Author Topic: 87 4runner misses when hitting 2-3rd gear  (Read 1555 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
87 4runner misses when hitting 2-3rd gear
« on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
I have searched through the forum for anything that is close to my problem and haven't found anything close. My 87 4runner with a 22re and 5 speed falls on its face when it is cold or first starts. It only does it in 2nd or 3rd gear and it stops all together when it is warmed up. My runner has 290,000 miles and it has had the TPS, O2 sensor, and fuel pump replaced within the last 10,000 miles. TPS was set to specs and fuel pump is toyota not after market if that matters. Also changed fuel filter in the last 3000 miles. Anyway the stumble-miss lasts for only a few seconds when I hit 2nd or 3rd and if I back out of the thottle it stops. OH yeah no codes in the computer and the timing is set to the correct spec as well. Anyone had anything close to this?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: 87 4runner misses when hitting 2-3rd gear
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
Bump for you. Are the spark plug wire good ? My old truck did this to me ONLY under load not when I was being easy on the gas pedal.
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the bump! I have changed the plugs wire and cap in the last 5,000 miles. I have recently noticed that it is taking more turns to start if that helps out. Could the cold start injector cause these problems? I haven't checked the coill is this something that I can, should check?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »
cold start injector only runs for a set time of i believe 10 to 12 seconds IF the sensor is sensing low enough temps. and then only sprays while cranking. if the injector is leaking it could cause the stumble.
here is how it could be happening but dont count on it:
leaking while cold and o2 sensor is in open loop so way to rich causing a stumble,
after the o2 warms up and starts adjusting fuel delivery the dribble from the leaky cold start gets compinsated for.

like i said its a long shot but still possible.
most likely i think you are having a vacume leak intermitantly, egr leak?  something like that

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
cold start injector only runs for a set time of i believe 10 to 12 seconds IF the sensor is sensing low enough temps. and then only sprays while cranking. if the injector is leaking it could cause the stumble.
here is how it could be happening but dont count on it:
leaking while cold and o2 sensor is in open loop so way to rich causing a stumble,
after the o2 warms up and starts adjusting fuel delivery the dribble from the leaky cold start gets compinsated for.

like i said its a long shot but still possible.
most likely i think you are having a vacume leak intermitantly, egr leak?  something like that

Thanks for the input I will take a look at my cold start injector and also the egr. I'll post up what I find.