Hey all, I finally have got around to being able to rebuild my front knuckles.
I figured I'd make a write up about it and show everyone.
I know it's been done and shown a million times, but I wanted to show my personal perspective on what I encounter with the build process.
Being that my truck has over 300K miles on it, I figured the trunions, wheel bearings, and all the other miscellaneous parts could been updated.
My axle exhibited the same leaking inner axle seals that everyone else encounters at one time or another.
I apologize about the photos not being in order.
I purchased Low Range Off Road's "Ultimate knuckle rebuild kit" as it was on sale for only $280. I chose this over the Marlin as I wanted to not only support a local business (I live in SLC) But also because it came with the specialty tools.
The parts in both kits are identical as far as I can tell, apart from the inner axle seals. After seeing so many forum posts about the Marlin Eco Seals, I bought a pair! Meaning I have 3 sets of inner seals... Of course I'm using the Marlin.
I even work for a Toyota dealer here in Utah and decided against using my discount on parts as I can't justify using parts that could be upgraded with better ones.
This kit also came with the Backing plate eliminator kit, which for my situation (No Highsteer) I figured would be Overkill, but to hell with it I'll use it anyways.
However, the kit was missing some stuff, namely the hub O-rings and spindle studs. Quick call down south of me and they are on the way.
I plan to do this rebuild in 3 stages, drivers knuckle first, then passenger, and then rebuild the hubs. To most it would make sense to rebuild all at once, but my truck is a daily, so I'll just do a knuckle a weekend.
I'm excited to start this weekend, I'm gonna get some high quality Moly grease for the Birf's, which hopefully aren't too worn out!
I'll update more as it comes along.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk