Author Topic: There trying to close Fordyce please help!!  (Read 7343 times)

Toyotony

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
There trying to close Fordyce please help!!
« on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
A meeting is being held in Nevada City Ca tomorrow wednesday october 1st at 6:30 pm at the Elks Lodge. Anyone that knows the trail should come and show their support. This is happening all over california dont let this trail be next! please repost this anywhere you think it will be affective and tell a friend!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Re: There trying to close Fordyce please help!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
Noooooooo...   :willynilly:
I like to Drive!

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
who is  the ELKs ?    or is it state.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

CTorri

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Walk the Line Crawlers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2008, 03:53:28 PM »
Looks like they are having a lot of these meetings.  The Forest Service in Sierraville (Sierra County) is having one on Oct and I know there is one in Truckee (Nevada County).  I have a bullitin that was handed out around town at home...I will check it and post!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2008, 06:03:45 PM by fortysixandtwo »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »

It's a historic lodge/meeting hall that most old towns have here in CA.

Thanks for sharing guys!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
no winter wheeling is horrible :rivers: :outtahere: lets stop this!!! I know there are alot of people on the marlin board that hit up fordyce  :beerchug:

Toyotony [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
I just returned from the meeting and it was pretty disturbing! its not just fordyce its over 1400 mils of ohv and non classified roads there pretty much trying to close down all the roads I've been wheeling around in my hole life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2008, 10:59:48 PM »
if barrack osama becomes president, you can bet on a lot more land closures all over the country
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »

they're up there with the Lions club, or the Kiwanis club :thumbs:  Same kinda thing.  Old club, lost of community involvment and so forth.

if barrack osama becomes president, you can bet on a lot more land closures all over the country
Unfortunately, if Obama becomes president, this will be the least of our concerns :down:

I just returned from the meeting and it was pretty disturbing! its not just fordyce its over 1400 mils of ohv and non classified roads there pretty much trying to close down all the roads I've been wheeling around in my hole life!

Stay involved!  :thumbs: good on ya for going to the meeting.  Make sure and talk to the Rangers, and get them involved in the cleanups.  We did one last nov, and the rangers that came out and helped were shocked that they'd consider closing the road that we cleaned up!  Its was one of the 2 accesses to a fire tower!  :yikes:  Remember, the rangers aren't part of the big planning, its the muckety mucks that are shutting everythign down.  We need to do everything we can to get and keep the rangers involved  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2008, 11:38:26 AM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »

this is indeed sad news.  :down:
I like to Drive!

Georgetown_Local

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 88
  • Member since Apr '08
  • I got your JEEP Thing Now I Can't Pee!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »
How do you like this.    :maddest:
Propaganda posing as news.
Call the Georgetown Gazette at 530-333-4481
let them know that you can not get away printing a Biased  Political Agenda as a news story.
also email them at editor@gtgazette.

Georgetown Ca.
Gateway to the Rubicon.
MCR 09 I'm Number 4 on the list

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
Deaf ears, that's what you'll get from a writer like this. Still you can always tell them to go to hell just so they know that we exist.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
you wanna post the email/ address that we would send for the editorials?  We can flood their editorials with those letters  :gap: 

Don't know if it would do much, but hey, why not :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Georgetown_Local

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 88
  • Member since Apr '08
  • I got your JEEP Thing Now I Can't Pee!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2008, 05:43:33 AM »
you wanna post the email/ address that we would send for the editorials?  We can flood their editorials with those letters  :gap: 

Don't know if it would do much, but hey, why not :dunno:
Call the Georgetown Gazette at 530-333-4481  :_order:
email   editor@gtgazette :_order:
Georgetown Ca.
Gateway to the Rubicon.
MCR 09 I'm Number 4 on the list

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
Looks like they are having a lot of these meetings.  The Forest Service in Sierraville (Sierra County) is having one on Oct and I know there is one in Truckee (Nevada County).  I have a bullitin that was handed out around town at home...I will check it and post!
Jeff this is exactly why I moved from calyfornia my wife and i lived in lake tahoe for 25 yrs then clinton gore closed the forest 1400 mi of trails then we moved to quincy and the forest service started closing everything there!!!!! good luck to you
don whitman

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
it is better to try to do something about it, than to let them steam roll you over

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
I can understand a little bit why they want to close fordyce as well as others. A lake in the area of fordyce that I go to several times a year is getting trashed. Examples such as a camper shell that has been dumped,shot at and crushed, strewn about a campsite, meadows with tons of tire tracks-looked like 50 trucks spinning donuts, flowers everywere including right on the water, thousands of bullet casings, tons of garbage- appliances you name it. I go camping at different places in the Sierras almost every weekend in the spring,summer and fall and its the same story, some worse than others. Its not just hurting people who go to the Rubicon and other trails but people who like to explore all the dirt roads in the mountains. Sometimes I wonder if the word is getting spread about being more responsible. I think alot of people dont give a crap.
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:34:50 PM »
I can understand a little bit why they want to close fordyce as well as others. A lake in the area of fordyce that I go to several times a year is getting trashed. Examples such as a camper shell that has been dumped,shot at and crushed, strewn about a campsite, meadows with tons of tire tracks-looked like 50 trucks spinning donuts, flowers everywere including right on the water, thousands of bullet casings, tons of garbage- appliances you name it. I go camping at different places in the Sierras almost every weekend in the spring,summer and fall and its the same story, some worse than others. Its not just hurting people who go to the Rubicon and other trails but people who like to explore all the dirt roads in the mountains. Sometimes I wonder if the word is getting spread about being more responsible. I think alot of people dont give a crap.

where is this lake you talk about? Have you took the time to look at what the clean ups are all about? have you seen how much work they are doing?  Why have it closed down to the wheelers when the garbage that is left their is most of the time left by people with out rigs that use it for a dump site.  I have been to clean ups and seen first hand the hard work people do.  You and others should get involved in telling others and spreading the word.  Unstead of throwing your hands up and saying give up because of a few bad apples does not make since to me.  Turn that location that you got into Friends of Fordyce or pm me and I will make sure it gets to the right people to look into it.  I am going up their in November and have been there a month ago and the trail was well maintained.   

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
Closing the trail will only keep us from going into the area, it will not stop lawless people trying to dump their junk. In fact it makes it easier to do since they won't have to watch out for us coming down the trail.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
where is this lake you talk about? Have you took the time to look at what the clean ups are all about? have you seen how much work they are doing?  Why have it closed down to the wheelers when the garbage that is left their is most of the time left by people with out rigs that use it for a dump site.  I have been to clean ups and seen first hand the hard work people do.  You and others should get involved in telling others and spreading the word.  Unstead of throwing your hands up and saying give up because of a few bad apples does not make since to me.  Turn that location that you got into Friends of Fordyce or pm me and I will make sure it gets to the right people to look into it.  I am going up their in November and have been there a month ago and the trail was well maintained.  
Well this is one of many areas I know of that are getting trashed, Its called Sawmill lake, its closer to the Meadow lake area, I guess thats the end of fordyce? If you keep going up the road past Sawmill there is Faucherie lake and theres a bunch of trash in that area too. My father and I have been cleaning up as much as we can loooong before it became popular. I know this isnt exactly fordyce but its close enough to effect the whole area

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
Closing the trail will only keep us from going into the area, it will not stop lawless people trying to dump their junk. In fact it makes it easier to do since they won't have to watch out for us coming down the trail.
I agree 100 percent but I also think it has a little bit do with people messing around, destroying trees, doing donuts off the trail, blazing new trails etc. This along with the trash situation continues to be problem at least were I go

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
There are no words for my anger when i hear about people doing these things.   It is truly sad that most people don't care. :down:
I like to Drive!

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
 :werd:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
I agree 100 percent but I also think it has a little bit do with people messing around, destroying trees, doing donuts off the trail, blazing new trails etc. This along with the trash situation continues to be problem at least were I go

I haven't been to Sawmill in maybe 6 months but the last time I was up there I didn't see any of this going on, we found some random little bits of trash and cleaned that up but nothing substantial that one or two vehicles couldnt manage to dispose of. Maybe it just happened within the last couple of months but I too have been going to Sawmill for years and I have never seen what you are talking about (to that magnitude, which worries me). From what you are saying it sounds to me that this is the work of "average joe douchebag" not us, responsible wheelers. Pretty much anyone can get out there (last time I camped at Sawmill there was a freakin' Ford Focus out there, just so you know that while the road out might be rough, a Focus still made it out there) so it doesn't surprise me that this is happening. But taking it out on the responsible people is just silly. Greenhorn, CA is also mostly closed now due to people that steal cars, abandon their waste, and cook meth in the woods. Despite our efforts to keep the place clean, its everyone OTHER than the wheelers doing the damage, yet WE are paying for it. Closing the trails that only we can access is not going to stop the destruction, because there are a million places these people can take their crap, and our favorite trails happen to be the best location because of the remoteness of the entire area.

The point is, WE are not the problem. Its everyone else that is. If I came across someone dumping their :pokinit: out at Sawmill I would be pissed and I would not hesitate to confront them (as I have in the past at not just Sawmill but many other surrounding areas and others). The thing is, it is these scumbags that get our trails closed. Average Joe idiot citizen doesn't distinguish between a tweaker with a four wheel drive (or ford focus for that matter) and a nature loving, 4 wheeling enthusiast who works hard to keep trails clean and open. Hell, we hauled out 3.5 burnt cars, and 75+ cubic yards of trash from Greenhorn and the local media gave all the credit to the "South Yuba Citizens League" who barely sets a single foot in the area, yet alone organize a massive clean up like we did. It took 4 months of angry letters and phone calls to get the paper to print a correction giving US credit, and even then it was just a minor note on the back page. Sometimes I have taken out so much trash from various areas in Nevada county that I sometimes have a hard time fitting all my stuff back in the truck by the time we are ready to leave. Punishing me for all the hard work I have done up there over the years isnt going to stop Tweaker Joe from dumping his meth biproducts, old washing machines and junk garbage out there. Like someone else said, its just going to make this kind of behavior more prevalent because these people will know the area is going to be even less likey to have any kind of enforcement.

I don't doubt your claims of major piles of garbage but the people that don't give a :pokinit: are not WHEELERS. They are everyone else that has access to the areas. Next time you head to Sawmill even if for a day run to do some trash clean up, please send me a message. My friends and I have been camping there for a long time and would be more than willing to come do some clean up or some skull cracking in regards to this matter. We love that area and will not let it be lost because of some scumbags who want to ruin our recreation as well as that of thousands of others. Thanks for the heads up on the trash situation because that really pisses me off. I love that area and I do not want to see it get ruined, or lost, because of this kind of bull crap.  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »
I'm not putting the blame on any specific group ie wheelers, city folk, locals etc. I didn't mean it that way, sometimes I can think clearly but I cant always speak or type clearly. :hammerhead: Anyways the camper shell looked like it was there for a while but the trash and flowers looked pretty recent. At the site next to us there was a garbage bag full of old laundry and a crap load of old warped plywood. Also down by the dam that area always has trash. We usually make a couple of runs down to the dumpsters at Jackson Lake with stuff. I'm very pissed too because I love that area as well as the many other out of the way places that I have been or yet to go to. Thats funny you mentioned the focus, I was there last in September and this guy passed by on the way to Faucherie in one of those scion coupe things. My Tacoma was dragging all over the place I don't know how the hell that kid got up there.

Toyotony [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
I camp in all the area you have been talking about and if i have ever noticed such thing (garbage etc..) i would have taken it upon myself to pack out as much as i could and organize a clean up. even if the clean up consisted of a few buddy and a pickup. This is what its going to take to keep these trails open that we love so much.

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »
i would have taken it upon myself to pack out as much as i could and organize a clean up. even if the clean up consisted of a few buddy and a pickup. This is what its going to take to keep these trails open that we love so much.

What it's going to take is peer pressure and power of influence by setting and example, as well as education.
Get involved.  Don't get into a fight or be a tough guy - but if you see someone doing wrong, approach them nicely and speak up.  If they don't care, begin the process yourself and start cleaning.  They may feel guilty, they cross over to our side.  Tell them why.  And tell them nicely.

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
What it's going to take is peer pressure and power of influence by setting and example, as well as education.
Get involved.  Don't get into a fight or be a tough guy - but if you see someone doing wrong, approach them nicely and speak up.  If they don't care, begin the process yourself and start cleaning.  They may feel guilty, they cross over to our side.  Tell them why.  And tell them nicely.
amen

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:14:59 PM »
Just wondering if there's any update on this. I'm going to be in Nevada City this weekend and was thinking about heading out to check out Fordyce for the first time, if it's possible. Been wanting to check it out for a long time, but have never got a chance to.

Hopefully it doesn't get shut down, whether I ever make it out there or not.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com