Author Topic: Auto tranny problem?  (Read 1105 times)

papasmurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin in Ohio
    • View Profile
Auto tranny problem?
« on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
A new problem developed on my rig.  90 V-6 4-runner auto tranny.   When parking on a slope, Park will hold the truck still untill I shut it off.  It then wants to roll untill it doesn't have too much of a load on it.  I know this could be a parking pawl issue but why would it only let go when the truck isn't running?  Another  recent problem (related?) is that under load, the tranny pops out of reverse into neutral.  That problem arose after raising the rear of the truck to compensate for the SAS up front.  I thought it just may be the rear DS angle and a worn tranny mount or something.  Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any ideas? :headscratch:
You can't get there from here!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Auto tranny problem?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
the reverse issue sounds like a broken motor mount

the park issue  means  big tires are too much for the park paws, so get a E BRAKE
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »
Does your shifter physicaly move from reverse to nuetral? The park issue i haven't ran into i need an e brake too someday.

papasmurf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin in Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply's.  I haven't been able to check the motor mounts this week but I will try this weekend.  The shifter does physically move out of reverse towards neutral.  I would love to get an e-brake in but time isn't allowing for the fab work and parts sourcing.  I want to fab up a transfer case output e-brake eventually.  Even with an e-brake, I still would like to have Park hold on a hill.  Other than weight, I can't see why the larger tires would overload the parking paws since the axles are re-geared to match the tire diameter. 
Thanks again for the replies, I'll post after looking into it further this weekend.
You can't get there from here!

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
There are some plastic bushings that the shifter rides on . Mine were totaly gone and would shift from 1st to drive all the time. You have to pull the hole shifter assembly.Dont take youre shift levers apart though just unplug and unbolt you will be much better off.Mine rattled around and drove me crazy check out yotatech.com for the other problem most of those guy's run auto 4 runners :thumbs:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
There is an adjustment on the shift linkage, this happens all the time when lifting auto rigs. Also make sure it doesn't pop out at the bottom of the trans bracket where the linkage goes through.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you