Author Topic: 1986 Toyota pickup not starting after new timing chain cover  (Read 2372 times)

lucasc

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Just rippin round with a dip in my lip
    • View Profile
 have a 86 Toyota pickup with a 22r out of an 83 just replaced the timing chain cover cause it had a crack. And now it will not start. It cranks and has good spark just won't start. It makes a almost backfire like noise out the exhaust when I'm trying to start it. Am starting to get real pissed with this thing. When I turn the key over it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is pressurizing. And I'm totally new to Toyota's so any help would be nice.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did you remove and replace just the cover or did you remove the distributor for any reason?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Bypass the fuel
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Distributor wasn't put back in right would be my guess. :dunno:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Distributor wasn't put back in right would be my guess. :dunno:

This would be my guess also. In all the time I had a 22R, I put the distributor in 180* off quite a bit, I knew exactly what it was when it wouldn't start though
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

lucasc [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Ya I took the the distributor out. Had to to get to the bolt going through the head. But I brought the cam to tdc then put the distributor back in like your supposed to. I could be wrong on that. I'll take a look when I get home.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
gotta be timing, I would pull dist, re set  :yupyup:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Ya I took the the distributor out. Had to to get to the bolt going through the head. But I brought the cam to tdc then put the distributor back in like your supposed to. I could be wrong on that. I'll take a look when I get home.
That isn't the correct procedure to set the initial timing.
Set the timing at 5* BTD,
Looking at the rotor like a clock, place the rotor at 12,
Center the distributor adjustment opening over the bolt hole in the head,
When you slide the distributor into the head, the rotor should rotate counter clockwise and point at the vacuum port on the distributor.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

lucasc [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I messed with the distributor and now it's running like a top. Hopefully I don't get coolant in my oil again. The first time I tried changing the timing cover I ran it around the block And had coolant in my oil. Any reason why this might be? Never happened before I fixed the cracked timing cover.

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
one of the timing cover bolts not like the other and it needs to be in the correct hole, I had an 87 4runner that I ended up selling for a huge loss because of that exact problem. I tired everything replaced a bunch of parts and ended up giving up on it.

so I bump into the guy I sold it to a few months later and he said all it was was one bolt on the timing cover was not in the right place.