Author Topic: Marlin Crawler closed, out of business?  (Read 3386 times)

alabamatoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
Marlin Crawler closed, out of business?
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:26:06 PM »
Calls to the store go unanswered ("we are currently closed for the night" at 2PM ??) and my order was placed 2 weeks ago, no ship.

The last time I bought from MC, I got this bull crap runaround, and I swore I wouldnt buy from MC again, but I tried again, and once again, Im disappointed.  No more.

WTF is with this company?  2 weeks and counting to ship some body pucks?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: Marlin Crawler closed, out of business?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
Think about how many toyotas are on the trails these days. Figure marlin has parts on large percentage of those, then look at how many employees they have.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

alabamatoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
Think about how many toyotas are on the trails these days. Figure marlin has parts on large percentage of those, then look at how many employees they have.

Oh, yeah, OK, that makes it all right to have such shitty customer service.  They are making a LOT of $$, so they can hire someone to answer the bleeping phone and respond to customer support queries (neither of which they have done).

No, it doesnt make it OK to be a PoS service provider.  Yes, MC has some unique and high quality stuff, but their customer service is in the toilet.  I dont get this kind of BS from Trail-gear or Lowrange or any other aftermarketer.  I wont buy from MC again, no more.  And I will tell every Toyota owner I know what nonsense I have experienced with MC.  Its not acceptable to sit on my order for 2 weeks.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
Oh, yeah, OK, that makes it all right to have such shitty customer service.  They are making a LOT of $$, so they can hire someone to answer the bleeping phone and respond to customer support queries (neither of which they have done).

No, it doesnt make it OK to be a PoS service provider.  Yes, MC has some unique and high quality stuff, but their customer service is in the toilet.  I dont get this kind of BS from Trail-gear or Lowrange or any other aftermarketer.  I wont buy from MC again, no more.  And I will tell every Toyota owner I know what nonsense I have experienced with MC.  Its not acceptable to sit on my order for 2 weeks.

I've complained about the lack of customer-busniess communication before, not relating to Marlin Crawler. all my phone calls have been answered after a few tries and all my stuff has been on my doorstep 3 days after ordering. If you REALLY hate doing business with Marlin Crawler, then why didn't you order from one of the hundreds of other dealers that sell Energy Suspension body mounts?

something tells me this thread is going to end up like your last 'marlin crawler sucks blah blah blah' thread you made 2 years ago. I wonder if your complaints are actually legitimate or if you're another 'not in the system' 1 star review?
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
I heard that they have backwoods goop on back order too...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
Notice he only has 2 posts. That amounts to 2 complaints. I have experienced both quick delivery and slow delivery, but always got my parts, and they were always quality.  I can't say that about the tg parts that I've waited and waited and waited for.  You can't expect to get personal service, hand delivered to your door like you're their only customer.  If "stuff" needs to be made or rebuilt to fill your order and if they are doing a batch, then guess what, you get to wait.  There's no "instant coco" in the Off-Road business.  Blow your smoke somewhere else, not many people are gonna believe your whinny "I want my parts and I demand them right now" attitude.  Go buy the cheap junk and we'll drive by you and wave at you on the trail.   :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
I didn’t know they sold body pucks?  Seems like a odd item to purchase from Marlin as an “only” item, especially after a bad first buying experience.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Crocks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Everything and everytime I ordered form MC I was more than happy with the parts and the customer service. I have a red rig though. Marlin likes these. maybe paint yours? :hammerhead:
Shambs old 85 runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0
Since I've added, ARP knuckle studs, MC short throw, MC dual case mount. Arb front locker. Arb twin compressor, new rear seats and carpet

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
Sorry for being so short with you, but when you come onto the forum (not the place to get your order straightened out) and start ranting about Marlin's lack of customer service, we tend to get a little defensive.  The best way is to e-mail them, and Trevor or Brennen will get back to you when they can.  They Always close Early on Fridays, so if you only call after noon on Friday expect to get no answer, they're out Wheelin', just like us, heading out to somewhere Not City. One of the things to remember is that when a big event like King of The Hammers or any other is coming up, All of us are buying parts so we can show off our new Marlin stuff at the Big Event, so a lot of stuff is going out the door and being manufactured/rebuilt to replace said merch.  They may not have it right now, but they will get it to you as soon as they have it and it'll be good quality.  Patience, my friend, and good things will come to you.   :thumbs:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,258
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:59:45 AM »
Sorry for being so short with you

This unhappy person is the type that will always find something to b-i-t-c-h about. 

It's a very nice diplomatic reply, but I think you wasted your time.

If it wasn't for Marlin's Crawler t-case, I probably would never have wheeled my Toyota!  His genius, dedication, and product contributions to the early Toyota owners and to the 4-wheeling sport has been remarkable and a blessing!

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 03:07:31 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:10:31 AM »
I think it’s clear that there’s room for improvement with the customer service at Marlin Crawler. It’s well known that they try their treat everyone as their only customer which is great, but there’s enough experiences where people cannot get through on the phone or seemingly poor communication when parts are not shipped in a timely way. Has to be some middle ground somewhere. 

This particular complaint is odd because the purchased item isn’t unique from Marlin and appears to be the only item purchased. I love Marlin Crawler but wouldn’t purchase something like this from them because there are more efficient options.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

alabamatoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:22:02 AM »
So here it is 1 month after ordering the item, and not one word from MC.  No sorry, backordered, no hey we are all at KoH, nothing.  I like some of MCs stuff, but they have an awful attitude towards customer service and Im done with them.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »
So here it is 1 month after ordering the item, and not one word from MC.  No sorry, backordered, no hey we are all at KoH, nothing.  I like some of MCs stuff, but they have an awful attitude towards customer service and Im done with them.

Youve been told you aren't getting sympathy here....if you have issues with MC pick up the phone.  Otherwise next time order from AZ.  That seems morr your speed.

hold this. . .

alabamatoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »
I want to make sure that my fellow 4x4ers who might wander by here know what crappy customer service Marlin is giving (or not giving?).  Your response seems very petty, attacking me for complaining of the inability to contact Marlin via phone or email (I have attempted both).

Doesnt matter, I will contact Visa tomorrow after giving the Marlin phone number one last try.  If no ship tomorrow, MC can take it up with Visa and the BBB.

I dont know what "AZ" is that you are suggesting I should order from.  My speed?  My speed is slow and steady.  I have owned my Toyota rock crawler since it came off the showroom floor in 1986.  I learned to drive in a '76 Bronco, 3-on-the-tree.  BTW, Gnob, I like your avatar, especially since you stole the idea from me.  I chose my Aisin hub avatar almost 20 years ago when pirate4x4 first started letting us have unique avatars.  My por4x4 member number was something in the mid-2000s, but I abandoned it some time around 2012 or whenever it was that Pirate sold out to the Canadian company.

So my "speed" is based on probably many more years of offroad experience that you have even been breathing.

Dont make personal attacks.  Dont defend MC piss-poor customer service.  And never underestimate us old guys.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
We area all aware that sometimes the customer service at Marlin Crawler is not perfect at time and can leave a lot to be desired.  Our issue with you, and a few others that pass through, is that you have five posts and they are all related to complaints.  The forum is not a customer service gateway for Marlin Crawler and all of the active forum members are aware of the issues that some customers have and unfortunately it seems to be part of doing business with Marlin Crawler.  I've personally not had an issue but have not ordered anything in a long time and never when I was in any rush.  I've had the experience of having to call multiple times to get through and also having it answered on the first attempt.  It seems to be hit or miss.

Did you order anything this time that was unique to Marlin Crawler?  I'm honestly curious why you would order from them based on your first experience if this is your response to having a similar 2nd experience.  It clearly frustrates you.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »
First off I am locking down this post.  Your point has been made.  And I am linking this to a Mod page, and if Mike wants to post up, he will. 

Secondly, Alabamatoy, I am sorry you are having issues with Marlin Crawler.  If you truly knew the company, you would know the nature of the beast when it comes to the offroad industry.  Yeah, you can get stuff elsewhere, but the warranty might or might not be covered.  I am hearing more horror stories of how other companies are not standing behind their warranty.  But Marlin does, and sometime with his products we have to wait.  As you will find out with all the other "Best" offroading companies. Many of us have shook Marlin's hand, and had him wrench on our rigs on the trail, and never asked for money.  He just gives us a cheeky smile, and tells us a story about the history of some random Toyota part. 

Third, Marlin Crawler is closed on Fridays.  The reason is they work long hours, and not only they need time for family, and they also need time to wheel.

And lastly, I agree with some of the other guys, that alot of people create accounts just to pregnant dog about their experience on here, and we don't tolerate that.  We take pride in this forum, you attack Marlin, Mike or the company, its like you are attacking us personally.  They are our friends, and treat us like family.  This forum is separate from the website.  Mike runs both, and the forum is to help those with questions and needs.  And share experiences with one and another in a family friendly forum.  And most of us will defend Marlin, Mike and the gang.  And their products.  Yes, many of us have expressed our concern about product availability with them personally.  I know I have, many of times in person.  But I am assured that quality is much higher in small batches instead of larger ones. 

Lastly, go to this page and send them an email, and they should get back to you as soon as they can. 
https://www.marlincrawler.com/contact

Thank you!
Cheesemaker
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 07:14:53 PM by Cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen