Author Topic: changed my steering colum, now my brights dont work  (Read 2058 times)

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
changed my steering colum, now my brights dont work
« on: Mar 29, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
so i got a 80 and had a non-tilt wheel, well this weeknd i swaped a tilt in. everything went together great, only difference i noticed was the big electrical plug. mine on the truck was black and the one of the steering colum is white, they pluged right into each other though.

my problem, everything works!....except my brights. although my brights do turn on when i pull the lever back to "flash" them but when i push it forward to keep them on, my head lights turn off all together....is it something in the big plug? could it something in the lever??  ???

JoeWelder [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
also, my old colum only had "fast" and "faster" for my wipers.....my new one has low, med, high. when i switch it to low, they do nothing. but they will still go "fast" and "faster"....is there a way to get the 'low" speed??

wesley

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '10
  • you gotta get a little mud on the tires
    • View Profile
your low speed probably wont work unless you change the wiper motor to one with low speed. for your headlights. your going to need to use an electrical tester on the column side to see what wires get hot when you turn on the lights and also the brights. do it wile its plugged in and shove the thing in the back where the wire goes in. just use on of those ones with the lightbulb to tell you if its powered or not. then make sure your wires from the headlights on the other side of the plug are going to the right turminal. my guess is the arent. and you will either need to alter the plug. or just bypass it for the headlight wiring. dang thats a long explaination. hit me back if you have a question about it

JoeWelder [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
alright thanks, thats what im thinkin....is the terminals in plugs are a little different or something....but its just to nasty out to go tinker with it.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
the "low speed" is a delayed pause,  aka intermittent wiper

the headlight switch probably went bad,  if i remember right you can swap the one from the old headlight switch
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

JoeWelder [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
so is there a way to make the intermittent work? do i just need to get a wiper motor like wesley said?

exxon

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
or the head light switch is just dirty, as they occasionally get
'86 4runner 22re
'04 TJ
'78 Ramcharger 440 35's

84yotaman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
I have a 84 that i did the same swap on and had the exact same problem with my brights. The problem was that one of the solders in the switch on the column had broken. There is a clear plastic cover that cover as the wire where they hook up on the switch i took it off and saw ther was a solder broke there aint much room to work but a little patience with the soldering gun and my brights work fine.