Author Topic: Cardboard in front of Your Radiator. Winter Driving tip.....  (Read 7763 times)

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So, About 6 years ago I had to make a trip from Renton Washington to Kimberly Idaho to pick up My new puppy.
The weather had become Arctic conditions at best between here and there. I was mentally prepared for a long slow drive with a pucker factor on the high side but had no clue what I was in for. Cold, I mean COLD! There was a few times when the temps dropped as low as -10 to -20 and with a wind chill of 55MPH (safe driving speed) at some points. I can't imagine how cold it was outside the poor 4Runner on the freeways. 1987 4Runner 22re w56
During the trip I encountered temps and winter conditions I had no experience with.
The first thing I noteiced was the heater can't keep up at those temps. The windshield started to freeze and frost on the outside and the inside. It started to become impossible to see between the buckets of snow coming down the completely white road and the freezing windshield. It got to the point of completely unsafe so I had to pull off the freeway to figure something out.
The snow was so deep and coming down so fast that once I pulled off the freeway, I had to get out lock the hubs in just to make it up the off ramp. We are talking there was no tracks on the off ramp for a I90 exit. Yeh it was coming down.
So, first place I come to is a little run down gas station. Well lets fill up and figure out a plan.
Next thing I learned  :think: apparently when it gets this kind of cold out people don't shut the vehicle off when they gas up. OK! Sounds good to me.
I go inside and tell the cashier what its like out side (snomagedin), where I am going (a galaxy far far away), and
how Ducked I am (Oh I am Ducked alright).  :help:
He says "city people :hammer: , Hang on I will find You something"
I am thinking to Myself, What the hell are you going to find?
He comes back with a piece of cardboard? (pizza box to be exact)
Now I am a nice guy but, I strait up said "What the hell is that going to do"
He says "put it in front of your radiator"  :think:
Now that's a good idea. So, I walk out to the 4runner open the drivers door and say to My wife "I have an idea honey, I'm going to put this here pizza box in front of the radiator to block the air. This sound work great" My wife says "Your so smart".
Well Let me tell You what it worked awesome.....
It was still quite the challenge to drive threw the blizzard, But now we had heat and I could see threw the windshield. Thanks Cashier Guy!

So, over the years I have continued to use the cardboard trick when the temps drop even into the 30's and it works great with no negative affects. I have found that as long as the temp is below 50F there is no problem. Temps here fluctuate quite a bit 20's to 50's in the same day can occur. Don't forget to pull it out if the temps go above this or you could cause an overheat condition.  :_oops:
My 2015 Diesel F350 loves the cardboard trick. Makes a huge difference in how long it takes to warm up, without it I can drive quite a long distance with the engine not warming up.  :twocents:

I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
I guess when you grow up on the Right side of Wahington state that's just something that's a given. Winters here time for cardboard, or canvas on the tractors. Never thought of it as a Tech tip. I agree ~50* or less works great.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
snow?? snow is so over rated. 60s and 70s down here all day :gap:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,257
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
snow?? snow is so over rated. 60s and 70s down here all day :gap:

Every snowbird knows that!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I guess I kinda already have something blocking 😂😂😂

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

:)bestgen4runner [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I guess when you grow up on the Right side of Wahington state that's just something that's a given. Winters here time for cardboard, or canvas on the tractors. Never thought of it as a Tech tip. I agree ~50* or less works great.
Why have you never came over and wheeled with us?  :slap:
Local wheeler have to stick together.  :driving:
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

:)bestgen4runner [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I like how you took credit for the idea when you told the old lady about it  :rofl2:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am glad the advice is coming from an actual experience in COLD weather.  Cardboard does work, maybe I should try it here in mild western WA.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Every snowbird knows that!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.

ok for the record, I spoke WAY too soon. earlier today it was pouring rain and 40 degrees. might wake up to the much hated snow tomorrow.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I've known about this for quite a while.........
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
That trick works good.  We don't usually need it until it's like -20F but it would help with the heater.  I don't think it's a "city person" thing, it's more where you live.  When we fill anti-freeze we will use one gallon of 50/50 and one of strait anti-freeze so you end up with around a 70/30 mix.  50/50 will slush in the radiator up if it's around -29 with the wind blowing.  Then you overheat, which seems odd :).
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Yeah, this trick has been around for a long time.

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen