Author Topic: New Laptop!!!!  (Read 2136 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
New Laptop!!!!
« on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »
I've never had a laptop before, so I'm just barely getting the hang of it (I'm at work right now, the laptop is at home). I got about 2 hours on it last night before I forced myself to go to bed.

Anyway, Matt and I looked at them for about an hour, deciding between a desktop and a laptop. I could have got a heck of a lot more computer if I got the desktop, but I wanted the laptop for convenience as far as our homework goes. Not to mention my desk isn't set up yet so I'da had to set up the desktop in the living room.... on the floor and TV tray

So, laptop it is!

Anyone have any good insight on this? So far the only complaint I have is VISTA :ack:

Pic/specs

What's Included

* Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology
    * Lithium-ion battery
    * AC power cable
    * Software: Toshiba DVD Player, Disc Creator, PowerCinema; Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5; Adobe Acrobat Reader and more
    * Owner's manual

Product Features

* Intel® Centrino® processor technology with Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T6400
      Intel® GM45 chipset, Intel® Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN network connection (802.11a/b/g/n) and extended battery life.
    * 4GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM
      For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB; 800MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.0GHz processor speed.
    * Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
      Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media.
    * 14.1" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display
      With TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution provides native support for 720p content.
    * 320GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
      Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
    * Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
      With 128MB-1759MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory. Built-in Harman/Kardon speakers.
    * CD/DVD control buttons
      Including play, pause, stop, previous track and next track provide easy media control.
    * Built-in webcam and microphone
      Make it easy to video chat with friends and family.
    * 5-in-1 bridge media adapter
      Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats for convenient digital photo transfer.
    * 1 IEEE 1394 interface and 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
      For fast digital video, audio and data transfer. 1 eSATA/USB combo port.
    * Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
      With RJ-45 connector and 56 Kbps modem ensure secure Internet connections.
    * Weighs 5.5 lbs. and measures 1.5" thin
      For easy portability.
    * Long battery life
      Of up to 5 hours and 24 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.
    * ENERGY STAR compliance
      Assures a high standard of energy efficiency.
    * Fusion finish with horizon pattern
      Provides a stylish exterior.
    * Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system
      With Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled for a stable platform.
    * Software package included
      With Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader, PowerCinema and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 also included.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Re: New Laptop!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
well i hope ya all like it  i would of goten a amd core  but that's me.    the way i see it  can now chat from the thrown,trail,bed,pool,lake,moon :thumbsup:

build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »
well i hope ya all like it  i would of goten a amd core  but that's me.    the way i see it  can now chat from the thrown,trail,bed,pool,lake,moon :thumbsup:

Everyone I've talked to says that AMD are not good for laptops - they can't handle the heat. They're great for a desktop, but not the compact heat of the laptop. The AMD Processor is notorious for overheating and having to be warrantied. So far I'm very happy with it! :woohoo:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Do yourself a favor, and don't get in the habit of setting the laptop in your lap, or on the bed or something, and using it.  That is probably the easiest way to overheat it.  Always have a decent hard surface underneath it.  I actually kept the small box that the laptop came in (the one inside the bigger box) and keep it on that when I'm using it. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »
you can get cooling fans for the laptops that run off the usb ports.  i ruined my last laptop by letting it get too hot.  i just bought a new hp and got a fan to go with it.  my fan is made to either be in your lap or on the table with the little legs opened up

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
I have new mac macbook all aluminum case. I have never had one before and I love how I can take it anywhere. With wireless internet it rocks!
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
Do yourself a favor, and don't get in the habit of setting the laptop in your lap, or on the bed or something, and using it.  That is probably the easiest way to overheat it.  Always have a decent hard surface underneath it.  I actually kept the small box that the laptop came in (the one inside the bigger box) and keep it on that when I'm using it. 

Thanks Jason. I put it on a pillow on my lap when I'm on it for long periods of time. If it's for a short period of time it's on a TV tray.

I ended up getting the floor model for 10% off because Best Buy is closing out a lot of their computers and making room for 'new models'. So I didn't even get a box :thud:

you can get cooling fans for the laptops that run off the usb ports.  i ruined my last laptop by letting it get too hot.  i just bought a new hp and got a fan to go with it.  my fan is made to either be in your lap or on the table with the little legs opened up

Right on Justin - I plan on getting one after I pay this off a bit.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »
i never had a amd overheat befor   but i never had a laptop so :dunno:   but im also one of those guys thats gots 8 fans in there case  and room sounds like a airport
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »
Thanks Jason. I put it on a pillow on my lap when I'm on it for long periods of time. If it's for a short period of time it's on a TV tray.

I ended up getting the floor model for 10% off because Best Buy is closing out a lot of their computers and making room for 'new models'. So I didn't even get a box :thud:

Right on Justin - I plan on getting one after I pay this off a bit.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it on the pillow.  The reason being, its the soft stuff that conforms to the bottom of the laptop and blocks the heat from escaping.  You want it on a harder surface, and certainly one that is less apt to trap heat (table is better than a pillow for long periods of time)
Yeah, don't put it on your
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2009, 06:10:20 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't put it on the pillow.  The reason being, its the soft stuff that conforms to the bottom of the laptop and blocks the heat from escaping.  You want it on a harder surface, and certainly one that is less apt to trap heat (table is better than a pillow for long periods of time)
Yeah, don't put it on your

Gotchya... I'll be using something else then :) Thanks.

GreyBeard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Dec '06
  • I'm gettin' too old for this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Great Buy!  Especially the 4GB of RAM, that should make any display intensive programs or having multiple programs up run much better.  I also have a Toshiba laptop and discovered that I had to be careful not to block the fan air intake on the bottom.  I have a small 1/4" plywood tray with some foam glued to the bottom that I use when I must have it on my lap.  I also really like having a wireless mouse.  I'm not fond of the touch pad, but will use it in a pinch.  It's also great to have wireless in the house, so I can use it anywhere.  That's also great battery life - one of my pet peeves is short battery life.

Dennis
'87 4Runner, 22RE, 5 speed, 4.7 Txfer, 4.88:1 f/r, ARBs f/r, 33x10.5x15 BFG Allterrains, Marlin front bumper, CBI-fab bolt-on sliders and rear bumper w/tire mount, and Sigh...still IFS

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
Great Buy!  Especially the 4GB of RAM, that should make any display intensive programs or having multiple programs up run much better.  I also have a Toshiba laptop and discovered that I had to be careful not to block the fan air intake on the bottom.  I have a small 1/4" plywood tray with some foam glued to the bottom that I use when I must have it on my lap.  I also really like having a wireless mouse.  I'm not fond of the touch pad, but will use it in a pinch.  It's also great to have wireless in the house, so I can use it anywhere.  That's also great battery life - one of my pet peeves is short battery life.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - I am going to have to figure something out for a pad other than a pillow. Thanks for the heads up on the fan intake.

I am going to have to get a mouse - I'm not fond of the touch pad either, but it does work in a pinch :yupyup: And I'm very happy with what it supposed to be the battery life - 5 hours as opposed to the usual 2-3 hours! :woohoo:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
Sweet setup.  I've been kicking around the idea of a laptop, and Toshiba's are one the of the best.  Outside Apple.  Intel processors can handle the abuse.  Amd's don't like the heat and being pushed to their limits.  And laptops just don't have the airflow. 
Get some of those little rubber pads that stick on.  That way you can get airflow under the laptop until you can get one of the airflow cushions.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen