Author Topic: Self Tapping Screw vs. Bundle of Wires.  (Read 3464 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Self Tapping Screw vs. Bundle of Wires.
« on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:21:15 AM »
I installed a sound system last night and everything was going great...  I was finishing up when i tried to fasten down my plastic door trim piece with a self tapping screw. I remembered the bundle of computer wires underneath a little too late. I hit the bundle of wires under the drivers side kick panel with a self tapping screw... Because I'm a moron. I repaired the pictured wires but I think I fried a computer or something because now it barely starts and when it does the throttle doesn't work until half way down, and when it revs up it hits 2000 rpm and sounds like it hits the rev limiter. Not to mention I have more than 9 OBD2 error codes. All the error codes (that I can read) are for air flow sensors, throttle sensors, and stuff like that... It blew the breaker that controls my power locks as well.  It's my own personal hell.

I've checked every fuse i could get my hands on, I pulled the EFI fuse for an hour, and I pulled the little computer box out of the kick panel and visually inspected the circuit board inside and couldn't see any damage. I can't think of anything else to do except pull the ecu and take it to a dealer for testing... unless someone knows something else i can try.

Here's the wires I hit:

It's a 2004 tacoma double cab by the way...
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Self Tapping Screw vs. Bundle of Wires.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
i think the first thing  you should do is invest in a soldering iron and some waterproof shrink tube. those wire crimp things are not a positive conection and will only get worse over time as moisture finds its way into the wires. wire connecters like that have no place in automotive applications as far as im concerned. :twocents:
if your real lucky maybe that will fix the issue but my guess is you may have damaged the computer.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
My other thought would are you 100% you didnt hit any other wires?

I did the same thing in my cummins tryig to mount my fire extinguisher bracket. I was lucky and basically just cut the wire insulation and grounded the wire or something.  Taped the insulation up, and replaced my fuse and was good to go.  :dunno:

What is the part number on your ecu? I have an extra one from a 99 3.4l automatic you could borrow to see if it is fried? (I dont know anything about tacomas, i dont even know if you have a 3.4.  )

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
Sounds like it's stuck in limp mode.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
+1 on solder/shrink tube

Or for overkill you could get waterproof/gel filled connectors.  "Jelly Beans, Dolphin connectors, industrial/aircraft grade connectors, etc" and then wrap the connection with some Mastic tape. 

But solder, iron and shrink tube is less expensive and good to learn and know how to do. :thumbs:

If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
Test your ECU in another vehicle.     If it works, your wiring is still messed up.

DON'T test another ECU IN your vehicle.    If other wires are messed up, you could fry the other ECU. (if in fact you've fried your ECU)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
I sent in my ECU to a company on the east coast to have it inspected for $100 can't rember the name right now. In your case I would recommend borrowing someone else's ECU to see if it fixes the problem. Other than that definately solder and heat shrink your wires.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
i think the first thing  you should do is invest in a soldering iron and some waterproof shrink tube. those wire crimp things are not a positive conection and will only get worse over time as moisture finds its way into the wires. wire connecters like that have no place in automotive applications as far as im concerned. :twocents:
if your real lucky maybe that will fix the issue but my guess is you may have damaged the computer.

yeah. I actually had my soldering iron on hand, but no plug for a hundred yards so the crimps were supposed to be a temporary measure...

My other thought would are you 100% you didnt hit any other wires?

I did the same thing in my cummins tryig to mount my fire extinguisher bracket. I was lucky and basically just cut the wire insulation and grounded the wire or something.  Taped the insulation up, and replaced my fuse and was good to go.  :dunno:

What is the part number on your ecu? I have an extra one from a 99 3.4l automatic you could borrow to see if it is fried? (I dont know anything about tacomas, i dont even know if you have a 3.4.  )

i couldn't see any other wires that were damaged. It's a 2004 double cab with the 3.4 automatic. I'm in central Utah.... I don't know the part number of the computer

My plan of attack will probably be unplug it for a while, and solder and heat shrink while it's unplugged. If that doesn't help then it might be time to haul it to a shop...
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
Here are all the codes it's throwing:

P2138 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'D'/'E' Voltage Correlation
P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A'/'B' Voltage Correlation
P0712 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor 'A' Low Input
P0560  System Voltage Malfunction
P0222 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'B' Circuit - Low Input
P0122 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Low Input
P0102 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Low Input
P0112 Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

The common denominator of all these problems is the ECU... I think it's toast...
My Old Toy

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
I'm surprised it didn't throw a code for a screw in the wiring
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:29:58 AM »
Yeah... that would have been nice...

I'm now in the market for this computer:

I've found one on ebay for $150, and there's a guy parting out a tacoma in denver colorado that i might be able to get my hands on... one thing is for sure, I'm not buying new!!!
My Old Toy

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Wiring can be a pain in the ass to deal with. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
yup. dealer just confirmed it... $315 dollars of labor later... new computer is on the way.
My Old Toy

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
$315 to diagnose?  Or did they troubleshoot and fix the wires also?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2014, 02:26:22 AM »
$370 in the end. They were taking forever so I ended up putting it in myself, and then they took another hour to "flash" the  computer... not very impressive. I work nights right now too, so when i got the package at 11am i went straight to the dealership... i wasn't back in bed until 4:00pm. not very impressed. And when i put the computer in the truck started right up. they said it's better to flash it with your vin, but not completely necessary. Basically I paid them $370 to tell me when i already knew, and then program my computer for some reason.
My Old Toy

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
I guess the good news is that if something goes wrong with it relatively soon, you won't have to figure it out and they will.  Peace of mind is worth the coin...sometimes  :D :D