Author Topic: #turdburglar  (Read 7583 times)

seebrookmeyer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -51
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: #turdburglar
« Reply #30 on: Aug 31, 2020, 11:53:48 AM »
Rather than deal with trimming away the existing spring hanger and cleaning up what was there from the previous bumper, decided it would be best to just lop the front 16" of the stock frame off. This also gets the frame about 2" higher than stock and should net me some more favorable up travel numbers. I am planning to push the front axle forward a few more inches than what was there before which should get the 39's out of the way of the firewall. Next up is to finish welding and plating the frame rails and get the motor set back in place to start mocking up motor mounts.

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:55:21 AM »
continuing to crawl along... 
Got the axle back from Rear End Specialities last week. ARB and 5.38's are set up and installed. Installed the shafts and hydro assist ram to verify clearances for steering. Need to tack the truss back in place but otherwise the axle is ready to get mocked up under the truck. 

Fit up the frame plates for the outside and bottom of the frame rails. These plates came from 4WU but needed a bit of love to make them fit and tie in with the new section of frame. got the motor and transmission back in position and ready for mounts to be fabricated. Once I have a landing spot for the frame side motor mounts, I will mock up some additional fish plates for the top and inside frame rails where the 2x3 frame mates to the existing frame.

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 08:00:55 AM »
Motor and transmission are back in. I don't love the mounts that came with the FROR T case crossmember. There is a fairly large span between the motor mounts and the T crossmember so once the links are in I may try to come up with another crossmember that can tie into the front side of the skid. that being said, I'm not the first person to run this crossmember so it will probably work just fine. Pretty happy with how the motor mounts came out and should be plenty strong enough for that powerful 22re...

Gnarly4X

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 4134
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #33 on: Today at 04:36:09 AM »
When read and see these posts and nice photos Im somewhat envious of the skill, talent, tools, time and money that goes into that type of fabrication.  It really does look awesome!

However, it looks structurally overkill and very heavy to me. :disturbed:

I 4-wheeled very actively (2 to 4 weekends a month) for almost 20 years. I wheeled some the hardest rockcrawling trails and challenging terrains in California, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Sonora Mexico.

My old pickup was mostly stock: 3200 lbs. 1985 Toyota pickup 22R Standard Cab, straight axle, Marlin Crawler t-case, 5-speed, 4 lift, Detroit locker rear and Lock Right in the front, 4:10 R&Ps, and 33 muds.

I only broke about 4 times as I remember a J-arm on Pritchett Canyon (my fault I backed up with wheel cranked too hard my spare was on in less than 20 minutes), and a rear leaf spring (I had a repair clamp on in 10 minutes).  I tore the rear diff drain plug on the Dusy Irshim (it was welded up in about 15 minutes by Ray Currie).  And, the driver's side motor mount broke in Moab on the Moab Rim (I had a piece a chain and bolted it on in about 15 minutes).  I never punctured a tire and had only minor to moderate body damage.  After terrorizing the rocks on trails on weekends, I drove it back and forth to work 5 days a week.

I guess I could say I was really lucky. :dunno:

Gnarls. :blah:

« Last Edit: Today at 04:59:54 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR