Author Topic: temp gauge dont work and i need some help please  (Read 2234 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
temp gauge dont work and i need some help please
« on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »
im just wondering if the pros can help give me some things to look for to try and figure out why my temp gauge is not working properly in my truck which is an 86 efi and it has a tach but i dont think that should make much difference. anyways the gauge will just be sitting down at the bottom or cold and then will just all the sudden jump up to normal operating temperature and then stay thier or sometimes may go back down to cold and then back up again Thanks All

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
sounds lile a bad ground or connection.....

just an FYI, the factory temp guage is pretty much a joke. It is a last ditch effort, when it says its TOO HOT! it basically means your engien is already screwed up and it is about to explode
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
im just wondering if the pros can help give me some things to look for to try and figure out why my temp gauge is not working properly in my truck which is an 86 efi and it has a tach but i dont think that should make much difference. anyways the gauge will just be sitting down at the bottom or cold and then will just all the sudden jump up to normal operating temperature and then stay thier or sometimes may go back down to cold and then back up again Thanks All
I've got the same problem, just watch for steam. :twocents:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile

just an FYI, the factory temp guage is pretty much a joke. It is a last ditch effort, when it says its TOO HOT! it basically means your engien is already screwed up and it is about to explode
is this really true? my temp gauge totally controls the way i drive my truck.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile

i agree with this completely!! mine blew up @ 7/8th hot, not even red yet. they are horribly inaccurate!

so install a quality aftermarket guage, and ignore the factory one!

i used an autometre

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Did you change anything? Different engine, convert from the standard dash to an SR-5? If you did you may need to switch out the sensor. As to it not being accurate I've never had that problem, they've been good to me.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

:yesnod:  My temp guage sits right below middle (just left of the little thermometer symbol)  if it passes that symbol, my truck is hot, and I'm pulling over.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
yes i have just swapped the motor out but i was having the same problem before the motor swap. The truck is a factory sr-5 with the tach in it. Where exactly is the temp sensor located at is the the sensor right on top of the thermostat housing?

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
i agree with this completely!! mine blew up @ 7/8th hot, not even red yet. they are horribly inaccurate!

so install a quality aftermarket guage, and ignore the factory one!

i used an autometre

Yes yes.... swap that baby out.... thats why there called dummy guages. Check all connections for now, and also look at your themostat, make sure it's still good too, i have had this problem to because of bad thermo's

military_stang
:respect: