Author Topic: Rear shock question  (Read 1419 times)

lbhsbz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Rear shock question
« on: Dec 02, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
I've just put 4 inch lift leafs in the back of my 86, and I had figure out the shock setup.  I have bilstein 10" shocks. 

With the truck up on jackstands, rear suspension at full droop, should I set the shocks up so they are fully extended with the rear at full droop...or should I leave another inch or so of droop travel in the shock?  I don't have anything in my garage to flex the suspension right now, but I'm wondering if when one side is fully compressed, will it force the other side spring to droop more?  Right now, I've got it setup so the shocks are fully extended at full droop, and I've got about another 5 inches of compression travel with the truck on the ground, but I can change if necessary. 

thanks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 05:07:43 PM »
I've just put 4 inch lift leafs in the back of my 86, and I had figure out the shock setup.  I have bilstein 10" shocks. 

With the truck up on jackstands, rear suspension at full droop, should I set the shocks up so they are fully extended with the rear at full droop...or should I leave another inch or so of droop travel in the shock?  I don't have anything in my garage to flex the suspension right now, but I'm wondering if when one side is fully compressed, will it force the other side spring to droop more?  Right now, I've got it setup so the shocks are fully extended at full droop, and I've got about another 5 inches of compression travel with the truck on the ground, but I can change if necessary. 

thanks.
u want it so that there is about an inch or so left on the rod at full compression (this could change as the springs settle, so be willing to deal with this later if needed) I doubt you will reach the full length of the shock at droop....if you do, you need longer shocks
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

lbhsbz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »
thanks, I know about leaving room in compression, but if the truck is supported by the frame, with the suspension at full droop (no shocks attached), when I mount the shocks with the truck in this situation, should I have the shocks at full extension or should I leave an inch or so.

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »
leave an inch or so. When you start to flex the axle will rotate further and droop more than just sitting there.
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...