Author Topic: Help!!! I put gear oil in restrict pin w56 4runner 85  (Read 9151 times)

ArloMyles

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Help!!! I put gear oil in restrict pin w56 4runner 85
« on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
I am a super newb and I was really excited to when i bought a 4 x 4 with 35's on it. I wanted to do all the fluids. I was attempting to change the transmission fluid in my manual 85 4runner and I was not able to get the fill plug off. I researched filling the transmission through the clutch and apparently you can fill the transmission fluid through the clutch. I located a plug that I thought went into the clutch and then began to put in gear oil because I thought it went into the transmission. Turned out to be a restrict  pin just underneath where the clutch inserts into the transmission. I am now getting very high rpms in all my gears and I'm not able to get it up to speed. How can I fix this issue? Please help!  I was able to properly fill the transmission and take it for a test drive but it still presenting the same issues.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
What do you mean by fill it through the clutch? You can pull the shifter off and fill it.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Sounds like you may have saturated clutch with oil  :shudder:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New clutch is the solution
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sounds like you might have filled your clutch cavity with gear oil, clutch replacement might now be in your future. Get a Factory service manual/FSM and learn or have someone qualified check this out for you. For future refference you CANNOT fill your trans through the clutch.  :welcome:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

ArloMyles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was able to refill the transmission through the clutch but at first I attempted to to refill it through these pins.

ArloMyles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ok thanks!

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
If you got oil in the clutch, it should be running out the hole at the bottom of the bellhousing.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I"ve added oil by just taking the shifter out........

Show a picture of the fill plug.     

Did you round it off?    You may be able to get it loose with hammer and chisel.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I could NOT remove the filler plug on the side of my transmission.  I filled the transmission through the pressure sensor hole.  It sits slightly above the filler hole, so I just used a bent a tie wrap and dipped it into the oil to gauge the level of oil.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2017, 05:49:27 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

...   You may be able to get it loose with hammer and chisel.

He's JOKING!!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I was able to refill the transmission through the clutch but at first I attempted to to refill it through these pins.

I am not understanding what you are trying to say. It is not possible to "refill the transmission through the clutch". The clutch consists of a flywheel, friction disk, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. All of which is located inside of the bellhousing. It is dry inside the bell housing. If you put gear oil inside of the bell housing it would simply pour back out of the bottom. It is not a sealed unit.  :headscratch:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
He's JOKING!!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.

Actually he's  probably not. If the plug is rounded and you can't get it off you can it it off by putting a chisel on the side and hit it in the direction to loosen the plug. It's pretty effective.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I've done this more than once.
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Actually he's  probably not. If the plug is rounded and you can't get it off you can it it off by putting a chisel on the side and hit it in the direction to loosen the plug. It's pretty effective.

Uhhh... I would NOT take a chisel to that plug!  If you cannot loosen it leave it ALONE!!''

Gnarls.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Why?
Time to go wheelin!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Uhhh... I would NOT take a chisel to that plug!  If you cannot loosen it leave it ALONE!!''

Gnarls.
Its a common practice. When done correctly it works very well.
Maybe not a good suggestion for a rookie.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Why?

If the plug is rounded, it most likely  will not loosen - even with a chisel and hammer. If you take a chisel to it you may end up  fracturing the hole. That tranny is alloy, most likely aged.  Unless you want to risk damaging that section of tranny, it's better to remove the pressure sensor and fill it from there, or you can open up the shifter plate, but you will need to check the oil level at the pressure sensor hole.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2017, 12:26:10 PM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
If the plug is rounded, it most likely  will not loosen - even with a chisel and hammer. If you take a chisel to it you may end up  fracturing the hole. That tranny is alloy, most likely aged.  Unless you want to risk damageing that section of tranny. It's better to remove the pressure sensor and fill it from there, or you can open up the shifter plate, but you will need to check the oil level at the pressure sensor hole.

pressure sensor ?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Never seen a pressure sensor. I've seen a reverse switch before.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
If the plug is rounded, it most likely  will not loosen - even with a chisel and hammer. If you take a chisel to it you may end up  fracturing the hole. That tranny is alloy, most likely aged.

The short height of the plug is what lends itself to rounding, especially if using a 6 sided socket, or the often "close enough" standard size when not having a metric set on hand.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If the plug is rounded, it most likely  will not loosen - even with a chisel and hammer. If you take a chisel to it you may end up  fracturing the hole. That tranny is alloy, most likely aged.  Unless you want to risk damaging that section of tranny, it's better to remove the pressure sensor and fill it from there, or you can open up the shifter plate, but you will need to check the oil level at the pressure sensor hole.

That may be truw fir someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

The short height of the plug is what lends itself to rounding, especially if using a 6 sided socket, or the often "close enough" standard size when not having a metric set on hand.

Well, "what lends itself to rounding" is the idiot that over-tightened the plug!!  I tried a 6-point impact socket, and the drain plug on my W56 transmission would NOT move.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Mudmaster...  "That may be truw fir someone that doesn't know what they're doing. "

I probably don't know what I'm doing!   :help: :yikes: :inthedark:

I will keep my big hammer and chisel handy from now on.  :gap:

Gnarls.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Thank for admitting your limitations.
Time to go wheelin!

ArloMyles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I convinced a friend (with beer) who knows whats goin on to help me check it out! Thanks guys!!! :hahaha:

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have removed a butt load of rounded/stripped bolts with a hammer and chisel. And will continue to do so lol. Never damaged the component that the bolt was related to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thank for admitting your limitations.

If it weren't for MY "limitations", YOU wouldn't look so flipp'n smart!!  :thumbs:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I have removed a butt load of rounded/stripped bolts with a hammer and chisel. And will continue to do so lol. Never damaged the component that the bolt was related to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Willard,

Yeah... over the past 40 years or so, I've removed successfully a good number, probably not a butt load, of stuck bolts, twisted off bolts, rounded nuts, studs, and set screws with a chisel and hammer.

On my tranny, the filler plug was already semi-rounded from previous owners, so when I started I figured I may have trouble.  With the amount of torque I applied to it with all my tools, I was stunned that I could not turn it.  I figured there is no way hammering on it with a chisel was going to make it turn.  When I chipped a little bit of the tranny case around the plug hole I decided that fubar'ing it was not worth getting it out at that time.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 02:15:08 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Never seen a pressure sensor. I've seen a reverse switch before.

Oh.. crap....  :smack:..  all this time I thought that thing was a pressure sensor of some kind.  So, it's reverse switch? 

How does it work?  What activates it?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark: