Author Topic: Changing the fluid in a dual case setup - Question  (Read 8291 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Changing the fluid in a dual case setup - Question
« on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
I have a dual case setup with an Inchworm crawl box and will be changing the oil in it either tonight or later this week.  In the past, I've always filled through the front shifter until it came out the fill hole on the rear case.  I did this slowly to make sure to give it time for the oil to pass into the rear case.  My question is if I know about how much fluid needs to go in, shouldn't I be able to just fill it through the rear case and let it flow into the front case?  I'm not planning to remove the cross member so I won't be pulling the plug on the front case so I'm expect that it should take about 2 quarts plus a little.

Any thoughts?  I really don't feel like pulling all the shifters apart.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
you can fill it from either one, it should hold 3 quarts. even if you only pull the rear drain it will still drain the front box also at the same time, its all the same.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
you can fill it from either one, it should hold 3 quarts. even if you only pull the rear drain it will still drain the front box also at the same time, its all the same.

I'm pretty sure the front case will hold a little since the bearing isn't right at the bottom of the case.  A friend of mine just did this and didn't get as much as he expected into the case so he jacked up the back end and forced it to take more.  After discussing it with me he drained about a half quart from the expected total which indicates that it's holding about a half quart in the front case.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Also, I thought it about something like 1.7 qts in the rear and 1 qt in the front for a total of about 2.7 quarts?  :dunno:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
After draining it I always fill the rear case until it pours out the fill hole, then pull the shifter and add more to the front. I used to just fill the rear case, drive around the driveway in 4wd, and recheck it, but that took too much time. Just filling from the rear never seems to get enough into the front case in my experience. I don't even run the plastic trim around the tranny/front case shifter so it takes about a minute to remove my shifter.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I pulled the plugs on the transmission and t-case tonight and both were perfectly full and the little bit of oil that came out looked brand new so I aborted the mission and called it done.

I finally got the soft top put back of in anticipation of the upcoming Moab trip and it sure is easier to put on once you remember how it works.

toyota castine

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
Nice

superkaliguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
what weight oil or gear oil should i use? so  it doesn't matter which shifter i fill, but i need to pull of the drain plug just to make sure its full? kinda got lost, this is a noobie question

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
what weight oil or gear oil should i use? so  it doesn't matter which shifter i fill, but i need to pull of the drain plug just to make sure its full? kinda got lost, this is a noobie question

I think the best method is to fill through the forward shifter until it drains out the fill plug on the back of the rear case.  Don't overfill because it can take a while for the fluid to pass from the front to the rear case, but it worked well for me in the past.  It should be about 2.7 quarts total.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Either 75w-90 or 80w-90 should work fine.

superkaliguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Thank you :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
ive always dumped 1 qt into the crawl box and 2 qts into the rear then checked.  it almost always worked to within a few cups.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way