Author Topic: Front Axle Gobbling like a Turkey!?!  (Read 2253 times)

85Flatty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 1989 4Runner
    • View Profile
Front Axle Gobbling like a Turkey!?!
« on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
I recently destroyed my stock Toyota birfields and had to rebuild my front axle.  I replaced the stock axles with Longfield 30's and hub gears.  I followed Bobby's instructions and clearanced the housing and everything seemed to be turning normally while testing...  However, yesterday when I hit the trails and put my rig in 4 low with the hubs locked - the drivers side wheel began to squeak.  And by squeak, it honestly sounded like a turkey gobbling or the sound you would hear if someone where cleaning glass with Windex and a paper towel and pushing really hard.  When I unlocked my hubs the sound went away.  Putting the tcase in 4 or 2wheel drive did not make a difference as long as the hubs were unlocked there was no sound.  When I locked the hubs again the sound came back.  Now this is where I may have messed up IDK... I continued on the trails in 4low with the hubs locked and over the next hour or two the sound went away.  But after unlocking the the hubs and re-locking them to do a particularly difficult trail the sound came back in Both hubs!
Can anyone please help and tell me what is going on and I pray that I haven't just destroyed my new axles!!!  I kinda scared to take it apart, for fear of what I might find
Thanks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Front Axle Gobbling like a Turkey!?!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
Take everything apart...study it...research...replace...rebuild...wheel
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
I'd tear into your hubs.  If the sound is only present when the hubs are locked, then you might have an issue just behind the hub dial.  Should be able to diagnose the issue within an hour. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

85Flatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 1989 4Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »
thanks for the advice!  that makes since.
How much grease is appropriate for the hubs themselves?  During rebuild I cleaned everything in my parts washer, removing all grease and dirt and there is a chance that I did not re-lubricate the hubs enough...

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
The hubs themselves don't take that much grease and if they're over packed they don't work. Did you install all te c-clips?

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 223
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
The only thing that needs a generous coating is the brass ring that the hub gear rides on. Everything else gets a slight coat to prevent corrosion
"W6FTW"

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
Also, I just reread the post. The hubs are likely not your issue.

I had this same problem when I had to drive home in fwd (for 2 hours on the freeway) because my rear end blew. The brass bushing seized to the long field, and was making squealing noises, especially when turning.

You probably did not grease the brass bushing enough. If it was a new bushing you need to hone it out for clearance.

If it is siezed, you'll need to chisel it off carefully with heat. My longs or the spindle were not destroyed at all.

If it is not siezed, ensure the grease pockets are on the bottom half of the spindle. New bushings only have two grease pockets. Older ones had 4. Make sure the grease pockets are on the bottom, either style you have.

Ensure the tolerance between the birf and the bushing. Iirc, there needs to be at least .002"-.006" tooerance. Take a dial caliper and measure the od of the bushing surface, to the Id of the bushing. If its too large, replace with new. If too small, double check the measurement, and hone out.

To hone out, buy a brake caliper hone, and stick it in a drill. Clean off all the old grease. Hone it out with the drill till the bushing is within tolerance.

To install a new bushing, stick it in the freezer overnight and tap it in with a hammer or press it. Be careful, if it starts sideways it will deform the id

Once everything is good, liberally grease the bushing, the grease pockets (the face of it and the id). Liberally grease the surface of the bushing area on the long field (face and od). Install

Every 6 months or so, I'll shoot grease through the grease port at the mating surface.

For this, I prefer hi temp bearing grease...

-phill
"W6FTW"

85Flatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 1989 4Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks for the help Phil!  I just called Longfield and they mentioned the brass bushing, I then l checked the forum and saw your post.  I plan to open them up tonight or tomorrow I'll let you know what I find.  Thanks again for the detailed reply.

Nathan

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »
NP,

PN for the bushings are 90999-70067 and can be ordered online thru Toyota of Dallas cheap

I looked in the manual, the spec is .002-.007"
"W6FTW"

Teran H.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Oct '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
gobble gobble

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »
Well it is almost turkey day
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
It's not uncommon to have a tight fit for Longfields. The Toyota of Dallas might be a better option, but we do carry these in stock and are listed on our website below. Hopefully its just dry and a touch of grease is all it needs.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-service-parts/service-front-hilux/spindle-brass-axle-bushing

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

85Flatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 1989 4Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Big Mike and Phil you were right! It was totally a lubrication issue. I opened everything up addded a generous amount of grease to both knuckles, the bushings, and axels.  I then test drove it and the turkey was gone!
I did check clearance on the bushings, they were ok, however the grooves were on the side and not the bottom.  I plan to keep an eye on the issue and should it flare up again I'll rotate the bushing or replace them.
Thanks again for the help.

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:46:47 AM »
No problem. Sometimes they may squeal at you in the winter, if it's really cold. As long as you shoot some grease in the knuckle every 6 months, you shouldn't have an issue
"W6FTW"