Author Topic: 82 rough idle and slight hesitation......  (Read 1397 times)

82TRD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
82 rough idle and slight hesitation......
« on: Oct 22, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
just got a rebuilt carb from cteng and it helped out my hesitation a lot. its weird tho, its like there is something else going on w my truck. sometimes it fires up fine and and idles fine and sometimes it wont. ive been looking at the vaccume actuator that goes to the choke and i cant find a diagram to see where it goes. i know the choke isn't working and when i turn the ac on the truck doesnt idle up. its probably just something stupid but im not really that good w these trucks. I got the fuel level kind of low in the site glass cause to begin with it was so full i couldnt even see it. i need to get that right in the middle. would that cause it or i was also thinking maybe my egr. I just drove it and suddenly while i was driving the truck just started missing really bad. i reved it and it went away. this is all stuff that happened w the old carb except the old one would idle up when the ac is on. any suggestions? anyone close to bakersfield ca that maybe i could take it too?  i looked on other threads and i saw some stuff about bad egr's. not sure where to begin. plus this carb is of a later model truck. thanks.
nick

82TRD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: 82 rough idle and slight hesitation......
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
k so after a full day, the truck no longer runs out of fuel because of low float level. still slightly rough idle. now my problem is there is no choke and when i turn the ac on the truck doesnt idle up. i def need the choke in the mornings but the ac doesnt bother me to as much. any help. confused maybe a couple vac lines??? have many diagrams, only 2 i cant figure out where they go. please some help. thanks nick  ???

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »
vacuum lines can be a lot of fun. if your idle is off I'd check for a vacuum leak around the carburetor base and intake manifold. spray some wd40 around these areas and see if it changes the idle speed. if so you've got a leak. vac lines are hard to do if your using different year componets. try just having the distributor hooked up and plug the rest. make a drawing of how they are first so you can hook them back up. i like to hook them up system at a time. dist, egr, hai,choke, and so on. you can also get new vacuum hose and  replace each hose one at a time

82TRD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2007, 01:52:59 PM »
im gonna go try the carb cleaner trick right now, forgot about that. Can someone tell me exactly where the choke and fast idle vac lines go. or is that too hard to explain. all of the diagrams dont show where the fast idle line goes and the choke is not even there. i just drove about 50 miles and its like i have a whole new truck. better response and plenty of power. just idle and start up are a little off. thanks for any advice.  :bowdown:

82TRD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:25:59 PM »
someone within a few hours of bakersfield? ill pay!!!