Author Topic: Just an FYI  (Read 1411 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Just an FYI
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:59 AM »
I don't deal with paypal very often, but I was selling some stuff the other day on CL and a buyer wanted to pay with paypal.  Got an email from "paypal"  that said

NOTE: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both inequalities (Buyer & Seller) from online fraudulent activities. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

You will have to email us the tracking number to the PayPal Customer Care at: pp.csd.worldseller@accountant.com. As soon as we receive the "SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER" from you, you will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" concerning the accreditation of the funds into your PayPal Account and we shall get the funds credited into your PayPal Account within 24 hours.

Granted, the email seemed fishy, but as far as the whole note goes, the real paypal confirmed that paypal has no such program in place.  They transfer the money from account to account immediately, no holding it until the seller ships the item(s).  If you see something like this, it is a phishing email.  :thumbs: 

Just an FYI
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
Re: Just an FYI
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:53:35 AM »
Good to know.  I don't really use pay pal but still good to know.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »
Good to know.  I don't really use pay pal but still good to know.

Same here.  There was some other stuff on the email that was fishy (all the "paypal" links were www.paypal.com/row/ (whatever there was, customer service, security tips, etc.  )  it was a very well done up email, passed all the tips paypal says to look for for scam emails, except for the links, and what I posted above.  BTW, the www.paypal.com/row/ is also an indicator of a phishing website.  DONT GO THERE.  :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:44:34 AM »
Definitly a scam.  You can "play it out" if you want to if you have a UPS online account.  You can create the shipment and it will assign the tracking numbers before it actually leaves your posession and see what happens.  Obviously do not give that website anything but the tracking numbers that it is asking for.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:47:01 AM »
no legit website should even be asking for a tracking number... there is no reason a website would need that.... tracking numbers are between the shipper, the recipient, and the seller
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »
I knew that didn't sound right!  Did you get back to the *buyer* yet and let them know you found out about their scam?  I'd say pass the email addy off to the authorities, but they change their emails so often that it's nearly useless.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
SCAM!!!

Go to your paypal account and have it set up to NOT send ya emails.  That way you know that all emails from paypal is junk.  One of the things that we need to do, is never click on a link in a email, go to your browser and to to the site directly and then log in to see if anything is really wrong. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »

I know it is a scam, that is why I put it, just to pass it on to those that don't know. 

I knew that didn't sound right!  Did you get back to the *buyer* yet and let them know you found out about their scam?  I'd say pass the email addy off to the authorities, but they change their emails so often that it's nearly useless.

:yesnod: 

-Ronald Reagan