Author Topic: Hello Marlin Community!  (Read 634 times)

nk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 72
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello Marlin Community!
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Hey everybody, I have been cruising the marlin store/forums for a couple years as I slowly built my truck and am finally sitting down to write this little intro. My project is a black SAS '94 x-cab with a tired old 3.slow V6 and some balding 33x12.50x15's, approaching 300,000 miles. Still has a ways to go before shes much of a wheeler. My family says she needs a name so I call her Pahoehoe, its hawaiian for the smooth ropey rippley variety of Lava rock found there (I am from Hawaii, living in Bellingham Washington, moving to Eugene Oregon in June, looking for folks to get the truck dirty with). She was SAS'd a year ago, man does she drive sweet with all the new axle bearings and 5.29 gears etc. and no tired old IFS parts and lift blocks mucking things up. Just got a double-single-joint shaft on the front so I can have 4wheel while I work on 3rd member angle and a dual case setup, its great up to about 25mph. Recently swapped out for another stock transmission and transfer with all new seals, just to make her nice and dry, transfer was leaking like a sieve, now I gotta get the spare engine I have rebuilt and she will be a lot happier/cleaner (I know, 3.4 swap would be better but I already have a spare 3.0). I have been a broke student so things move slow. Other than the SAS she's pretty much stock, 5.29 gears but no lockers yet...she is still a driver for me and will probably always be a combo rig rather than a dedicated wheeler. For future mods I am hoping that a dual case setup will allow me to go to a single shaft in the back and improve the front driveline situation. She will eventually have front and rear lockers (suggestions welcome, although I have read a lot of the forum and marlin tech notes on locker setups) with 35's to make the gearing right probably (although I am considering trying to go to 37's). Oh and some new bumpers and rocksliders etc., want to protect her since I am not ready to just totally trash the body yet (YET). Ummmm, I think that's it, so yeah hit me up if you are in the B'ham area (or Eugene area starting June) and want to go play, I took her out to the N. Fork quarry to try out the new driveline a little, she did good for what she is, I thought, anyway I am looking for some trails that will challenge the truck but don't absolutely require lockers and body damage. Next project will be an old single cab 4cyl that I can really thrash on but this ones kind of my baby, shes still pretty nice inside and out except for a few shitty spots on the bed ;) 
oops...

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Hello Marlin Community!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle:  Sounds like a nice rig!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Marlin Community!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »
 :welcome:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK