
on to the front.

I ordered new bearings and gears from marlin with gift cards i had saved up and a good friend of mine from alaska sent me a new in the box ARB locker he never had a chance to use and had sold off the project.

this is the new 29 spline 8"HP pinion vs the old 27 spline. MORE BEEF!

definietly going to get the 29 spline stuff when i build the diffs for the fj40. 2 splines does not sound like much in thickness until you see them side by side.

setup here with a solid spacer as well went smoother without all the carier massaging for the center pin. gear pattern turned out ok

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
now i needed air for the locker. iwas too cheap for the ARB unit so i went on amazon and found one that would go to a high enough PSI for the locker. ended up on this unit for around 45 bucks

also added a pressure switch to control on off by pressure

plumbed in on the outlet of the compressor head.

it was a metric thread so i took the compressor apart and tapped it for 1/4" NPT to use standard fittings. this was delicate work as it was a cast aluminum part and it was soft but i achieved good results and it ended up sealing up well. been running it for a couple months now with no bad results.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:25:59 PM »
snow wheeled that a little then realized my shocks were drastically limiting the down travel with the 2" spacers so i looked up the part numbers for the cheap procomp shocks and ordered some from summit.
overall added about 3" of travel and 5" of droop. still really soft shocks and it is not ideal for the road but does great at moderate speeds on the forrest roads getting to trail heads and works well on the couple trails i have hit so far with them. well worth the roughly 45 dollar a piece price tag.

pin/pin shocks are the fronts, pin/bushing are rear. all mounted in stock locations.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:30:05 PM »
fronts are about perfect bump stop location, maybe could even raise them back up a little and get a little more out of the front. I also dropped the front sway bar to help get it to flex a little more.

rear needs the bumps dropped a little or a little more fender trimming. once i get time i am going to try and open the rear fenders a little more before i paint the whole truck one color.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »

I have decided to try and end my unemployment by starting my own business:

https://highoctanespirits.com/

I am opening my own Craft Distillery in Naches Wa inspired by Motorsports. I don't want to give to much away until i have actual label approvals but i am hoping to do some wheeling inspired spirits including a over-lander gin.

Please follow and like on social media to help me get the word out!!!

bordain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2021, 01:53:46 AM »
Good luck on your new venture!

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks man. It has been a battle so far getting through permitting but it is still moving.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
well, Christmas came early for me this year:

My wife encouraged me buy these RCV's to help make sure the girls would be able to enjoy the snow wheeling season without breakdowns.  She is a keeper!!

they had initially said 6-8 weeks and they showed up in 2. now to get them in there.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
well, thought i only had a twisted sector shaft from tagging a tree last time i went out but turns out the damage was a little bit more severe.

looks like it is time to plate the frame and gusset the panhard mount while i take the front axle apart to install the RCV's