Author Topic: Car wax?  (Read 1777 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Car wax?
« on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:23:56 PM »
So, I went and got some car wax to polish up the rigs.  And holy crap  :yikes: how many different types of wax can there be?  They got pre-wax cleaners, and rubbing compounds, and then there are all the different types of wax styles! 

So,  which one do ya'll prefer?  I like the old standard, turtle wax.  Cheap and it works!  I need to find one that doesn't leave white residue on the black trim.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Car wax?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
I've had good experiences with the Mother's line of stuff :thumbs: 

I've also discovered that boat wax works quite nicely as well.  :gap:  Doesn't leave that white residue either.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
how pretty are you trying to get? you can also use stuff like clay bar...

mother s and meguirs are good.....

turtle wax is cool too
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
How oxidized are your vehicles?  I got some boat wax/gelcoat restorer from walmart, made by 3M for my dad's boat (20 year old searay)  cleaned it up very nicely, so i tried it on my dad's van.  It cleaned it up quite well too.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:51:29 PM »
Turtle Wax, of course!!!!  Iv'e used many different kinds but still prefer the  :turtle3:
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »
Meguires Yellow wax.
I can't spell, but this stuff http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-paste-car-waxes/Hi-Tech-Yellow-Wax-Paste
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
Best stuff you can get for cleaning is made by Novus - clearcoat and fiberglass cleaner.  The #2 stuff is the same grit as polishing compound.  The #1 is just liquid - 0 grit - so it won't work.  #3 will darn near take off anything - use sparingly.

For wax I like plain Carnuba and elbow grease.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »
I admire all you guys who spend hours cleaning, polishing, waxing.  I used to do that too, but now that I'm older and wiser lazier, I take the easy way out.  Now I'm not saying my way is better -- far from it -- but for those of us who don't wish to expend the time & elbow grease, it seems to work okay.

I don't wax at all. After I wash the Tacoma (with car mild wash liquid, not detergent), I dry it off using two microfiber cloths and Eagle-1 Wax-As-You-Dry. I have a chamois but the microfiber works so much better. I use one cloth to do the majority of the drying (constantly wringing it out) and the second, dry cloth to finish. It's quick & easy and looks great, and rain beads up quite nicely. After three years the truck still looks like it did when new...  even the 13 year old ZJ cleans up nicely with Eagle-1.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »
What ever else you do, get this. Apparently it'll take care of everything from butt zits to car polishing.
http://www.shamwow.com/
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
I dry it off using two microfiber cloths and Eagle-1 Wax-As-You-Dry

Like father like son  :haha:  I've used was as you dry since it came out and love it.  It even works great on the windows too!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2008, 06:14:13 PM »
What ever else you do, get this. Apparently it'll take care of everything from butt zits to car polishing.
http://www.shamwow.com/
I am unable to check myself for butt zits, and Mrs Stocker is no help at all...    :outtahere:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.