Author Topic: laid off  (Read 2752 times)

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
laid off
« on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
Mark me on the list.

6 years with J scott refridgeration, 4 as the lead installer and I got the boot yesturday along with a whopping $225 severance package.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: laid off
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
Mark me on the list.

6 years with J scott refridgeration, 4 as the lead installer and I got the boot yesturday along with a whopping $225 severance package.

wow that sucks man, time to start your own business

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »
That freaking sucks dude.  sorry to hear.
I like to Drive!

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
:headscratch:  i thought that when you got laid off you went and signed up for unemployment (at least thats how it is out here), getting severance pay me they gave you the boot and have no plans of bringing you back

if you was the lead dude, and did nothing wrong  did they fire those under you??  maybe they're going out of business
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
Sorry man, that sucks!  I agree though, seems like there should be plenty of business for a competent independent contractor in that line of work  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
That sucks! I get laid off every winter, I work as seasonal firefighter, and I collect unemployment. I make a couple hundred more than my GF does working full time. Its get boring but I have time to work on my junk.  :eyebrow:

Good luck in your searches.
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »
Yeah I think the company is tanking. either that or he is selling his clientel..

I have been trying to get into wildland firefighting too, I have the level 2 certs but I couldnt seem to get accepted anywhere.. im trying again right now putting my avue applications in

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »
where are you trying to get on with? Forest service? what state are you in? I worked for the FS for 5 yrs then got on with Cal-fire, this will be my 7th season. FS is differently a good start, I got alot of good experiance there. good luck Bro.

EDIT: it always helps to go to a station and shake hands with the guys. The like to be able to put a face with a name. Avue just gives them a huge list of names...
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 10:35:10 AM by 00Rokyoat »
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »
Im in Arizona. Im trying to get on with the FS, I was trying for the blue ridge hotshots. I was hangin out with them a couple days a week workin out with them and was all set for a spot and for some reason avue rejected my application and my name didnt show up on their last list. I put in for a few engine jobs and handcrew, level 2, 3, and 4 and was accepted since then but still havent heard anything.

I know what you mean, the whole month of january I spent just drivin all over the state meeting people.. this next week im going to be doin the same in case I can find an open spot.   :crossed:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »
That sucks! I get laid off every winter, I work as seasonal firefighter, and I collect unemployment. I make a couple hundred more than my GF does working full time. Its get boring but I have time to work on my junk.  :eyebrow:

If you make enough as a seasonal firefighter to support yourself year around I don't think it's fair to the rest of us to collect unemployment.  Working on your "junk" isn't an excuse to not have a job.

:rant:

On the flip side, with the amount of cash the government is throwing away these days you might as well get your share.

:yupyup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Another arizonan unemployed :thumbdown:. Join the club i have been unemployed since 2-28. Good luck with the job search. :biggthumpup:

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
I too, for about a month now.  This is the only real "break" from work I've had since I was 18!  Thank God for wheeling!
Go 1-Ton from the start

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
wow that sucks man, time to start your own business

That's exactly what you need to do.   Form an LLC and make up some mailers.  Work out of your house to keep expenses down.  If you can remember any of your former employers customers they would be the 1st place I would send the mailers.  Offer them a cheaper rate if they mention the flyer.  Then get mailing lists from your local Chamber of Commerce office and send them flyers until you can get some phone book ads. 

This is what I did 8 years ago and while money was really tight the 1st year I was able to collect unemployment benefits until it the business made money.  Spend anything the business makes on the equipment you need for the first 6 months.  That way you qualify for full unemployment benefits.  You can find plenty of specialty tools for your field on Ebay.

There are some other sneaky tricks you can try if you want to "legally" get even with your old employer but I'd rather you PM me if you want me to tell you those. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me