Author Topic: 79 yota lift..is it woth the money  (Read 2446 times)

79rockcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
79 yota lift..is it woth the money
« on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:14:42 AM »
if anybody out there has used the ALL PRO OFFROAD extreme lift i just want to know if it is worth the money. im planning on getting one for my 79 4wd and would like to do it right the first time. another question i would have is at what point do i need to get a custom driveline? and who is the best at doing them

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
Re: 79 yota lift..is it woth the money
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »
depends on wat is you intention with the built.
Going, going, gone

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
With any lift that has any flex you will need a long slip joint on the front, if not any time you flex out the front on the PS the d-shaft will come apart.

A-P products are well made, they were designed and used by a hard core four wheeler.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
if anybody out there has used the ALL PRO OFFROAD extreme lift i just want to know if it is worth the money. im planning on getting one for my 79 4wd and would like to do it right the first time. another question i would have is at what point do i need to get a custom driveline? and who is the best at doing them

I have 5 inch AllPro front springs and run them in the stock location.  they are worth the money :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79rockcrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »
thanks for the help everybody.
my plans are with this truck to go 4-5 inches of lift.
if i plan on doing a custom tubed bed what difference in heigth should i go on the springs.
-1 or-2 inches in the back compared to the front?????

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
it depends on what you want to do with the truck...i've seen trucks with 3" lift and 33" tires that were ALL decked out and they would give my 4Runner sit'n on 35's a run for it's money...

if you are just gonna go hunting with it, or just cruise around on a dirt road with it, keep it as stock as possible, put some selectable lockers in it, some decent bumpers and some rock sliders on it, maaaaaaybe a dual 2.28 case... and you'll have a road worthy dirt road warrior capable of tackling any road you put in front of it, and pretty much any trail too as long as you stay away from the hammers. Rubicon would be tough but an experienced driver could make it

the benefits of get'n a lift like that, are you get a lot more flex, and typically it's a little easier on your drive train components... the ride will improve for those bumpy roads, and you'll be able to fit bigger tires... bigger tires basically make the rock smaller so you'll be able to go more places... and improve the ride of your rig even more... and exponentially as you air down those big tires... some of the downsides are you'll get more body roll, witch some people complain about, but with my experience, it doesn't feel bad when your driving, but people might notice when they are driving behind you, and your passengers might get wigged out by it, idk i hardly notice except low speed turning all the way to the locks with  my welded rear diff... but it's not that bad in my opinion...

so it's all up to you, and what your plan is for the truck...
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
oh yeah, and as for going with all-pro... they have quality parts and yes, they are worth it... if you want to rock crawl
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:19:36 AM »
I have a 1979 - 1980  all pro 6" kit  jeep waggoneers up front
And , after a year of breaking them in I'm goin to pull a leaf to soften
The drive , All pro and marlin leafs are the same !

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Search square driveshaft, ruf and f150 rears.  Cheap and good.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ikaria

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:34:10 AM »
I put a 3" All Pro lift (classic front + back) on my '83 last year. The truck was totalled in a street accident a couple weeks ago, but here are some observations:

1. The street ride gets REALLY harsh and bouncy (pull out a spring or two to soften)
2. The cross over steering on rebuilt knuckles (both come with front kit) is better than sex.
You go from blah to super tight, controllable steering that's slow to kick back on harsh terrain
3. IMPORTANT! 3" lift refers to spring height, NOT the complete lift height. I was pretty
dismayed to realize that my 3" lift was really a 4.5-5" front and 4-4.5" back lift over stock. I had to
order a pair of custom 1.5 " lift Alcan springs (fantastic, btw) and pull out a long leaf and a short leaf
from the back to get it down to 3". Unfortunatelly, by this time you're pretty close to maxing out the
high steer on the low end and need to modify your steering damper tie rod attachment (which is pretty
crude to begin with).
4. You will definitely max out the length of your front shaft. I ended up shelling out about $550 for a
high angle, long travel 7" shaft from the driveshaftsuperstore.com. Heavy duty, very well made. Expensive, but worth it.
You should also change the main shaft.
5. The flex on the Pro springs in the back is ok, but I never maxed out the 12" springs that came with
the kit. I ended up switching to 10" for the back and keeping 12" in the front with the much better flexing Alcans.

Now that I get to redo the whole thing once again (bought an '82 to replace my '83) I will probably save for
Alcan's orbits all around. I'll raise the suspension 2-3" total, just enough to clear 33's that I favor for my dd,
modest crawler.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
if you wanna drive it on the road in 4wd i wouldnt recomend the square d shaft call up tom woods he makes awsome drive shafts high angle and all  now you know that with all this "new" lift you going to have to do something about your steering id recomend marlins histeer so when your flexd you still have it.  Hi steer will also reduce bump steer when both on and off road i have an 81 with about 4 inches and  the po leghtened the stock push pull drag link idk how many times that wheel has nearly broke my wrist from being ripped outta my hands
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
tom woods drive line, and all pro leafs,,  and x2 on pull a leaf or two ! i run all pro rear and waggies up front ! :biggthumpup: