Author Topic: pinion angle & Marlift springs  (Read 1418 times)

the pawnbroker

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
pinion angle & Marlift springs
« on: Apr 09, 2005, 03:58:06 PM »
okay, I'm a little bit stuck...
I just got my marlift trail flex kit, and got the front springs in place.WITHOUT putting the dropped spring hanger in place, it looks like these springs give me ALOT of lift.
The thing is, it looks like these springs are giving me a very bad pinion angle in front.
Am I gonna have to cut/turn my axle to make this work? Anybody else use these yet?
Also, do I HAVE to use the dropped spring hanger on the front springs? Looks like all it does is give me even more lift.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: pinion angle & Marlift springs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2005, 05:56:40 PM »
running the drop hanger will probably  make your pinion angle  correct or near to correct.. im asumming  thats why  its part of it.   you could not run it and  rotate  everything ..  but its probably easier to put a hanger on and run a small set of shims than going about moving perches and rotating knuckles.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Supra 4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:44:33 PM »
I am in the process of installing my Marlin front springs. Finished everything but the U-bolt flip and making some new shackles. I estimate about 6 inches of lift and my stock length shackles hit the frame. I am goint to make some 4 inch long (hole to hole) straight shackles. I mounted mine to the stock front mount too. I hope they settle some. I also have Marlins high steer kit and have installed the mounts and tie rod only (waiting for my mount kit). The tie rod hits the springs whenI was checking flex for shock length. I am going to move the axel forward one notch and think this will fix that .
1985 4Runner, 33" Boggers, rear spool, TJM front bumper, custom rear w/tire carrier, custom rock slider. Sold my 84 ExtraCab w/ Supra 5MGE to buy this 4Runner so my wife and kids could go with me.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2005, 09:20:25 PM »
The drop hanger will give you the correct pinion angle or close to it.  Plus when you put the hanger on you should also move your front axle forward to keep the tires out of the fender.  The springs were desinged to go with that crossmember, so that would be the best thing to do.

mxpro_156

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Member since Apr '05
  • 5th GEAR PINNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2005, 11:04:03 PM »
Could you post a pic of your truck with the trail flex kit???I think that I want to buy it soon.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
yea,,i think that spring is designed to run the drop bracket,,so with out it,,yea,,you might have a shitty angle..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!