Author Topic: 81 22r wont idle ever. need help badly.  (Read 1524 times)

phetty

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
81 22r wont idle ever. need help badly.
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
Okay guys, I'm at a loss. My rig wont idle at all and I'm tired of messing around forevor. I start it and it fires but immediately
 dies. And I start it and I have to feather the gas to keep it running. Cold or hot, doesn't matter. At low rpms it misses and sputtered badly. The thing that gets me the most is that sometimes I start it and it idles like a frigging champ.  :) then ill be driving down the road and it cuts out. Then it wont idle again. :maddest: I've removedthe egr and taken all the emissions control out. Plugged all the vqccum lines and I have no leak. I'm gonna test the fuel cut solenoid today but idk. I'm in need :help:

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: 81 22r wont idle ever. need help badly.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
while your testing the fuel cut solenoid you might also pull it out and replace the o ring on the end of it. I dont know if its yer problem but iv seen that o ring give alot of people problems. they can look fine but have flat spots and cause internal leaks. the o ring is like $3 at toyota.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

81 yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
I had the same issue. Switched to Weber and never turned back. While I was trouble shooting it the fuel cut was bad and the fuel level in the float was also bad. Also check the vacuum lines.

phetty [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »
Well I checked the fuel cut solenoid and it turns out its fine. But I'm not getting power from my wiring harness.  But it runs fine SOMETIMES which means I have a wire making contact but broken somewhere within my wiring harness. I don't have any vaccium lines because I took out the smog junk. But my next question would be where the power wire comes from. Ignition,  fusebox, etc. I checked the ground prong in the plug and it's fine but not the power wire. What now?

bruzer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »
 Did you leave any of the vacuum lines on your distributor?

phetty [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Yeah I left the vacuum advance lines in. Pumpkinyota had a nice thread about smog removal that's worth checking out. All the rest of the vacuum ports are plugged and the egr is gone. I am pretty sure through an educated guess that one wire (black) goes to the emission control computer right by my foot in the cab. The other wire (black/yellow stripe) goes to the fusebox.  Which raises questions because when I was testing the solenoid, my idle got really high due to the choke activating. I'm wondering if they run through thes same fuse or a resistor and the excess of power caused my choke to go whacky on me? Is it ok to run power to the solenoid straight from my battery?