Author Topic: weber 180............  (Read 2057 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
weber 180............
« on: Aug 15, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
So after many failed attempts at tuning my fuel pressure, float level, and even re routing my bowl vent, i got fed up with not being able to stop on a hill and idle with my 32/36....

I searched for a good hour on the subject of putting the weber on backwards, to no avail..... So i just decided to go for it...

From this

To this

It all went pretty easy, i used a throttle cable from an 85 runner with a 22re, and the throttle quadrant off a stock carb from a 70's? toyota...then some 1" strap...

I do have a one piece adapter (IMO WAY better than the 2 piece POS) which sits higher so that may have helped with any clearance issues....my throttle cable bracket combination may not have worked if the carb was any lower as right now it is touching the choke....

but you could always run the cable at a little bit of an angle to get around the choke part, or run a non-elec choke, as it is it runs and drives but i have not had a chance to test it on a hill....

also, in this position it will be damn near impossible to adjust the air/fuel mix, so get it right before you flip it :screwy:...I also left my stock linkage and have all the parts i need to swap it back to the forward position if a problem should arise...
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: weber 180............
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »
My experience with redoing the vent has been similar, still wants to flood out at even a slight angle, I maybe gained 5 degrees of angle before it happens.

I've considered flipping the carb around but one question always pops up:  do I want the truck to die while going downhill?  Nope, I don't want it to die either way! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
yea i figured it was the lesser of the two evils, but today when i test it not only did i stop on a very steep hill and not stall, but when i stoped coming nose down it didnt flood either, so until i get more extreme with the fuel delivery this is the way im going to run it.....and down hill yea always got compression to keep the motor going and the brakes working....

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
 :headscratch: :dunno:did you read the post on "how to make a weber run uphill"? its located in the 79-83 section on this forum under"how to" good luck < I had the same problem...also, according to "weber manual" you only need 3.5PSI max fuel pressure-my stock mechanical pump puts out 4.7-so a fuel pressure regulator is needed***the 29.00 one from kragen is :pokinit: :pokinit:, so invest in a good one :twocents: :crossed: