Author Topic: Assistance with W56 issues  (Read 3166 times)

AZ4ME

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Assistance with W56 issues
« on: Oct 14, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
I'm not much of a transmission guy, so I'm looking for some assistance on some issues I'm having with a W56 in my 86 4runner.  I figure what better place than the Marlin board for Toyota tranny issues.  7The 22RE and W56 are out of an 88 4runner, if that matters.

For a little while now I've been having some issues with the transmission not wanting to go into gears.  Mostly 1st and reverse.  When the truck first starts up cold, it works fine, but it soon starts having problems quickly as it warms up.  Even stopped, I have a hard time getting the tranny into first gear.  Sometimes it goes easier than others, but usually I have to run through some of the other gears or apply a little force to get the tranny into first.  Other gears sometimes give me issues also.  Mostly second.  Sometimes it has a hard time shifting into second when slowing down.  Say when you are slowing down to turn a corner.  Reverse is the worst as it's rare I can get it into gear without some grinding now.  I run it through some of the other gears and pump the clutch a few times and then sometimes it will go into reverse without too much grinding.  I can shift through all the gears smoothly with the truck off.

The clutch itself feels fine to me.  It still starts to grab around a quarter of the way off the floor.  I haven't noticed any difference in feel with it from before the issues started happening.  I checked the clutch master and slave and I don't see any signs of leaking.  I went ahead and bled the clutch but there was no difference.  I changed the tranny fluid and didn't see any metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary in it.  No difference after the fluid change.  Some people have talked about the clutch pedal mounting plate cracking and causing issues similar to this, but I don't see any issue with mine.  I think that issue was more prevalent on a little newer (90's) 4runners and pickups.

I've done a lot of research on this issue and have found a lot of info on people with a similar issues, but have not really been able to find a solution.  I don't know if its a tranny issue or a clutch issue or somewhere else.  So, any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

I don't drive the truck much so it hasn't been a big priority for me, but now I just want to get it fixed.     
-Brian

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Assistance with W56 issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
It sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Or the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft is binding up with the transmission input shaft.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »
x2 :thumbs:
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
I'd adjust the clutch to where the pedal disengages farther up.   And see where that gets you.   I've always been told that you want it to disengage at the upper third. 

I've always had some issues with getting my trans in 1st and Reverse.  All I have to do is put it in neutral and engage the clutch, and then disengage the clutch and put it in gear.  As for second, sometimes I have to RPM match the speed to get it to down shift into second.  But I do have the R151F, and it has a lower second gear than the W series. 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

constant vomit

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
this sounds like the exact issue i am having. i installed the 1200lb hd clutch kit about 10,000 miles ago. it started to do this a few weeks ago and its getting pretty bad. nearly identical symptoms to ones described in 1st post. although i would add that on mine it sometimes goes halfway into gear, doesnt make that final 1/2 inch of travel to lock into gear, and will pop out if i try to accelerate. in some cases i cant get into any gear. i have to fiddle around and release/rengage clutch several times before i find enough of a groove to force the shifter into gear. i feel horrible everytime i do this.

i had the clutch fluid drained and refilled as it was a bit low, thinking that was the cause but it's made no difference.