Author Topic: Electrical issue  (Read 597 times)

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Electrical issue
« on: Mar 24, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Warning: Long post

I'm not super active over here anymore but I could use some insight

I finally got my my 4Runner pretty good when the other day when everything on the instrument cluster shut's off except the charging light. I get home and whip out the DVOM and sure enough the alternator isn't charging. Put a new one in and still no instrument cluster light and it seems that the alternator is still not charging.

So I pull the alternator, have it tested, and it passes. By this time it's dark so I don't like messing with it. I get on the forum to see why the instrument cluster went out and found a post with a similar problem and it turned out to be the engine fuse. I pull the fuse and sure enough it's blown. I replace it and the instrument cluster comes on. In my excitement I decide to get in and run to the store forgetting that I have no alternator.

Well it dies and I once again have no power. I'm assuming that the disconnected alternator lead touched to ground because I blew the 80A Alt fuse. I also destroyed the fuse trying to get it out. So I decided to bypass the stock fuse block and wire in an 80A Maxi-Fuse. The problem I have now is it seems like I'm not getting any spark and the only electrical items that work are the gauges, rear window, and marker lights.

Any Ideas?

I've tried getting the EWD over on the TTORA page to open but it wont. Anybody have a link to a wiring diagram?
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.