Author Topic: 22R Idle problems again....  (Read 3164 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
22R Idle problems again....
« on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:52:07 AM »
So on x-mas eve I had some running around to do and decided since the truck was running great to drive it around for the day and make sure everythings in tip-top shape. It ran fine ALL DAY but when I was coming back from my Grandparents house that night I started hearing this crackling sound (really weird sound, never heard it before) coming from somewhere underneath like engine/transmission. I dont have a boot on my front t-case so there's a hole there, i can hear any odd noise that goes on becuase it comes right up into the cab through that hole. If anyone has an advice as to what to check it would help.

First i'll try and describe the noise. The closest thing I could correlate it with would be the type of noise that the Starter gear teeth on a mis-aligned or bad flywheel teeth would make, like that scratchy high pitched noise as if the teeth were not getting full contact or slipping some how.... anyways if you know what i mean then thats the sound. It almost sorta sounded like a "wire brush on metal" sound, but much louder.

Once it made that sound a few times it went back to not wanting to idle, it'll still run just wont idle. So i suppose im going to go back to looking for a "idle" dependant part of the engine that may be failing or not working at all.
I believe that it's something that's intermittently working and not working, thus it run's fine for awhile then craps out on me.... only thing is... WHERE would that kinda noise be coming from!? very odd!

Any advice or help would be appriciated on this one guys.

Thanks.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: 22R Idle problems again....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:38:04 AM »
Maybe something is dragging on the flywheel (starter?) or you have rocks or crap in the clutch and it's trying to stall out the engine when in gear at stoplights with the clutch in  :headscratch:  :headscratch:   from what  you describe it sounds pretty odd.  I've seen bellhousing bolts come loose and fall out causing noise when the engine/tranny get misaligned.  Maybe check that?

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 06:39:45 PM »
I have seen the bolts that hold the metal plate between the block and bellhousing back out and rub against the front side of the flywheel.

Does the noise change when you push pedal the clutch to the floor?
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2004, 04:44:39 PM »
i was  thinking maybe a pressure plate spring broken

Marlins question is important, does the sound change at all when the clutch is mashed or engaged
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2004, 04:46:36 PM »
hmmm   could be a distributer advance weight come loose, never seen it  but :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:12:12 PM »
No Marlin it doesnt matter if the clutch is pushed in or not. I should have also mentioned that its not a constant noise, it comes and goes. I heard it once then a second time with a short pause the first time and as i was coming home when i began to come to the stop sign i heard it again and right after that it wouldnt idle.

But to answer your question directly, no it doesnt matter if the clutch is pressed in or out. Although both times i heard the noise the clutch was not pushed in.

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 07:55:07 AM »
pilot bearing going bad?
throw out bearing going bad.
did you replace the pilot bearing when you did the tranny?

derek

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 11:10:43 PM »
yea but i dont see how that would effect idle...

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
Bringing a long dead topic back, I was wondering if you ever figured this out Shamb. Does the sound resemble metal on metal crackling or does it sound almost like cellophane or plastic wrap crackling?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting