Author Topic: Goodbye 3.0, Hello 3.4! I need help though, Anyone???  (Read 2170 times)

NW95runner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Goodbye 3.0, Hello 3.4! I need help though, Anyone???
« on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »
I have a '95 runner with a 3.0, 5 speed and 4.56's(stock!) It has a 4" lift and 33x12.50's under it. I love it but would like some more power so I'm buying a 3.4 with an auto tranny and the ecu, wiring harness, motor mounts, fuel pump etc. for $700. I want to keep my manual tranny, does anyone know if i can just get a bellhousing for the 3.4 and still use my tranny?? What other problems might I run into? I don't know a ton about engines or swapping one but my friend is a excellent mechanic and has swapped hundreds of engines. Does anyone have any info or links to help me out?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Austin in oregon.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
unless you get a 3.4's tranny, you need to use your 3.0 bellhousing.  the reason being that both the 3.0 and 3.4 use the same tranny, but the input shaft length(and therefore bellhousing length) is different between the engines.  so just bolt up your 3.0 bellhousing and it should be dandy!

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
motor should bolt up to the 3.0  motor mounts and your tranny.  heard rumor that some of the auto 3.4 cranks don't have the pilot bearing recess machined in.  other than that, umm... offroadsolutions.com has a lot of parts for the swap. :usa:

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Check out offroadsolutions.com according to them the cranks are different.  The crank for the manual tranny has a hole milled into it for the pilot bearing for the input shaft on the tranny.  but check the wabsite the have a wealth of info on there.
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

bkg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Check out offroadsolutions.com according to them the cranks are different.  The crank for the manual tranny has a hole milled into it for the pilot bearing for the input shaft on the tranny.  but check the wabsite the have a wealth of info on there.

ORS, last I checked, said that "some" cranks didn't have the pilot bushing milling.  If they've changed that to say "all", they are wrong.  I have been contemplating a 2000 4runner 3.4 that I have access to for a while.  It was shipped w/ an auto, but does have the pilot bushing milling.