Author Topic: People with front Lockrights....  (Read 7846 times)

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
Re: People with front Lockrights....
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:21:34 PM »
sounds  :shocking:

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
Mechanical lockers in the front axle are not for driving in the snow on I-80 or any other freeway period they are great for wheeling i.e. snow , mud, dirt, rocks but not driving on pavement for any other reason than to get home. I had one had 6 years on it and know it has new gears and bearings and is still going strong if you want to be able to drive your truck get an ARB or electric, in your case blackdog it's is cheaper than gears so I would go with that unless you drive in the snow i.e. on the freeway through chain control.
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2005, 11:53:51 PM »
I just blew my quikloc in the rear of my truck.  I broke it origonally in moab on stump bump hopping trying to get traction.  After I gave up because my tires just couldn't get the traction I drove  back to the hotel.  My rig started to make a REALLY LOUD popping in the rear going straight and around corners.  My first guess was that broke a axle shaft and it was just flopping around in the back.  I took out the third and put it in my other axle because I noticed that my housing had gotten bent.  The shafts looked fine and I couldn't see anything broken in the locker.  I've been driving it for a week or so now and just the other day it started to do teh same popping again.  I was trying to take off from a stop sign and it just started to ratchet with no power going to the wheels.  Then BOOM it kicked in and locked up and I was on my way.  I'm gonna take it out and put in a detroit in the rear now I think.  Still confused to why it broke because the front has a lock rite and its working great.  That rear quicklok only had maybe 300 miles on it before it blew and the front has been running strong now for quite some time.  So I'd ahve to say that I really like them.  I just think I had a bad one quicklok and I'd buy another one with out much though.

Skim

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2005, 10:22:12 PM »
Got a rear Lock-Right with 32s and about 12-15K miles on it. Including 32 cross country trips.
85 Hilux Long Bed - For Sale

Twisty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:38:39 AM »
I have a noob question. I was told that if i put a locker up front it would jump cornering even if i had manual hubs. Is this true cause if it isn't i would like a locker up front and a gear type lsd in the rear. Since i it is going to be my DD for awhile.
82 Toyota Pickup 31x10.5 on 15x8 Cragar Nomad 1 wheels

01 Jeep Cherokee 3 inch lift  31x10.50

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2005, 01:12:14 AM »
I have a V-6 lockrite and carrier in my HP front diff and it doesnt make a bit of noise.  I actually heard it pop for the first time on sunday. 

Twisty, A locker wondt do anything with the hubs unlocked on the street.  Ignore whoever told you that.  I wouldnt waste my time with a limited slip int he rear or the front or a 4x.  Personally Id weld it just as I have done to the last 4 yota's Ive owned.  It chirps a bit on the road and the tires wear a bit more but I love the traction.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2005, 06:04:22 AM »
I busted my spiders on my Datsun (a long tim ago) So a buddy of mine sugested that I weld them so we did OH MAN what a BIG difference.  :shocking: In the mud it was like a whole new truck :thumbs:

Twisty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »
Twisty, A locker wondt do anything with the hubs unlocked on the street. Ignore whoever told you that.

Ok that what i figured what he said didn't make any sense but i figured it didn't hurt to ask. This was the lsd i was looking at for the rear but i still haven't decide. http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2005, 03:09:28 PM »

Ok that what i figured what he said didn't make any sense but i figured it didn't hurt to ask. This was the lsd i was looking at for the rear but i still haven't decide. http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html
I checked it out looks priddy good and comes w/life time warranty here's a pic

Twisty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2005, 03:39:20 PM »
Yeah the only reason i would consider that is cause it is a gear type and won't burn up like a clutch type.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »
If you put that lunchbox locker in the rear you are going to hate it!  I sold a lockrite to a buddy and he put it in the rear of his yota.  When he put it in I asked him why he wasnt just welding the rear and putting that up front.  He said he didnt want to deal with it being locked all the time and wearing his tires.  2 days later he called me for help in welding hte front diff and swapping them front to back. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??