Author Topic: Bad Engine/Tranny Mounts or..?  (Read 1149 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Bad Engine/Tranny Mounts or..?
« on: Jun 11, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
I've had the transmission in my truck in & out a few times over the last couple years. This last time, about a year ago, everything went as smoothly as it usually does. But the fist real trip I took it on with some rough dirt roads, I was going fast at some points, and suddenly there was a lot of vibration in the driveline. Just pushing on the gas didn't feel right...then I noticed that my stick shift was a lot farther over towards the passenger side than it should be.

Of course I should have stopped right there and checked it out, but I was on a hill and like most Toyotas with the hand-pull e-brake, mine doesn't work so well, so I kept driving a little further. I hit another good bump, and the gear shift came back to where it should be, and the vibration went away.

This has happened once or twice since then. My engine mounts look fine, tranny mounts look fine, and I've tried getting under there and pushing on the transmission to see if I could make it move over, but so far nothing. I can't see this being something which is going on inside the transmission...I don't see how that could move the gear shifter over. It's far enough over that when I'm in first, it looks like I'm in 3rd, if not 5th.

Anyone have any ideas of what this could be? I tried, just today, getting under there with a pry bar to see if I could get it to kind of "roll" to the passenger side, but no luck. It's kind of hard to find something good to pry against, though...
Zach
I like Yotatech

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Engine/Tranny Mounts or..?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
It sounds like you might need to replace a motor mount.  They are cheap, and easy to replace, and your t-case mount.  Over time the rubber breaks down.  I think I got my motor mounts and t-case mounts from Carquest for around $50. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
ya same thing happened to me i also kept hearing a bang in 4 low on steep hills was the motor lifting up. they some times wont appear trashed untill you take it out.
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
My old Nissan, the motor would lift every time I got on it when I had a bad mount.  I had to feather the throttle or the gear shifter would go rocking to the passenger side big time.  I had to drive it that way for a few days, till the part came in.  Which sucked. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
Ok, thanks! That's what I was figuring, but since I had some issues with my transmission over the last few years, I was worried it might be that again. I'll get some new mounts. Thanks!
Zach
I like Yotatech

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »

in the upper right hand corner you can see i welded a peace of chain to the upper motor mount and the other end to the chassis. leave a little slack in it. I wheeled my Yoda hard for 5 plus years and never lost  a stock motor mount.