Author Topic: TG Rock Assault™ Trunnion Bearing Eliminator Kit  (Read 28289 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i saw them put that kit on Zuk on Extreme 4x4, has to be better than decent.

they used the dirty 30s, chromoly rear shafts, rock assault housings made for zukis, high pinion diff and trunnion bearinf elims all from TG on that zuk in that episode. I have the whole powerblock on DVR each weekend lol.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
True, ive never seen a koyo bearing failure, Though I have broken trail jizz bearings. I had 25 year old koyos in my old rig on 40's, never beat on it too bad, but it made it though some of the harder trails in AZ without issue. BUT, I used a trail jizz rebuild kit in my 85's front axle, after 1000 miles and 6-7 medium trails on 35's the drivers upper bearing was broken and the TG tie rod ends were worn really bad for such little use... I now have marlins 25mm kit, arms, and rod ends on both rigs.

Anyone that I have seen in person break a trunion bearing was due to trail jizz bearings or steering arms, only seen one guy break an allpro 17mm pin, but he was running jap bearings and he BEATS hit rig... 250hp turbo motor and 37in sticky crawlers...

I am that Koyo bearing failure. Random as can be too. I went up to recover a budy who was stuck in snow on a fairly easy trail. one truck maybe 25ft in and then my buddy was 50 or so feet in. I put the thing in 4wd and rolled 5 feet and hear this weird sound. A friend of mine walking next to the truck said it was coming from the driver front axle. I told him to unlock the hubs and went in with 2wd(to give you an idea of how easy of a trail...no locker even needded and didnt air down) I pull both trucks out and coming back down the dirt road leading up to the trail is when i notice it. Driver top bearing distroyed. The noise we heard was the bearing pins rubbing the birf cause they fell in.

I got lucky and it only scratched the birf but driving the truck at a crawling pace down to where it could sit and go get a trailer it had smashed all the backing plate for the knuckle, tore up everything in side, took my tire from maybe a summer left to smooth and the passenger front almost the same....IDK if the bearing was the cause but it distroyed a tierod and broke part of the hub gear(not sure how that happened either) the truck had about 6,500-7k miles on the rebuild with all new parts. I daily drive it and am still learning the truck so i have been going really easy on it. most of the trails i had run were pretty close to stock friendly. Im on 37'' old mtr's btw

I picked up my kit yesterday. The parts look pretty good, Rebuild kit was a huge bonus, shipping times were great. I weighed my options putting this thing back together and took that plunge for a little piece of mind. Got my locked 3rd set up saturday, 30splines yesterday, new wheel bearings, the T.B.E kit and arp studs through out.....Now i need the hub gears and im set. Fingers crossed its a step in the right direction.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

THK Matt [OP]

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Good luck, let us know how it works out. I will getting a toyota front for my daily 4runner this next tax season.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Crazy. I hate trunion bearings. Ive broken koyo and nachi. People are seriously saying koyos dont break? Ive pulled apart countless STOCK axles, wih 31s or 33s, to see the top bearing on the driver side fall to pieces, MANY times. I will say that koyos "look" like they are the better brand, but nachi hd ones seem to work better for me. I was gonna do the trun elim kit, but I got marlin arms on my runner and didnt wnna combine marlin part with tg. I broke a MARLIN steering pin, no even wheeling hard, smash, took out my upper and lower trun, toasted em. Ive broken prob 10- trunion bearings so far, I dont wheel my runner anymore, but my ex cab is getting this tbe kit very soon. I have not read about a SINGLE failure with the tbe kit.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

tanabuse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Dec '09
  • sleeper, any time any trail any where
    • View Profile
you mean between the kingpin and the seat?

yeah they wont its a joke  im running them and havent had any problems but i did have them  machined out right where the grease cums out when i was down talking to bobby long from gram WA he told me that the holes where the grease comes out will gauld closed and need to be drilled just a bit to open the ports up so when u grease them the grease flows and so far six months no problems
so
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

Zane

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
any updates on this? still working for you guys? Im about to buy this and was wondering if its worth it

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Crazy. I hate trunion bearings. Ive broken koyo and nachi. People are seriously saying koyos dont break? Ive pulled apart countless STOCK axles, wih 31s or 33s, to see the top bearing on the driver side fall to pieces, MANY times. I will say that koyos "look" like they are the better brand, but nachi hd ones seem to work better for me. I was gonna do the trun elim kit, but I got marlin arms on my runner and didnt wnna combine marlin part with tg. I broke a MARLIN steering pin, no even wheeling hard, smash, took out my upper and lower trun, toasted em. Ive broken prob 10- trunion bearings so far, I dont wheel my runner anymore, but my ex cab is getting this tbe kit very soon. I have not read about a SINGLE failure with the tbe kit.

Gay, seriously, I run the :pokinit: out of them never a problem.  I have built many an axle.  Never seen a blown cage or bearing.  Set up WRONG in my opinion.

84yotated

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
What kind of tools are required to press these guys on? I just ordered a kit along with a set of six shooter knuckles. Am I going to need to take them into a shop to get them pressed on or is that something I could do myself? Thanks guys.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
You need a press...

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Yeh still no failures from my trunion elim kit

Pulled a fj80 axle apart, just last week, 2 blown trunions. Its extremely hard to set a toyota axle up wrong. Unless you just toss some shims opn and dont use a 5 dollar pull scale. Im not the only person who has had multiple issues with trunion bearings. Ive seen sooooooooooo many broken trunions where the cage busted or opened and they are falling apart as soon as you pull em out. I say trunion eliminator all the way.

tanabuse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
so since last june no problems with this kit havent even bothed to tighten the steering arms and i was runing 33's tsl's and wagy springs with a open front end now im locked up bobby longs all pros 6 inchs springs and 37's irocks and ive ben beaten the :pokinit: out of my truck every one around me has broke trunnions but not me
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Good to know they are holding up. This is next on my to do list.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
To those that speak of galling, my dumb stoner ass didnt even grease mine until the 4th trip out on the truck, and prob 500 miles on the road. Pulled em out to see if I was gonna have to warranty em, and they were perfectly fine.

THK Matt [OP]

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
:popcorn: looks like ill be goin this route when i put my axle together.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Good to hear all the positive feedback. Wish I had the extra coin for these right now. My axle is completely apart, would be so easy to just throw 'em in lol.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
One thing to remember with this kit is the pins that press into the steering arms are .75, Marlins arms and most others are 1.0, and TG’s arms are .75.

Dave from Dave'z has been running the TG kit for quite some time on his DD. He lives up by Georgetown and his shop is in Diamond Springs which is about a 30 mile trek each way on a twisty road with out any problems. It is basically the same setup as some D-44 and D-60 axles.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
I just picked up a new set of 6 shooters that I'm planning on putting them on. I just need to take time and shim them right. I've heard they take some time to set up
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

tanabuse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
go and have them keyed at a machine shop and be sure to change out ur studs to 16mm cap capscrews this is because the cone washers need to seat down on the shank of the stud not the threds ive spent the money twice now because when i bought the ARP knuckle studs and went to put them in. and  my cone washers seated down on the threds of the stud. now when ur just relieing on just the stud  to prevent rotation with ur 35,s,37,s or 40ds that just not right. so i did some research and check out these two links and tell me its not a good idea. it just pisses me off i have a $80 set of ARPs and i cant do nothing with them

this link is to show u that the cone washer seats 8mm above the knuckle surface
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9366828#post9366828

and this link shows you where to mill a keyway into your knuckle and steering arms
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852179&page=10
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW