Author Topic: Exorcising an engine gremlin.  (Read 9938 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: Exorcising an engine gremlin.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
and unusual yes. people do weird things

For instance: removing a tail light baffle, replacing an oil pressure switch with a sheet metal screw, using a grease zerk for a brake bleeder, not tightening oil pan bolts, adjusting valve clearance to zero, advancing timing to 17*btdc, cutting wires to the trailer brake hitch, and destroying (but not fixing) the rear brakes by towing with the E-brake on.

All of those things have been done to my truck, and it would not surprise me in the least to find random parts missing. See why I'm a little nervous about what might be inside my engine?

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »
OK, got some pics.

Here is the tube that comes out of the valve cover and enters the air cleaner. This oil here is a quite recent development, definitely since the PCV valve and hose replacement.

Here is the front end of the engine below valve cover. I've wiped it twice since PCV replacement.

Further down on the front of the engine, oil accumulated starting since before I got this truck.

Top of the oil pan, showing leaky gasket:

Underside of the oil pan, where it mixes with road dirt.

Based on the oil coming out the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner, it seems likely that I have blow-by forcing it out. But if the rings are good and I adjusted the valve clearance five months ago, where could blow-by come from??

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,272
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #32 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
OMG Lewis!!!  You need to get about 3 cans of engine degreaser and drive that thing to a car wash booth and CLEAN IT!!   :willynilly:

If you do that, wrap a plastic shopping bag around the alternator and the distributor.  After you clean all the oil off, you should be able to see where the oil is leaking from.

If your engine is NOT blowing smoke, you’ve got leaks from a bad hose connections, a bad or incorrect PCV valve or rubber grommet, or you have over filled your crankcase.  If you have not replaced the rocker cover gasket and the two plugs…. You need to do that.  Make sure you do not over tighten the 4 acorn nuts that hold the cover on.
The gasket kit comes with molded cover gasket, 2 head plugs, and the 4 grommets for the cover studs.

How fresh is your air filter?  Is the filter canister factory?  If the air  filter gets REALLY plugged up, the engine vacuum will increase slightly as it tries to suck air from least resistance.... through the PCV valve if the hoses are tight and the air canister is tight and sealed well.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 06:53:03 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,523
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
The gunk may be keeping the oil in :rofl2:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,272
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »
The gunk may be keeping the oil in :rofl2:

Haahhahahahahahahhahahh@@ LOL!!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Those hoses look pretty bad, old and cracked... Like mine! I'd replace the hoses for the breather to aircleaner. Might make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »
Replacing that hose wouldn't be a bad idea. I've already replaced more hoses on this truck than I care to think about, and one more or less won't make a difference. I'm not complaining about replacing hoses, though. It's just part of owning a vehicle at this mileage.

Will fuel line resist oil better than ordinary vacuum hose? I have some scraps of fuel line sitting around that might fit.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
That looks just like the 20r my 1980 :).  It's been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
So a coat of old dirty oil makes engines more dependable?

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
So a coat of old dirty oil makes engines more dependable?

Might be good luck?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
I own some pretty crappy pieces of vehicles. My parts trucks aren't even that dirty. Clean that thing and show it some love. It will love you back.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #41 on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
OMG Lewis!!!  You need to get about 3 cans of engine degreaser and drive that thing to a car wash booth and CLEAN IT!!   :willynilly:

If you do that, wrap a plastic shopping bag around the alternator and the distributor.  After you clean all the oil off, you should be able to see where the oil is leaking from.

If your engine is NOT blowing smoke, you’ve got leaks from a bad hose connections, a bad or incorrect PCV valve or rubber grommet, or you have over filled your crankcase.  If you have not replaced the rocker cover gasket and the two plugs…. You need to do that.  Make sure you do not over tighten the 4 acorn nuts that hold the cover on.
The gasket kit comes with molded cover gasket, 2 head plugs, and the 4 grommets for the cover studs.

How fresh is your air filter?  Is the filter canister factory?  If the air  filter gets REALLY plugged up, the engine vacuum will increase slightly as it tries to suck air from least resistance.... through the PCV valve if the hoses are tight and the air canister is tight and sealed well.

Gnarls.

I 2nd this.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
How's the oil pump O-ring? Or the front seal? Mine leaks a bit, which slings oil up. Might wanna check.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2017, 01:14:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Toybrota. On my truck, I've learned to assume that any part is bad unless I explicitly know otherwise, so I'll have a look sometime.

Re the comments about cleaning. It's something I really need to get to... dirty engines hide trouble. I've just either had other obligations or more pressing things to fix. But I can only put the cleanup off so long, I suppose

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
The front oil seal may be the culprit.

Incoming airflow then blows the oil all over the engine.

Only use a Toyota front seal..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #45 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
The front oil seal may be the culprit.

Incoming airflow then blows the oil all over the engine.

Only use a Toyota front seal..........
Couple that up with a speedy sleeve to make sure she doesn't leak! Also, might as well do a new oil pump if it's worn...

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #46 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
Luis, if I was in your boat, I'd go ahead and thoroughly clean the engine, like Gnarly said, degreaser!!! That and a pressure washer should do the trick just nicely.

With the topic of oil pump, I personally think it's the problem. That, or, check your mechanical fuel pump for leaks, since it goes into the head above the timing cover there is a lot of oil that can leak from there.  At least in my experience. I had a real bad leak that turned out to he the fuel pump gaskets (there's two)

Might as well do the front seal too, doesn't hurt! Try and get an official Toyota one. And a speedy sleeve. Just what I'd do!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
I want to see a picture of your engine from above and not 3 inches from it.  I want to see the entire engine in one shot with breather in place
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
then a video of the engine running at idle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
thanks for the pics. did someone paint the block blue? if so, I would assume the motor was out at one time. I would pull it again and redo all the seals and gaskets with toyota parts or stop right there, count your losses and buy a longblock from the links Matt posted, then sell your old block to 300k for his collection and the cam to Gnarly so he can have a stock cam.

any engine with 170psi compression doesnt need a damn thing done to it.  you don't have blow by and that much compression at the same time.
How many miles on the truck/engine?
if its got thousands of miles after a redo then its no big deal just wash it off

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2017, 11:37:56 PM by 79coyotefrg »

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
I took a squiz under the valve cover today. The oil separating baffle is there, and the valve lash is still good. Meanwhile, there is a constant supply of fresh oil on both the PCV valve and the crankcase breather.  I'll try to get a pic of the engine from further away this week and the video as Glen requested. I'll also redo the compression check and verify the numbers. I looked at the area around the front main seal; this area is clean, so oil probably isn't leaking there (yet).

One thing I noticed while turning the crankshaft with a wrench to check valve lash: When I turn the crankshaft, a hissing sound emerges from somewhere in the bottom end of the engine, audible through the open area around the timing chain. Is this normal?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
One thing I noticed while turning the crankshaft with a wrench to check valve lash: When I turn the crankshaft, a hissing sound emerges from somewhere in the bottom end of the engine, audible through the open area around the timing chain. Is this normal?

that's the little bit of compression made by turning the engine over by hand.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
that's the little bit of compression made by turning the engine over by hand.

Can't be; all the spark plugs were out. And if it were, that would be some serious blow-by happening.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #53 on: Nov 12, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »
Can't be; all the spark plugs were out. And if it were, that would be some serious blow-by happening.
It's normal, mine does it too. And kine doesn't leak a bunch.