Should i build my 4runner or my tacoma or trade the tacoma for a 4door tacoma

4runner
6 (33.3%)
extended cab tacoma
1 (5.6%)
4door tacoma
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Should i build...? got a tow rig building the runner with pix  (Read 4307 times)

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
 ???

i have dana 60s front and rear and 8 lug beadlocks to under what ever i build 

the runner has dule cases full cage 22re that wont pass smog:wall: stock 81 toyota axles under it right now traded my build toyota axles for the 60s  its a all around good rig but just not sure if i want to keep buildin an older rig. i would be putting on 42s on the runner so would most likely have to tow it and i do not have a tralier or a tow rig.

i have an 04 tacoma 3.4 5speed 32s ext cab 100xxx miles on it. and the truck huals ass if i build the tacoma it would only be on 37 as dd

or should i trade my tacoma and get  4 door tacoma and build it

thanks 4 your time and your opinion:biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 06:42:40 PM by thegoofster21 »
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Should i build...?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
any suggestions thanx the pros and cons
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2009, 05:38:08 PM by thegoofster21 »
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

jmoffroad.com

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
I want to see a 4 door Taco on 42's, please!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
4 door taco with a 3.4, do a 5 speed swap, and s/c it :) then do the fullsize axles and have it be on at least 40s
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 652
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
[img width= height=]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/116/l_c452a1fcfadc31c6321b4dc8c5465d20.jpg[/img]
85 toyota pickup(sold)
92 toyota ex cab pickup SAS'd 4d's 27 spline chromos 5:29's and lockrights front and rear arp knuckle studs

my build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=44691.0

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
4 door taco with a 3.4, do a 5 speed swap, and s/c it :) then do the fullsize axles and have it be on at least 40s

:yesnod:
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

toyomr285

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
s/c it what is that

jmoffroad.com

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »
i would build the 4runner because with the 60s it can tackle anything and you already have duals for it and a cage and a nicely broken in platform to work with.  you have more engine choices with the 4runner and it will be easier to pass a clifornia referee.

the tacoma is what you drive that is 99 percent dent free anyway its really up to how much money you are willing to spend on either projects
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
4 door taco cab on an extended cab frame bobbed and truggied. Best of everything, room of a 4Runner, no rear overhang, awesome wb and it's a Toyota.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
4 door taco cab on an extended cab frame bobbed and truggied. Best of everything, room of a 4Runner, no rear overhang, awesome wb and it's a Toyota.
i like this idea. swap a 3dr taco cab onto teh runner...wait...thatdbe a SWB rig. so maybe not. oh well. sounds good anyways. :thumbs: RS
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:36:45 AM »
still looks like the runner will get built

jmoffroad.com

escout03

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Nov '08
  • Shakin' Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »
Since you already have the pickup I would build it, theres nothing like being able to roll up your windows and crank the AC on the way home from the trails (not to mention youd typically get a better response from the ladies after a long weekend in the woods). From there I would build the 60's with clearance in mind since you said you'd be thinking 37's, which I would run with an inner beadlock (staun, inner air lock etc.) and a good set of radial 37's like the new BFG KM2's. I would keep it fairly low which would not only give it great stability with the 60's but it would also keep you under the radar as much as possible. I'd sell the runner (in parts or whole) to fund dual cases and a front 3link with CO's on the taco. I think it'd make for a nice capable rig that still had some creature comforts not to mention the power of the 3.4

:twocents:
Steve

'86 4runner, SAS'd, 35's etc.
'02 CTD, 6speed, Edge, Exhaust etc.

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:40:33 AM »
Since you already have the pickup I would build it, theres nothing like being able to roll up your windows and crank the AC on the way home from the trails (not to mention youd typically get a better response from the ladies after a long weekend in the woods). From there I would build the 60's with clearance in mind since you said you'd be thinking 37's, which I would run with an inner beadlock (staun, inner air lock etc.) and a good set of radial 37's like the new BFG KM2's. I would keep it fairly low which would not only give it great stability with the 60's but it would also keep you under the radar as much as possible. I'd sell the runner (in parts or whole) to fund dual cases and a front 3link with CO's on the taco. I think it'd make for a nice capable rig that still had some creature comforts not to mention the power of the 3.4

thats what im thinkin as well

jmoffroad.com

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

couldnt you swap the runner transmission over to the taco and keep your cases? and then you could still use your pass side drop front 6o without the extra taco adapter.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »
not sure about the runner trany i think im going to just get a adapter to use the taco trany  but im going to only use the geared case dont want to put any holes to make the duels work. 

jmoffroad.com

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »
Build the runner, keep the taco for a dd
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:55:24 AM »
Build the runner, keep the taco for a dd
if i do that i may have to buy a tow rig and a trailer

jmoffroad.com

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:32:20 AM »
if i do that i may have to buy a tow rig and a trailer

Thats a good investment to have.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
looking at a tow rig

jmoffroad.com

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »
I faced a similar decision a few months ago when I decided to ditch my DD/wheeler and build a new 1-ton rig.
Just by chance I stumbled across this on craigslist.

It is a 85 celica with a 22re and w55 (2wd w56). I bought it for 500 dollars with a rod knock and put a low mile 22re from my 4runner in it. It has AC, cruise control, power windows/locks, and even a sun roof. With the back seats folded down I was able to carry an fj80 front axle in the back. Parts are common and cheap as almost everything is the same as the trucks and 4runners. It is actually pretty fast and fun to drive and gets 25-30 MPG.  It fits my needs perfectly and is the most important tool I have bought for my new build.

I am not really trying to sell you on this particular car only use it as an example. You might want to look into a cheap efficient car or 2wd truck for a DD. It does not have the  :bling: factor but it can save you a lot of money for more important things and allows your wheeler to be a wheeler.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
sweet sweet

jmoffroad.com

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
got a tow rig  :disturbed:
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 06:43:28 PM by thegoofster21 »

jmoffroad.com

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
Props on the tow rig.  Now all you need is a trailer.  You can usually find those pretty cheap.  When i got mine i got a brand new carson car hauler for 2 grand.  Can't beat that
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
DD the Taco, Build the 4runner, Tow with the Ford, there you go  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
got to sell the taco the ford is my dads he just give me the ok to buy it from him finally. only $10,000 2000 f350 7.3 6" lift 35s and a chip

jmoffroad.com

thegoofster21 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
Props on the tow rig.  Now all you need is a trailer.  You can usually find those pretty cheap.  When i got mine i got a brand new carson car hauler for 2 grand.  Can't beat that

thanks man

jmoffroad.com