Author Topic: TRevv's TRunner  (Read 30961 times)

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
TRevv's TRunner
« on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
Back story: I wheeled my IFS lifted carburetor 86 Ext cab pick up for a couple of years, then got rid of that, bought a single cab 91 pick up, that i straight axled, locked, geared, custom bobbed flat bed, ect.  Had a great time with my 91, i love that truck.  However, I decided 2 things. Decision 1: Its time to go bigger and better.  Its time for links, dual cases, select able lockers front and rear, 37's (the list goes on  :laugh:). Decision 2: I want more seats.  Ive always lived my life with the more the merrier perspective.  I love having people around, entertaining and and sharing my fun with others.  In my 91 I have the two race seats, 1 for me, one for my fiance, so i could never take people. Plus one day ill have kids and want seats for them too.   So for reason number 2 this 91 as great as it is, isn't going be the one to build big and bad like I'm thinking.  So It became time to build a 4 runner. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
Re: TRevv's TRunner
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Looking through 4 runners (mostly 2nd gen, and 3rd gen, not a fan of 1st gen) here and there, not really having money for one until i sell my truck, but just looking, dreaming, drooling. This 2nd gen 4runner randomly pops up on a local 4wd page i follow on facebook. runs but over heats (3.0 problem), stock, unmolested, automatic trans...$400.  Of course this catches my attention.  Not a fan of the 3.0, but i dont have the money to buy anything new enough to have a 3.4, and i wont wheel an automatic, its just not in me.  But for $400... i can put a man trans in it, and maybe later put a 3.4 in it.  I call the guy and make sure he has a pink slip for this car ( i dont want to buy stolen property) he does.  Im there. Start checking everything out. ***wait... is this a 2wd 4runner? crap...how did i not notice looking at the pics or ask that? but im already planning a SAS and a trans swap, so i guess it doesn't matter. talked the guy down to 350 with "oh i wasnt expecting a 2wd, idk if i want it" went to fire it up, battery was junk, pulled mine out of my truck and it fired right up.  The guy looks at me and says "Oh my god, its never started that easy, i dont know if i want to sell it now" haha, i didnt drive down here to work on your stuff for free buddy, no we already agreed on 350.  drove it on to the trailer, handed him his money, got the pink and was on my way home.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »
SR5,  pretty clean, especially for $350 and i drove it around and on to the trailer. not bad.  :hahaha:

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
no links please
Lets go camping

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
no links please

No links for now. That was my original plan was a 4WU links front and rear right off the bat. However that would take every ounce of what im selling my 91 for, plus im not quite ready to buy a diamond housing yet and i dont think a stock housing would hold up too well over time with the link system.  So for now it will get All pro Springs all the way around, leaving me money for the important things like dual cases, gears and lockers.  (a linked 2wd, stock geared truck wouldnt make it far on the rubicon :rofl2:) But in time the links will come.  I am determined to at one point own a linked rig.  And im planning on keeping this one for awhile.  Looking at the long game with this build, instead of whatever to get it going. 

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
I just blew the dust off my key board for this build. I think you are off to a good start. It is better to build it as you go then slam it for the weekend. In time you can link it up when the resources allow it. In the mean time you'll have a rig capable of any trail from Rubicon to Johnson Valley.
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
Kept running it, trying different things to see why it was getting hot.  Went to put water in the radiator for like the 4th time and saw the galaxy in my cooling system (bits of stop leak floating around).  Great.  Well no need to keep testing, with stop leak through the whole cooling system im going to pull the motor and tear the block down.  Gotta make sure all of that is out.  So time for rebuilding the head, decking the block, checking my pistons and rings. Going to stud the block with ARP head studs, put a multi-layered steel head gasket on it.  New water pump, thermostat, radiator.  If youre going to do it, do it right, you know?

Pics to come.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
don't forget to flush the heater core  :twocents:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
Great foundation, wife has 94' 3.0 5-spd, loves it, won't let me change anything. Rebuilt the 150 and 3.0 for the hell of it annd that's all she'll let me do. Nice rig, I'll be watching for more ideas.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
bota boom! Nice Trev! 2wd makes it easier for hackin crap off! but I believe your oil pan may need changed look into that while youre in the engine.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
don't forget to flush the heater core  :twocents:

Thank you. I would have forgot about that.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
bota boom! Nice Trev! 2wd makes it easier for hackin crap off! but I believe your oil pan may need changed look into that while youre in the engine.

I believe you're correct, and Ive already looked into one. I got a line on a 3.0 rear sump out of a t100 if i need it.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
The motor tear down begins

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
Oh ya... this is what everyone wants to see when starting a project... looks like a rats nest tucked into the engine  :shake_head:

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
WOOHOO!! ITS OUT! :clap: :thumbs:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »
That's what 3.0 is good for. So now it's going 3.4 right?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
I wish i had the money for a 3.4 swap. But its just going to be a good rebuild and bulletproofing on the 3.0  .  The 3.0 gets a bad wrap but its a good motor when its taken care of correctly.  But since I'm building it, I'm going all out on it.  ARP head studs, MLS head gasket, headers, make sure this thing is stout.  Once I do that ill never have to get back into this motor, and a 3.4 is an extra 40 HP (150 BHP in the 3VZ/ 190 BHP in the 5VZ).  Not worth the thousands of dollars to do a 3.4 swap. 

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
Thousands? For what your spending on this 3.0 I would think you could buy a complete 3.4 vehicle wrecked. I just bought a complete 3.4 taco that was rolled for $600. They are everywhere here cheap.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
Thousands? For what your spending on this 3.0 I would think you could buy a complete 3.4 vehicle wrecked. I just bought a complete 3.4 taco that was rolled for $600. They are everywhere here cheap.

I don't know where you're at, but in my area they aren't around that cheap, and plus id want to rebuild it if I got one anyway.  Its out so do it.  So id have the price of the motor, plus wiring harness, computer, and everything else, and the rebuild, or the purchase price of a donor vehicle plus a rebuild, and then trying to pass California smog with a motor swap :thumbdown: pain.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:31:56 PM »
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it." -TRevv

I hope you can get your ET to run soon.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it." -TRevv

I hope you can get your ET to run soon.

HAHA. making this my new tag line. :rofl:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrWyr3HgXI

Yup that's where I got it from and made big mike watch Larry the Enticer coming back from the Rubicon.  That guy is great.  :clap: :hahaha:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
Over five and a half million views........... :thud:

I love his glasses falling half off.

"Another day, another beer"
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
got the motor all torn down, ready for rebuild.  PUMPED!!!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »
got the motor all torn down, ready for rebuild.  PUMPED!!!

i expect a crazy paint scheme and blower.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
i expect a crazy paint scheme and blower.

A blown 3.0? :rofl:  :haha: Paint scheme? somewhat.  Stay tuned and find out. wait... sorry, i meant im pumped (excited) for the build not that the motor is going to be pumped up. just bored .20 over and new rings, pistons, resurfaced head, decked block, new water pump, oil pump, timing, MLS head gasket, and carb legal long tube headers.  Just freshening everything up while its out.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Found the source of my overheating issue was someone who tried to rebuild the motor before put the left head gasket on the right and right on the left, blocking water ports... (no circulation)...Idiots. Also found this gem, oil coolant port completely plugged with rust.  But all in all the block and cylinders look good. Everything looks like a good platform to start to build  :D :shades: :thumbs:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #28 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
A blown 3.0? :rofl:  :haha: Paint scheme? somewhat.  Stay tuned and find out. wait... sorry, i meant im pumped (excited) for the build not that the motor is going to be pumped up. just bored .20 over and new rings, pistons, resurfaced head, decked block, new water pump, oil pump, timing, MLS head gasket, and carb legal long tube headers.  Just freshening everything up while its out.

blown 3.0 its what they like to do anyways. so go the other direction and slap a screamer on it.

on a side note. nice catch
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:30:03 PM »
on a side note. nice catch

If you're referring to the oil cooler port being plugged, that was Marlin who caught that.  He went over this whole thing pretty well.  So he found all the wrong parts and told me what I need to order.  Its great having such a knowledgeable person helping me out, couldn't have asked for anything more.  Super excited to working on this project with the man himself and the team here.  They're a great group and are super helpful.