Author Topic: Official MCR15 Registration Thread - Event: Sept 17 [REG. CLOSED]  (Read 77318 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Newbie and first time potential attendee.
What spare parts do you guys usually carry with you?

If you don't have much wheeling experience you probably shouldn't start by wheeling the Rubicon. Start small and work your way up.  :beerchug:

90 sa-yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Crawlers Syndicate
    • View Profile
I will be registering I keep forgetting haha already have the time off
90 Yota truggy 4banger dual t-cases, front linked fj80, rear t100 axle on 39 Bfg's
DD 00 Fird f250 x-cab 7.3 auto on 33's tow rig
DD 2006 yota taco prerunner
DD 82 yota 4wd on 33’s play toy
Future LONG TRAVEL toy 04 taco 4 dr. Prerunner

bknaus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Sway Bar Guru
    • View Profile
    • Hellwig Products
I dropped my registration and some raffle prizes off yesterday after work, looking forward to attending again!!!
Hellwig Products Director of Engineering
Poly Goats Club Alumni
Central Valley Crawlers Member

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Got the list updated! :woohoo:

Congratulations to the following Weekly Winners!

Doug H, Ryan B aka spplater, Nathan S, and Amber T! These four will will receive an additional Grand Prize ticket! :o
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Newbie and first time potential attendee.
What spare parts do you guys usually carry with you?

Hello Armentac! AWESOME!! Would be great to see you there! The answer to your question varies from person to person and also from rig to rig.

What I do for my 1981 shortbed is I make sure to carry items that will leave me absolutely stranded: I have an EFI engine so I carry a spare ECU, spare Igniter, spare Air Flow Meter, and spare Fuel Pump.

In addition to those, I run an electric fan and just in case it bites the dust I carry my stock mechanical fan.

I also carry a few smaller items such as a length of spare radiator hose that has multiple corners on it, a section of heater core hose, a couple misc hose clamps, spare fuses, and some other items such as extra leaf spring center pin, extra leaf spring U-Bolt, two extra tie rod ends (L & R), two used drain plugs (I've seen people loose theirs), extra shackle bolt, nut, and shackle plate, a couple used drive line bolts, used knuckle stud hardware, used hub stud hardware, couple extra lug nuts, couple extra rubber valve stems, a main bolt + nut that holds my steering box to the frame, one spare fan belt that runs my alternator and water pump, a spare rear brake line that also doubles as a clutch slave cylinder line, a brake line bung (I took a 10mm brake line fitting and welded it shut -- if I loose a brake line I can at least plug that circuit and drive as normal with 3 brakes), and last but not least, an old used radiator cap.

Then lastly I carry a sort of a MacGyver Swiss army knife kit which includes a lot of duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, wide hose clamps, super glue that is rated for oil and gasoline (it's a gasoline tank repair glue), and thick tin foil (a couple copper sheets). They are just thrown in a box and to be honest I haven't looked inside that box in a while. For all I know the glue has ran everywhere and the duct tape has gone stale. :yupyup: After typing this I'll take a look at it soon :thumbs: The idea is that if I blow a fuel line or a water coolant line that I don't have a spare for, then I will wrap the crap out of it at least so I can limp out.

Hope this helps out. I might be missing a couple items and while I know it sounds like a lot, to be honest there is no set kit that I have. These are just things I've seen fail on rigs over the many years and I always make a note when I get back home.... "That guy's engine was overheating due to a bad radiator cap. Ok I'll get one added before my next trip." That is how I've sort of thrown it all together.

Of course don't forget your oil cleanup and spill kit, extra water, extra brake fluid, extra engine oil, extra power steering fluid, extra gear oil, etc...

Hope to see ya there! :wave:

Regards,
BigMike

Edit: After reading this post I realized I don't even carry a spare Birfield. The last three spares I had I've let friends borrow, and well, you know how that goes. I keep forgetting to grab another used birf. To this day I have never broke a Birfield in my truck during the 12 yrs I've wheeled it and I can't even remember when I last carried a spare. Not something to brag about: I do need to get a spare before the next event.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 02:02:34 PM by BigMike »

get r done

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 394
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Big Mike,
  I have a couple quick questions.. I see that there is a co pilot price of $90. Does this mean that we can only bring one person? Like if I wanted to bring the family with me. (wife plus 9 yr old son) what would be the cost of the extra person? Or is this a no kid kind of event? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Big Mike,
  I have a couple quick questions.. I see that there is a co pilot price of $90. Does this mean that we can only bring one person? Like if I wanted to bring the family with me. (wife plus 9 yr old son) what would be the cost of the extra person? Or is this a no kid kind of event? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

i have attended the last 2 years, and I can tell you its very "family" friendly. lots of kids running around. I don't know about the sat dinner. I'm sure he/she would get fed. I always have an extra meal ticket for Saturday dinner if you need it
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
a brake line bung (I took a 10mm brake line fitting and welded it shut -- if I loose a brake line I can at least plug that circuit and drive as normal with 3 brakes)

BigMike, im sure you know already but for those that dont, a big driveline bolt is the same size and thread pitch as the brake fittings. In a pinch, you can use one to cap off the T up line of wherever your broken brake line is. If it leaks a little due to the lack of flaring on the end of the bolt, shave a sliver of rubber off your tire or mudflap and insert it first, then tighten the bolt. While its not pretty, its gotten me home before.

As for the first-timer coming into Rubicon, by all means please come! you'll never know what its like if you dont. I would suggest you run with an experienced group though.
My first time into the Rubicon was for a MCR almost 10 years ago. I was in a 1990 pickup, IFS, with only sliders, a rear locker, and some new 33s. We were invited by some buddies that were veterans of the trail, and it was a good thing, because i had no idea where i was going, no idea what i was in for, and like you, had little idea of what to pack for parts. I lucked out and did just fine, and I've been back every year since.
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Mine will be in the mail tomorrow! Still need to ask at work. Hahahahaha :hammer:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

tacorican

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My form and payment is on the way!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Big Mike,
The idea behind the Co-Pilot package is to save money on an extra (1) meal ticket and (1) t-shirt. If you are bringing more than 1 person, then it makes sense to at least get the co-pilot package for an extra meal & shirt, and then add any additional meals and/or shirts as needed below on the forum.

Regards,
BigMike

nando707

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jul '16
  • International 4x4, 4runner
    • View Profile
Does anyone know of any caravans that are going that i can join so i dont go wheeling alone through the trails ???? :beerchug:  :-\  :driving:

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Most of us all caravan...probably going to be going in on Wednesday or Thursday from the Tahoe Side.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
ill be heading in early thurs morning. going in from loon lake.  :biggthumpup:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
List updated! :woohoo: :driving: :camping:

Jon W aka wingman, Brian M, and Misael T aka CrazyYota :party: These three will receive an additional Grand Prize ticket! :o

Registration is set to close in a little over two weeks on July 31st!

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2016, 05:20:09 PM by BigMike »

nando707

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
This is my 1st time going to the Rubicon trail, and i guess im going to head in from Tahoma??? thats what the detailed map says anybody else know of any other entrances that are closer to Sacramento side? :smack: :smack: :smack: :help: :help:

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
This is my 1st time going to the Rubicon trail, and i guess im going to head in from Tahoma??? thats what the detailed map says anybody else know of any other entrances that are closer to Sacramento side? :smack: :smack: :smack: :help: :help:

If your looking to run the whole trail, you should enter from loon lake, that's where the world famous sign is, if you are trailering your rig you have to decide. Coming from the Tahoma side is maybe 1.5 hours at best, to springs. From loon it 5-8 hours to the springs.

nando707

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
If your looking to run the whole trail, you should enter from loon lake, that's where the world famous sign is, if you are trailering your rig you have to decide. Coming from the Tahoma side is maybe 1.5 hours at best, to springs. From loon it 5-8 hours to the springs.

Id like to run 5-8 hours of trailing, but this is my first time on the Rubicon so i should probably play it safe. :clap: :bowdown:

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile

Id like to run 5-8 hours of trailing, but this is my first time on the Rubicon so i should probably play it safe. :clap: :bowdown:

is your rig set up?. do you have faith in ol bettsie? I say run the whole trail, just so you can say you did....

nando707

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
is your rig set up?. do you have faith in ol bettsie? I say run the whole trail, just so you can say you did....

I have the usual SAS with 35s, gears and leaf swap in the rear with a detroit lock, and 4 light bars for that extra HP  :thumbs: , so i want to say its on the lowest setup  :hammerhead: i have faith in my babe running and would like to run the entire trail but ive never been on this trail so idk what im getting into is my issue :driving: :help: :help: :help:

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
   I have the usual SAS with 35s, gears and leaf swap in the rear with a detroit lock, and 4 light bars for that extra HP  :thumbs: , so i want to say its on the lowest setup  :hammerhead: i have faith in my babe running and would like to run the entire trail but ive never been on this trail so idk what im getting into is my issue :driving: :help: :help: :help:

bring some spare parts, and run it. come up thurs am at loon, it will be an adventure, to say

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Jon W aka wingman, Brian M, and Misael T aka CrazyYota :party: These three will receive an additional Grand Prize ticket! :o

Regards,
BigMike

I can't wait! :driving:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just faxed mine in!

WINGMAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Pumped for the event my first time attending

Regards,
BigMike

90 sa-yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Crawlers Syndicate
    • View Profile
Faxed mine in this morning hahaha so stoked!! :driving: beep beep
90 Yota truggy 4banger dual t-cases, front linked fj80, rear t100 axle on 39 Bfg's
DD 00 Fird f250 x-cab 7.3 auto on 33's tow rig
DD 2006 yota taco prerunner
DD 82 yota 4wd on 33’s play toy
Future LONG TRAVEL toy 04 taco 4 dr. Prerunner

tacorican

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Faxed my form yesterday. Please let me know if y'all received it  :sick:

tacorican

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have one question. I have a cousin of mine who would like to come, however, he'll be bringing an off road trailer (Patriot Camper X1).
Is there a way for him to drive the trailer straight to the Campground prior to hitting the trail? In other words, is there an easy route to the campground? He plans on parking and setting up the trailer and head back to the trailhead.
I've never been there, so I'm unaware.
Please let me know
Thank you  :outtahere:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Not worried about them being fine. Just not trying to burn away 1/4 of their life which is what would happen.

You could run a set of rollers to drive down there on... lock them up while you're wheelin, then swap em back on when you're ready to come home
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
You could run a set of rollers to drive down there on... lock them up while you're wheelin, then swap em back on when you're ready to come home

LOL and where would I put my 37" 100 lb tires?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I dunno, build a small trailer?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!