Author Topic: Dual case twin stick four wheel drive shifter click help!!?  (Read 3712 times)

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
So I bought the truck about a year ago and ever since I bought it the rear case ( of the dual setup)  four wheel drive lever has always clicked while driving in two wheel drive. Once you lock the hubs in noise goes away.  Noise also goes away without hubs in but shifter in four wheel drive position.  Shifter also while driving engaged will have the tendency to come out of gear.  Am I looking at just a dent issue??? Or something more serious?  Also when I first had it the front drive line was two long and would bottom out when driving on dirt roads.  Could this really have messed something up on the inside?  Thanks for the help in advance

Truck is 89 22re dual cases twin sticks in the rear

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Have someone drive next to you in a car to watch and see if the front driveling is spinning while you're driving in 2wd

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
Have someone drive next to you in a car to watch and see if the front driveling is spinning while you're driving in 2wd

Ok. Are you saying it's never disengaging?  Could I c heck that by putting it in  double low 2 hi and just walking next to it?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Possibly.. or its possible that your hubs are over greased and the grease is trying to grab the hub clutch... Could be a number of things.. might be able to just mount a GoPro down there and drive around the block...

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
You can get under there and try and turn it with it in 2wd and it'll have the same effect.

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
Possibly.. or its possible that your hubs are over greased and the grease is trying to grab the hub clutch... Could be a number of things.. might be able to just mount a GoPro down there and drive around the block...

You can get under there and try and turn it with it in 2wd and it'll have the same effect.

Ok I'm gonna have to get someone to watch me drive. I noticed driving home that it only does it when I push on the gas. In gear and coasting it won't click.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Could just be a u-joint. Rear driveshaft u-joint failure will vibrate, and your rear case is right there...

I know this because I just replaced my u-joint last week. Vibration on acceleration...

Hope you find out what it is.

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
Could just be a u-joint. Rear driveshaft u-joint failure will vibrate, and your rear case is right there...

I know this because I just replaced my u-joint last week. Vibration on acceleration...

Hope you find out what it is.

Checked all four u joints seem to be fine. I've not yet been able to have help with the drive test

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'd bet when your driving down the road if you push that right shifter on the rear case forward the clicking goes away. My 80 has the same problem. I got the case from someone already assembled and believe he messed up the detent ball and spring
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
I'd bet when your driving down the road if you push that right shifter on the rear case forward the clicking goes away. My 80 has the same problem. I got the case from someone already assembled and believe he messed up the detent ball and spring

Doing this seems to help but sometimes I feel it doesn't eliminate it completely

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I believe it's a detent issue. I said fork it, put a rubber bungee cord holding it forward and let her eat. Mine is strictly trail rig so it doesn't bother me.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck