Author Topic: 85 Xtra cab truggy  (Read 5140 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
85 Xtra cab truggy
« on: Mar 01, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
I've searched for some inspirational photos, and thought what better place to look than on Marlin Crawler?!

Post some pics of a second gen Xtra Cab truggy. Scale or real life..

Here's my Axial SCX10 II

And here's the tires I'm putting on it today..

I'm going to weld together a cage out of 3/16" steel rod for the rear, so no bed but hopefully some small plates to mount the rear lights..
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: 85 Xtra cab truggy
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
Here's what I'm looking at right now.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Be careful,  that stuff can get addictive.  One of my old toys.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
Be careful,  that stuff can get addictive.  One of my old toys.

Too late!

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »
You can tell excabswap just got his, no rock rash yet, lol
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
You can tell excabswap just got his, no rock rash yet, lol

Already broke off the rear bumper, toasted the servo and the heep body is already cracked and cut lol..

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Lol. Spend to money and get a good servo, no need to go through a handful of cheap one's to end up sending what you would have for the one. Also solid rod gets heavy quick, brake line is a lot lighter.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »

...no need to go through a handful of cheap one's to end up sending what you would have for the one.

Couldn't agree more!
I'm looking to spend about $65 bucks for a waterproof servo by the looks of it.. I'm told it's got way more torque than I'll ever need, so now it's not the weak point.

I made some changes last night.

Swapped out the tie rod for a beefier link I had lying around from my Revo parts...

Thing is super beef compared to the stock rtr rod

Grabbing the servo today along with another lipo. I'm going to grab a 3s I think..

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:38:32 AM »
Also, I cut the bump stops, flipped the rear shock hoops, and installed the pitbulls.. thing flexes hard!

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:02:11 AM »
You will like those tires, they grip like crazy. Definitely go to three cell the esc can handle it so no need not to.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Well, here's the before:

And here's the replacements:

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Lots of progress and I've neglected to post my updates..

Lots of progress!

Rock sliders, rear cage mount and rear cage have been really fun.

Looking forward to building the front bumper next! Going with a plate style front bumper..

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2017, 12:41:17 AM »
Well, I redid the rear cage... I like this design much better. Also added lights in the rear and skid plates.

Went on my first night run tonight too!

https://youtu.be/j5_nfS9viVA