Author Topic: homemade headers  (Read 8449 times)

joeshmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -34
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
homemade headers
« on: Sep 28, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
i was thinking of making my own, dont really want to spend 400 on a header.  whos made them, anything specific i should be going for?

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: homemade headers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:31:33 PM »
Are you skilled at this?  I did it once, made a set of fenderwell exit for a 460 Ford.  I used some parts from Headers by Ed they sold collecters and flanges pretty much everything you would need, but I doubt you could get Yota stuff from him or if he is even still around.  It took me a month and cost three times what I thought I would save, would never do it again.  They didnt even turn out good. Have you checked the for sale section here? There was a brand new Downey up for half price.  Also try Craigslist I have scored many great deals off that.  Good luck.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
it isnt just a matter of slapping a bunch of pipes together -- just buy a header
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
Yeah, what happened to Headers by Ed anyway............

I got an exhaust manifold flange of off e-bay so I can eventually make a header.     

If you can weld up an exhaust system, you can probably weld up a header with mandrel-bent sections of pipe.

When I had my exhaust manifold off to get it surfaced (and to put threaded inserts in the head with new studs after I broke a couple of studs) I tried to figure out how to run the pipes................. it's trickier than you think...
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

joeshmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
i can fab, and i want to try to build as much as i can on my truck, gives me an excuse to get away from the wife to work on it. im planning on copying the design of a header just got to figure out my mesurements.  just need to know approx how think should my flange be and how thick of tubing should be used?

joeshmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
one of the last times i was out in my truck on a night run i went over a rock, bottomed out on my exhaust and broke it.  i cant seem to find a shorty header for the 22re, hense the reason i want to make one

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »
Are you trying to tell us you bottomed out on the exhaust manifold?  :screwy:  Seriously, you've never welded up anything like headers before since your asking so many questions, and you probably don't have the right kind of set up for getting into tube work.  Ever try to Mig or Stick some light gauge tubing before?  Your gonna burn straight through it.  Just go buy the header.  Trust us.  :shake:
Go 1-Ton from the start

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »
I'd gladly build one, but I have both a downey and nwor header now so I'm set.  Te51 levin has modified headers to fit his use before and it seemed pretty doable.  I know of a good tig welder who built a set of stainless headers for a hot rod and the total cost was around $2500  :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
do you have the capability of welding thin stainless steel?

would suck to spend all that money on tubing, then find out you can't do it

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:41:17 AM »
How are planning to determine the tube lengths you want?  You could easily build one and gain zero, or actually lose, performance.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
How are planning to determine the tube lengths you want?  You could easily build one and gain zero, or actually lose, performance.

some people can and do build their own, and more power to them..... but there actually is a means to the madness...... it isnt just a matter of slapping pipes on a flange, and if you dont do it right, it can actually restrict the motor....

gotta ask yourself if it's worth doing damage jsut to try and save a couple bucks, buying all the stuff to make your own isn't cheap either.... and you can find good used headers for $100 if you are patient

~ John F. Kennedy ~

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »
 You could buy a quality used header, copy the design and then resell the used header.
I purchased one new from LCE a while back and I'm happy with it. the amount of r & D it would to make my own is not worth it.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2008, 04:52:48 AM »
he is wishing he would never said anything about making a header i bet.........lol
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »
I am all for doing it yourself thats why I tried it but I am also all for learning from others.  For me it was agonizing, you may enjoy it, but don't take some of the responses here as being harsh they are just trying to help steer you away from mistakes that have already been made.  If you do it post up your results good or bad.

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »
If you want a cheap header you can get a hedman one for like under 200 shipped from autozine, summit or anywhere like that, just know that it will prolly wearout sooner than a quality one from LCE or other toyota specilizing places
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
It a good thing you asked that here and not on pirate4x4. they will tear you up for asking simple questions. Here we are just trying to give you the been there done that before you do the same.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
No doubt, I was reading a post on pirate where they flamed the guy because he was running 33's on his truck and never really gave him a straight awnser to his original question.  I like it here.

joeshmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »
thanks for the input, i appreciate the help here, alot better than pirate 4x4 where it seems if you dont know it all you get flamed. ended up with a hooker header from a local board for cheap.  anything i should be aware of? hooker header wise

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
It a good thing you asked that here and not on pirate4x4. they will tear you up for asking simple questions. Here we are just trying to give you the been there done that before you do the same.

Amen
Go 1-Ton from the start

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
dont get it hot, then splash it in the water, thats how my pace cracker to :pokinit:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:43:36 PM »
LC Engineering has a kit that you purchase to do just this. Comes with flanges and pre bent tubing.

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductSearch.aspx?Class=1545&Page=3
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »
 funny how this kit is way more than buying  a pre made header, looks like a hassle
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »
The flange is only $33 though, and tubing won't cost you a whole bunch.  Collector might cost a bit more depending on how you go.  Tri-y wouldn't be too hard to make, and a 4 into 1 shouldn't be too spendy either if you go that way.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

joeshmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
what it all cames down to then is, how much is your time worth

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »
I don't value my own time when working on my own projects.  I've put about 20 hours into smoothing out 1 side panel for my street bike, and friends said I was wasting my time and would have been ahead just buying a new one.  I don't see it that way, because I don't pay myself and can't put a dollar amount on my time.  If I only put $5 and 20 hours into fixing a part that will cost me $440, I'm way ahead in my eyes!

The pride I would take in making a bitchin header would far outweigh any time I put into it.
RIP KYOTA

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
I always have to consider what my time is worth. If it's something that I just plain do for my own entertainment purposes, or I'm trying to learn a new skill, then it's totally different. If it's a repair or something that I don't want to do or have the time to do, then it's often "cheaper" to let someone else do it or buy the part. In my mind, it's always a part of the equation.
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:26:44 AM »
my bro has a hooker header on his 83, and it takes as much abuse as the truck does. 100,000mi and still has no leaks, and we are a bunch of mud puddle freaks.

edit: haha that rhymed