Author Topic: Where is the best place to find a 3rz with all of the parts needed for a swap?  (Read 3184 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Calling all 3rz experts. If you had to do it again where would you start looking for a 3rz with everything needed for a 3rz swap? Where is the best place to look? At this time what is a good price for a complete swap? Would you go for another engine if so what?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Calling all 3rz experts. If you had to do it again where would you start looking for a 3rz with everything needed for a 3rz swap? Where is the best place to look? At this time what is a good price for a complete swap? Would you go for another engine if so what?

ive been searching craigslist for over a year. but I believe word of mouth is best. I just found one from a friend
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
ive been searching craigslist for over a year. but I believe word of mouth is best. I just found one from a friend

I have also been watching craigslist and I see JDM engines with nothing but wiring looms and nothing else. I forgot to add that I am in Bakersfield so LA is very close. The best option I have seen so far is a 3.4 that has everything for a swap. I don't want a 3.4 but I may have to go that way and swap trans as well.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I will chime in here, you need to find a wrecked donor vehicle, that way you have everything, and wont get nickeled and dimed on all the little bits and pieces
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 331
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I will chime in here, you need to find a wrecked donor vehicle, that way you have everything, and wont get nickeled and dimed on all the little bits and pieces

Absolutely. 

I found mine last week... but had to drive to LA to get it  :shake:   Made my contact off an ebay auction for a 3RZ with auto tranny that was about to close without a sale.  He had a 3RZ 4Runner that had been in a front end collision.  Sent him a note a few hours before the auction closed, so he would have a chance to deal with me and not just renew the auction and be stuck waiting until the close of that next auction.  The deal we settled on was $1000 for a 119k motor with wiring harness and all emissions (including both cats and o2 sensors).  Didn't take the auto ecm or auto tranny.  I got to inspect it first, including hearing it run and a compression test.  I had to pull it myself and have all my own tools... that is a blessing, not a curse.  Try to work a deal where you pull it yourself.  That way you know exactly what you got (and get EVERYTHING... EVERY little bracket/bolt/etc, even if you don't think you'll need it)  and know it wasn't damaged or cut as it was removed.

Obviously you're better off if you can find a 5spd version to make the deal on.  I've priced out my ECM, W59 bell housing, MC clutch, MC resurfaced pressure plate, fork and its going to set me back another $650

You'll really score if you can just buy the wrecked truck.  My guy admitted he had picked up the truck for $1500.  Wish I could have found that deal.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I have bought two complete swaps from ag auto wrecking in Croswell OR. They seem to have good prices and provide you with everything you need for one price. If you call make sure they know you are doing a swap.

My last swap they even threw in a good r150 for 100 bucks.

They are two miles away from toyotaonlyswaps also great guys who often use the same yard.
If you see it, its for sale.

58rag

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would also suggest getting an entire truck. I went through LKQ for a complete LQ4 ( 6.0 ls)  and although it was nice, i would have preferred a complete truck.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here on craigslist....just posted an hour ago.  If you're local or close by, jump on it before it's gone!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/5538025479.html

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Here on craigslist....just posted an hour ago.  If you're local or close by, jump on it before it's gone!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/5538025479.html

I'm guessing he is dyslexic, says 4.3, probably a 3.4
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile

I'm closer to LA (Bakersfield) but I can travel. I'll call and see what this guy says. The farther the distance the harder it is to arrange. My biggest concern is getting half way and it sells.

Thanks for all the help this is exactly what I was hoping to get with this thread. I knew there where more deals than what I was finding.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Guess he got some calls and updated his ad... When I first looked at the ad yesterday which was about 1 hour after he posted, it was listed as a 4cyl.  Seems like he doesn't know what he has under the hood...