Author Topic: What do you prefer if you run Dual cases, Manual or Auto  (Read 4029 times)

4Runnnner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
What do you prefer if you run Dual cases, Manual or Auto
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
I searched for any threads on it but no luck so what do you guys prefer, this would be in a 90 Pickup

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
I think you'll find that most of the people here (including myself) prefer manual transmissions in their offroad rig, regardless of whether they're running duals or not.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I think you'll find that most of the people here (including myself) prefer manual transmissions in their offroad rig, regardless of whether they're running duals or not.

auto's are kinda nice for creeping, but i still love my manual... and if i got dual's i'd stick with my manual...

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
what are the pros and cons for wheeling each

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Since I have the other side of this view here's my 2 cents, I love my auto and don't even need anything but a good touch on the skinny pedal. That being said the biggest issues with running an auto is downhill, you won't have much if any engine braking so you really need to know what you are doing with an auto in that situation. Other than that I love me auto.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Since I have the other side of this view here's my 2 cents, I love my auto and don't even need anything but a good touch on the skinny pedal. That being said the biggest issues with running an auto is downhill, you won't have much if any engine braking so you really need to know what you are doing with an auto in that situation. Other than that I love me auto.

If you leave it in 1st with duals it has plenty of engine braking.

I switched to an auto and duals after 10 years of wheeling a single t-case 5speed.   I am really starting to love the auto.   I also switched to a v8 because I know the auto costs some power so if a 22r/re is going to be powering it I can see why many people would recommend the 5spd   That being said the only thing negative thing I noticed about the auto is that when crawling down hill the engine isn't turning enough rpms to let the power steering pump do it's job very well.  Hydro assist should fix this issue but I don't have it yet.  I found myself putting it in neutral so I can rev up the engine to help the steering.  A 5spd you can just clutch it when you need the pump pressure.   I'm now building a 5spd with the same engine so I'll be able to compare apples to apples.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

89 runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 190
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
A manuel is the only way to go. you tell it when to shift not a computer. watch the matrix :driving:
1997 3RZ 4runner DD
1987 4runner 3RZ project
1986 4runner 22re stock

rattlers

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
A manuel is the only way to go. you tell it when to shift not a computer. watch the matrix :driving:
I have a 5speed to , but with an auto cant you put it in 1st gear , and it will stay in 1st similar to the 5 speed or is it very different

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
love my auto but the lack of engine braking going down hill kinda sucks. i just throw it in N and roll down lol  when in drive or 1st, i find myself fighting the the downhill and the engine wanting to turn the wheels even at idle.
with an auto i didnt need dual

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

So Manuel  :bandit: drives and your riding shotgun and you tell him when to shift  :driving: your Manual . . . :dunno:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yeah that is what the little letters and numbers along side the shifter are for, just shift it to the desired letter or number and it will stay in that gear just like the one that they put on top of the shifter of a 5 speed and if you want to get really kinky put it in the "D" position it will do everything automatically. :gap:

sacsogv

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
I am i the same situation! I have an auto, and am told if I get the Inchworm adapter for the gear driven case it will solve alot of these problems. anyone know about this product?

Sorry for butting in, but I figured this is a very similar question and didn't want to start another thred.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
I am not a fan of autos.... always preferred a manual, just a lot more control and more power to the wheels.... I hate the way an auto just feels sluggish... Manuals have a nice POSITIVE feelings about them :yesnod:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

konarider1993

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
So Manuel  :bandit: drives and your riding shotgun and you tell him when to shift  :driving: your Manual . . . :dunno:

:usa: :beerwhack:
ha

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Manual!!

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
I run an auto with a 4.7 case i like it but its for sale an goin to a stick for the power cuz the runner is just to heavy for the daily drive a pickup is lighter. ! plus you never have to put down ur beer!

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Yeah that is what the little letters and numbers along side the shifter are for, just shift it to the desired letter or number and it will stay in that gear just like the one that they put on top of the shifter of a 5 speed and if you want to get really kinky put it in the "D" position it will do everything automatically. :gap:

on an auto. it only works with 1st gear. if you put it on 2nd gear. it allows the computer to shift into 1st or 2nd. same if you put it in 3rd gear on the shifter. it will only use 1 2 and 3. wont go any higher. 
now you can get a http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx 
than you can hold any gear in an auto

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
How about the electronic stall, there is a way to defeat it but you'll want to have a suicide switch since things will go very wrong if you stop in the defeat mode. I've been considering this for a while and thought that the suicide switch may be the answer to keeping the trans from blowing up. :gap: