Author Topic: Official MCR15 Registration Thread - Event: Sept 17 [REG. CLOSED]  (Read 77599 times)

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A friend of mine and I are registered to go the MCR for the first time this year. Question is what's the parking situation gonna be like.. we were planning on going up first thing Friday morning at Loon but from reading sounds like parking can be pretty sketchy.. What do you all suggest...? Go Thursday night if we can? Need to park two tow rigs/trailers...

its not horrible. you can park up at the top lot which is a couple miles back from the trail head. Look for the Helo pad...

lostbuckaroo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ok thank you!

90 sa-yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Crawlers Syndicate
    • View Profile
The list gonna be up-dated soon Big Mike? =)
90 Yota truggy 4banger dual t-cases, front linked fj80, rear t100 axle on 39 Bfg's
DD 00 Fird f250 x-cab 7.3 auto on 33's tow rig
DD 2006 yota taco prerunner
DD 82 yota 4wd on 33’s play toy
Future LONG TRAVEL toy 04 taco 4 dr. Prerunner

lowrangejames

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :clap2: :biggthumpup: :eyebrow:

So excited about this! First time going to the Rubicon.. My boss is sending me in his Tacoma , I've only wheeled it 1 time . Took it to Moab for 5 days crunched tail gate first day.. So if ya see me driving and struggling feel free to tell me to put my purse down. I'm used to wheeling a buggy not a full body truck

RawkPunx4x4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
It will be a cakewalk for you James.  I am excited!
87 Samurai with some Toyota stuff.

tacorican

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
When will the list be updated? My payment was processed on July 19th... :)

get r done

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 394
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

lowrangejames

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It will be a cakewalk for you James.  I am excited!

I think this will be an awesome way to experience the Rubicon for the first time. Lots off good people and cool rigs on an amazing trail. What more could I ask for?

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Maybe someday before I die I will make it to one of these....  :down:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

lowrangejames

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Maybe someday before I die I will make it to one of these....  :down:

Ya never know what tomorrow will bring . Do it while ya can!

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
  Hello Fellow  Marlin Toys   :biggthumpup:
 I would like to Join a nice group  :shades:
 Looking to join  very well Built Rigs group to join in for Friday morning Loon entrance drive.
THis is about my 13th trip to Rubi and 5thor 6th MCR.
  Rubi and Fordyce  is a Cake walk for my 4runner, Never broke on these trails.

I'm driving from Sunnyvale Thursday Night and Leaving  Placerville by 9am.
 Bringing my GF and Sister for their first time.
 85 Runner
 36 Swampers on  Bdlck
 Dual Cases
 DUal Lockers
 HD Drive shafts
 Winch
 Yada yada yada

4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
So if reg is closed can I still come?
You'll never take me alive

BudKing

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 64
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Whos Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
So if reg is closed can I still come?

From the first page

STRICT Deadline: July 31.
There will be no late registration however we will accept on-site registrations with the following penalties: a) Cost an extra $20 that will be donated to the Rubicon Trail Foundation, b) Cannot guarantee a t-shirt your size will be available, c) Cannot guarantee a meal will be available, and d) NO GRAND PRIZE TICKET.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Ok guys we finally got the list updated! Very sorry for the delay, I am having the most busy summer I think ever at work this year. Getting a lot of stuff done but have been too busy for any marketing such as the Round Up

Christine aka Mrs Crawler has been chug'n along getting all the Round Up stuff in order and we'll be ready for another GREAT EVENT IN SEPTEMBER!!

The final count is 184 rigs Officially Registered before the cutoff date!

Gonna be sa-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

get r done

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hurry up Sept... The wait is killing me. lol.  :camping:  :usa: :bananaguitar: :bananapc:

Auggydog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 My first organized event,been running Rubicon for 17 yrs.First time with the new wife(her first wheeling trip ever)...
Aiming to be at loon lake trail head by 11:00,we have a three hour plus ride up from Bay Area,looking forward to all the great people,and rigs were going to see,and greet.

get r done

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What day to most people head in? Might stay close to loon lake on Thursday night. Wont get up there till late Thursday so want to relax that night and hit the trail on Friday morning.. This also is my first group run. Just getting back into crawling after I had to sell my rig when my son was born 10 yrs ago. Single cab doesn't work with a family. Had to get me a 4runner. Just took a loooooong time to get one. lol. Dam adult :pokinit:...

Auggydog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi there guys,
If you've been running the rubicon for as many years as I have,then you must miss the good old days of overnighting on the back side of loon lake,some of the best sunrises ever.Even beter than that were the great camp sites at the little dam at spider.

One of the last trips with dad before he passed was 10 days at spider,we brought along a canoe,it truly is stunning how big the lake is,and the fishing is beyond bielief.

Now we have bot dots and closed areas ever wear,let's do are best to keep it open and " rock crawl on"

RawkPunx4x4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
5 Samurais on the Registered list. I am excited.
87 Samurai with some Toyota stuff.

90 sa-yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Crawlers Syndicate
    • View Profile
Hell yeah and the count down is on now to finish my turd  :driving:
90 Yota truggy 4banger dual t-cases, front linked fj80, rear t100 axle on 39 Bfg's
DD 00 Fird f250 x-cab 7.3 auto on 33's tow rig
DD 2006 yota taco prerunner
DD 82 yota 4wd on 33’s play toy
Future LONG TRAVEL toy 04 taco 4 dr. Prerunner

Auggydog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm hooping to finish! Waiting for rebuilt front third member,changing out rear springs,hangers shocks,yada,yada,yada.

Still need onboard air,high-lift Jack mount,oil pressure?

Tick-Tock goes the clock

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
Looks like I might have a few days off after all but the wifey can't get the time off so it looks like I might be coming down to the roundup after all!!!   Super excited ..  I am just waiting to hear if I will have a copilot. .
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Begrauger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Jul '12
  • 1986 SAS 4Runner
    • View Profile
Looks like I am going Thursday eve to Loon...

chisx

Steve-44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Feb '05
  • 511:1 club
    • View Profile
Another parking question.....  (I'm just going to do this in a hypothetical fashion so maybe it'll be easier to understand)

If you were driving a full-sized tractor-trailer to the event, what would you be concerned about?

{Amplifying info}
* Planning to go in via Loon or Wentworth (likely dependent on parking)
* I've heard the road to Loon is very steep and twisty in places.  Is that true?
* Arrival late Thursday or early Friday will severely limit parking options, especially at Loon I assume? 
   - Will Wentworth area be more open?  If so, any road conditions that make it harder to get to than Loon side?

The one true Moose

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Another parking question.....  (I'm just going to do this in a hypothetical fashion so maybe it'll be easier to understand)

If you were driving a full-sized tractor-trailer to the event, what would you be concerned about?

{Amplifying info}
* Planning to go in via Loon or Wentworth (likely dependent on parking)
* I've heard the road to Loon is very steep and twisty in places.  Is that true?
* Arrival late Thursday or early Friday will severely limit parking options, especially at Loon I assume? 
   - Will Wentworth area be more open?  If so, any road conditions that make it harder to get to than Loon side?

Wentworth springs entrance is on the same road as the turn off to loon. Steep and twisty from 50 (Ice house road) not so bad from George Town (still twisty). Loon is a right hand turn maybe 10? Miles before Wentworth (semi twisty not very steep after the turn off).

Generally I see much more parking at the Wentworth side and it's less traveled.

Have a good one,
Robert
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 02:41:51 AM by The one true Moose »

Steve-44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Thanks Robert.  Great info. 
Seems like it'll just be slow going, but not impossible for me. Was a little worried it might get too steep to retain traction. I figured Wentworth would be less fighting for parking, but I'm still looking for opinions if a tractor-trailer will have room to turn around up there.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Seems like it'll just be slow going, but not impossible for me. Was a little worried it might get too steep to retain traction. I figured Wentworth would be less fighting for parking, but I'm still looking for opinions if a tractor-trailer will have room to turn around up there.

Steve I can say I don't see you being able to turn around at the Loon parking lot. I can't speak to the wentworth one.

The one true Moose

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink

I have no experience with a full size tractor trailer. But I've seen some pretty long tow rigs (boat behind truck and 5th wheel) at the airport flat campground, I can't speak as to how they turned around though.

One place off the top of my head that might have enough room is right before the first fork at the paved road. It's a sweeping left hand turn and a fork to the right that goes to the Wentworth springs campground (this is before the turn off to bunker hill watch tower).

My group is going in on Thursday and I can show you the spot if you need or I can drop a pin on Google maps and send you the link. Pm me if you're interested.

Robert

Edit: I can actually think of another spot before the mckinstry turn off but it might be tight. It's only 3 minutes away from the first spot so I can give you a ride in my rig to check it out if we roll in together.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Trying to turn a big rig around near Wentworth will be possible but very tough. Depending on when you go in, either Loon which when empty is more then big enough just very steep, Or the Heli pad just before Loon would also work.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Steve-44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Yeah, I knew there were plenty of places if it's not busy, but obviously that isn't going to be the case on Thursday night.  :(  Originally I was going to be coming in Tahoe side Wednesday afternoon and leaving late Sunday, so wasn't worried about finding parking nor about getting blocked in.  But now the plans have changed to arrive a day later and depart a day earlier so now I'm scrambling to figure it out because I've never been to the west side before.  TMI?  haha

I just scanned the road from Airport Flats to WWS using Google satellite view and found a couple of spots that look really good and a couple more that are maybes.

And Robert, I appreciate the offer, and maybe we can exchange numbers offline in case our arrival times match up, but at the moment I can't guarantee my arrival time will be anywhere near when I hope it to be.  I don't want to have anyone waiting for me if I happen to be broke down at Fordyce.