Author Topic: what tranny/transfer case/differential oil should I use in my 1987 toyota 4x4?  (Read 7636 times)

gdmcondev

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Playing with my childhood TOY
    • View Profile
Hi guys.

I hopefully have my order straightened out with Marlin. They said they sent the wrong parts and the correct ones are on their way.  In a previous post on HeavyDuty Clutch Kit I covered the mishap.  We shall see if it goes right this time.  I have 3 plus weeks into it and no parts yet.

Confession time.  Bought truck new September, 1987.  144,800 miles.  I do not ever remember changing the tranny/transfer case or differential fluids. The fluid being original Toyota it must be Petroleum based of some sort.  I have changed the engine oil religiously since new.  20/50 Castrol GTX.  I lived in San Diego so I guess Toyota of El Cajon used the 20/50.  It never gets too cold in San Diego and East County it does get hot.   Here in New Mexico, 7500 foot elevation.  30 degree days down to 10 degree nights and 80 degree days in summer, I have been running Castrol 10/40 GTX  I have been changing oil every 4,000 miles since day one.  I did first oil change at 500 miles I called it break in oil.

Anyway.  Due to the original fluids in the drivetrain.  What should I use in them?  If I go synthetic will the cases suddenly start leaking?  Since it is so used to Petroleum products should I stick with them? 

Tell me what you guys suggest.  Amsoil? Redline? Lucas?  Valvoline Gear Oil?

Yes the Truck is nice.  One owner, never abused.  It has been to Cabo I drove it there.  Been to Mikes, Glamas, Senators Wash, Lk. Tahoe, Meling Ranch, Valle de Guadalupe.

It is 100% stock except for 4600 Bilstiens, 31x10.50x15 tires, rough country steering stabilizer, Snug Top shell, Alpine Stereo.  Cal Custom Seat Cover and Dashmat to protect original seats and dashboard.  My Buck Folding Hunter zip tied to the 4X4 lever.  Still has original Brake rotors.  Original Clutch for now...... just put in new Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder a few months ago.  Still has original timing chain too.  Original Radiator.  Just changed Water Pump 5,000 miles ago.  Prestone Antifreeze changed every other year.   Original Paint.  A few dents from parking lots and Mexico.  Nothing that I would fix.  People stop me all the time to see if I want to sell it.  I tell them "EVERYTHING has a price.  I would not sell if for what I paid for it new"  ($9600otd-Toyota ElCajon)

Help with the fluids please so when I get the Clutch going I can do the fluids too.   

I will be picking you guy's brains for brake rotor suggestions in a future post too.

thanx

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2016, 07:58:39 PM by gdmcondev »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
How are the tranny bearings doing at 145k?

Since you've never changed the oil,  I'd run a store brand GL4 in the tranny and transfer and GL5 in the diffs for 500 miles as a flush before settling on a 75W-90 synthetic.....

Now the arguments can begin on the oil............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

gdmcondev [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
Thanx for the idea Ed.  Tranny bearings?  I think they are fine.  No noise not a lot of slop in drive train when I give it gas and let off then give it gas again.  What would I look for? Besides shavings in the oil.

Valvoline GL4 and GL5 it is.  Then Amsoil or RedLine.

I have Amsoil synthetic in my Z71 6spd Auto, transfer case and differentials. Change driveline fluids every 50k.   I run Pennzoil 5/30 Petroleum based in 5.3 V8 change every 5k. 

mtn_toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '17
    • View Profile
Good info, I'm putting in a heavier clutch soon so this helps!
'88 pickup 22RE
'06 tundra 2UZ-FE

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
If you haven't done it yet,  do the transfer case first.

The transfer case oil shouldn't really have anything in it.      So you can then use the transfer case flush oil as some of the flush oil for the transmission.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Katoner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
use the transfer case flush oil as some of the flush oil for the transmission.....
:thumbs:

gdmcondev [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
No I have not changed it yet.  GL4 is not easy to find here in Timbuktu. Great idea on the Transfer case fluid.  I did purchase those magnetic drain plugs for the change over though.

New clutch works fine.

With the 10 degree mornings it is taking a little time for the shifting to be seamless.

I need to research the heater on this Toy.  In San Diego I never paid any attention to it.  Here in the Rockies?  Darn it!  Takes for ever to defrost the windshield.  Other morning took 45 minutes to drive 12 miles.  Roads were bad. 

I know it is sac-relig......I miss my Z71.  My GF is driving it.  Modern trucks are amazing.  Heaters work, dont have to lock hubs in,  it does better in snow than my Toy.  Biggest wonder is the 5.3 ltr V8 gets better gas mileage than the 22R.  I only get 17-19 out of the 22R.  Chevy Z71 18 day in and day out.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
And for the second pass with the cleaning oil, run it thru a coffee filter before the tranny....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

gdmcondev [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
its kind of off topic.  How do I put a picture of my truck either as my avatar or just insert it into this tread?

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Under 'Profile' up top.

I think you need a minimum amount of posts (something around 15)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

gdmcondev [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile