Author Topic: 4WD light stays on  (Read 1777 times)

mldave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
4WD light stays on
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »
On my 86 truck..it snowed yesterday,then melted and was mostly ice this morning heading to the coffee shop.Just a short three block drive home on a combination of light ice and drive pavement.Locked hubs and put in 4Hi for the ride home after coffee for better traction,After parking and shifting back to 2Hi the 4WD light stays on.What gives??
Old hardrock gold miner

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: 4WD light stays on
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »
Switch on t-case may be stuck or fused in closed mode!!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
The 4WD lamp is grounded by a trigger switch/plug located on the passenger's side of the reduction housing of your transfer case. For your 1986 truck, this is a single wire switch that simply sends a ground signal to the lamp which is powered (whenever the key is in the ON position).

If its related to the weather, than its possible the rubber coating seal of the switch is damaged, and water was able to get inside the switch and short it out (constant ground), or water got inside and slowly rusted its internals and it just needed 1 more cold night before it gave up the ghost.

Otherwise, because it's a simple ground, it's possible it's wire has been shorted somewhere between the switch and the lamp (another way to have a constant ground). Maybe a rock hit it, or it was slowly rubbing against something.

The easiest way to check if it is a faulty switch or a short in the wire somewhere is to simply unplug the switch at the transfer case and check if the lamp turns off (in 2WD & the key in the ON position). If so, then you have a bad switch. If not then you have a short somewhere in the wire leading to the lamp.

The 4WD Lamp Indicator switch / plug in question is this one:

Good luck :beerchug:
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mldave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies.Does it hurts anything to drive in 2wd with the light on,hubs unlocked?
Old hardrock gold miner

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
In general, No. However, there may be possible concerns depending on the issue. Without giving this a great deal of thought...

1) Switch is so badly damaged internally that it starts leaking gear oil.
2) Switch is so badly damaged internally that it allows water and other debris to enter into your t/case.
3) Switch is so badly damaged internally that you are no longer able to engage 4WD unless you remove the damaged switch.
4) The short is caused by the wire entangling itself with your front driveline, which could cause further damage to your wiring harness.
5) The short is caused by the wire somehow wrapped around to the exhaust side and may melt on your exhaust.

The 4WD lamp is merely an indicator lamp and nothing more.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mldave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
Thanks people.....
Old hardrock gold miner

mldave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
BigMike,got the light out.Unlocked the hubs and drove around the block,seemed like it was in 4low.Parked and moved the selector from 2Hi to 4Hi a few times and the light went out.Now if you could only help out with my big problem on this truck,the clutch.A shop put in a Sachs clutch kit and it shifted good for a few weeks and then gradually got harder and harder to shift at times.He bled it again and that lasted another few weeks,bled it again another few weeks and so on.Last trip to the shop he just got a couple of wrenches and adjusted the CMC rod I believe and again it shifted good for a few weeks before the same hard shifting into first and second and reverse.He said the clutch bracket was good.It dosen't leak fluid.Funny thing is when I start out first thing in the morning it's hard to get into first,but coming to the first two nearby stop signs it shifts like butter into gear.After that it's anyones guess as to how it will shift.IF I shift into reverse as soon as it turns over mostly it'll go in with a slight grind.Seems the harder it is to get into gear the tougher/or if at all it is to get into first.I know I should have gotten Aisin parts but had to have the clutch kit put in on borrowed money so I had no choice.MT-90 and the shifter bushing and seat were put in by a friend a year ago.Do you think the CMC could be bad,though not leaking or that little rubber hose is bad?The shop fellow talked about fabricating a longer CMC rod,but when he'll ever get it on his lift is anyone's guess.Could he have damaged a clutch part on installation?..and why does it shift fine once in awhile and mostly dosen't......thanks for reading this long winded post as I'm totally sick over this 4 month ordeal and would trade this nice looking truck for a Honda car if I could.
Old hardrock gold miner

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Get a flashlight, lay on your back on the DS floor, shine the light on the bracket that holds the clutch pedal, look for cracks in the bracket. Also check the firewall around the where the CMC bolts to for cracks in the firewall.

If there are cracks, the movement does not allow the pedal to depress the MC all the way which in turn does not allow the MC to send enough fluid to the slave cylinder to compelty disengage the clutch causing drag and hard shifting.

It can be fixed, but it is not an easy fix.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013, 04:54:02 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

mldave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
OOPS,the bracket was checked by 2 shop mechanics and also one shade tree mechanic...
Old hardrock gold miner

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
OOPS,the bracket was checked by 2 shop mechanics and also one shade tree mechanic...
How about the firewall, they also crack there.

mldave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
That's okay also.....
Old hardrock gold miner

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
I'm going to guess you have a bad clutch master cylinder. Often times when they leak it doesn't show up because the fluid is leaking past the seal and it just goes into the fluid reservoir. I had the same problem with a Mitsubishi eclipse. One way to find out is to pump the clutch lightly just at the very top of it's travel. If it improves your shifting, you have a bad clutch master cylinder. Which is an easy fix. Hope this helps.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Yup I was thinking the same thing, you may have a bad master or slave. Sounds like your not getting a complete clutch disconnect since it grinds or is hard to shift at a stand still. The sincro's will put the gears in line while moving and would be why it's not happening there. Also if you changed your gear oil make sure you have a GL4 rating, GL5 is not what you want in there it is a great oil but in an early trans will cause the gears to not align properly. Something about being too slippery and allowing you to shift quicker past the sincro.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you