Author Topic: 2L diesel conversion to turbo?  (Read 11521 times)

turbo this..

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
2L diesel conversion to turbo?
« on: Mar 21, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
right the old tractor needs more power so herd the surfs run a 2L-TE or something that uses a CT20 turbo??

i dont know anything about turbo diesel but a fair bit on petrol so what i do know is you cant run a diesel lean and hurt the engine right? so then if you raise the air density going in the engine and add diesel enugh that it can burn clean ie no black smoke out the exhaust then all is well???

if so then can the over all fuel pressure just be turned up a touch? are the 2L engines strong enough to take say 15psi?

whos done this before im sure im not the first person to want more power from the old 2L

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: 2L diesel conversion to turbo?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »
No the 2l cant take 15psi, no it wont ever make alot more power, and yes its a pain to get all the stuff to turbo it.  I had one and did alot of homework on it.  Unless you live in Australia or a country where there are 2lt's everywhere, its expensive to get the manifold, turbo, injector pump, ect.  Sorry for the bad news. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

turbo this.. [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 01:32:19 AM »
No the 2l cant take 15psi, no it wont ever make alot more power, and yes its a pain to get all the stuff to turbo it.  I had one and did alot of homework on it.  Unless you live in Australia or a country where there are 2lt's everywhere, its expensive to get the manifold, turbo, injector pump, ect.  Sorry for the bad news.

i do live in aus so parts are not near as crazy

i was thinking of buying a new cheep Chinese turbo and sort the manifold myself ive turbo ed a few petrol cars just not a diesel so its new in that way

what is it that stops the 2L from takeing any decant boost? i thought diesels could take far more boost than petrols like all them trackter pullers with like 150psi vs a drag car with like 40 or 50 being absolute max

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
Engine design limits the boost pressure.  Compression ratio, cooling problems.  If you dropped compression and did head studs you might be able to push the boost a little bit. When that engine was designed people weren't building powerful diesels with high psi.  Since you live in aus then you can do it fairly reasonable.  Even 7-8 lbs of boost will take you from 60-70hp to around 100.  Its not going to be fast but it will get you up the hills then. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:51:14 AM »
From my understanding the old 2L's and 2LT's have a tendency to crack heads.  The one thing I learned from a few people on here about the 2LT's, is that they are not a powerhouse, but they are a gas mileage getter.  As Marlin told me, it will get you there, and wheel the trails, and get you back on 30 miles per gallon.

Here is a link to the making of the Willy Mammoth.  Around page # 60 or so, they start discussing about going with a 1KT-Z turbo diesel.   :thumbs:  So, line up some oil cans, cause that post is worth reading from beginning to end!!   :yesnod:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

turbo this.. [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
i see well its got 28s or 29s on it now and it sees hills and nearly turns around running haha so id be happy to just get it to do say 110kph comfortably and get up most hills with out dropping 10s of kms

i think at 7-8psi i could run without an IC?

just doing the cam and crank seals atm as its started leaking at the front under the cover

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »
If you are wanting more power, I would say get yourself a 3L-t. It should bolt right in place and will be a much better engine. No replacement for displacement.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

turbo this.. [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:14:59 AM »
wait a 3L-T will drop in???

in that the case im on the hunt 2.8 turbo 96mm bore 96mm stroke peak power at 4000rpm 91hp sounds good to me square motors at least in petrol likes rpms

what sort of boost can the 3l-T run? i like boost it's an addiction !!!  :bowdown:

will the 3L-T bolt onto the 2L G52 trans bell housing??

how about wiring the 3L-T is efi right?

hmmm....

stick a LS v8 in there and brake some diffs lol

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
The 2L and 3L are the same block so it will bolt right up. It should certainly bolt right up to your G series trans and your existing motor mounts. no wiring challenge since the 3L uses a mechanical pump. Now you've got me wondering if it was available with a turbo either way one could certainly be fitted. It did have a redesigned head though. For reference I beleive my 1KZ-te boosts to 12PSI using a CT-12b turbo. Pretty conservative, I know but I think it would be safe to go to 15PSI if you monitor your EGT's. Another option would be the 3.0 liter 5L as it would also bolt in. Don't know how hard those are to find in your neighborhood though.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

turbo this.. [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2015, 02:46:21 AM »
i see well maby the 5L and make my own turbo manifold and IC it to bring the EGT down a bit im sure if its cooler going in its cooler comeing out there for more boost haha maby

anyways i think there no replacement for displacment so the 3liter with a turbo should :pokinit: all over the NA 2L id hope

as for availability ive have a quick look n a full reco engine is like 3 grand as a long block so injection pump is more on that as well as starter and alt ect

at this point im thinking why spend such on an 85 hilux when a mate whos played with landcrusers for about 25 years says he can get me an 80 landcruser and show me how to do the turbo diesel swap for an inline 6 cylender for about 6-8 grand all in so seems a no brainer to go for the 80 and sell the lux

tweake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
to clear up some bit in this thread.

there is two different 2l diesels. early version tend to call it 2l-1 and the later one 2l-2.
there is turbo versions of both. 2lt-1 and 2lt-2/2lte.
no such thing as 3lt or 5lt. they never came with turbo's ex factory. fitting 2lt-2/2lte is the common conversion tho there is aftermarket kits.
the 2lt-2, 2lte, 3l, 5l are basically the same block and are almost identical, so you can swap the engines easily.

2lt-1 and 2lt-2 the turbo gear is not interchangeable. the are quite different motors.
there is a few odd versions around like the hiace version which has different turbo manifold to mount it lower and the highpower version in the crown car (i think its called).

afaik the motors are all interchangeable. a bit of mucking around with clutch parts. so you can fit a 3l into a 2l-1 hilux.

only efi version is the 2lte and 5le.
some of the 2lt-2's had emission ecu's, but fueling and timing is done mech.

all the engines will handle 15psi boost. boost in itself is not an issue on diesels. problems tend to be the turbo's go inefficient at higher boost levels and that high boost is not needed, as you can't run enough fuel to make it worth while.
no need to drop compression, that will just make it run like crap.
intercooling is highly recommended, especially as ct20 is a bit of an old dog of a turbo.

fueling and timing is where all the fun and danger is. they are not strong engines but they can handle a good increase as long as turbo boost is high enough and cooling is good.

hope that helps  :)