Author Topic: marlin 5" leafs for front of SAS tacoma  (Read 4623 times)

#1Bear

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
marlin 5" leafs for front of SAS tacoma
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
Greetings, making my first post here. Although I am not new to the cyber world nor Toyota's! Been over on the TTORA site since forever.

Anyway here is my quandary. I have a '97 Tacoma Xcab with a Dana 44 under her. Currently the axle is tied to the truck via All Pro 5" springs. when I did the conversion, I was not aware the A.P's were so soft or for better words weak.

I am not knocking All Pro in the slightest. I enjoy many of their products. But these springs have been sagging on me since three weeks after installing them due to the weight of the taco and the springs being designed from the pre taco pick ups.

At this point the drivers side leaf spring is flat. I need to replace them A.S.A.P. Especially since I just installed a 12000 mile marker winch to the front of my truck.

Will Marlin's 5" springs support the extra weight of the taco? Not only do I have extra weight in regards to the winch, but I also have a first gen Bent up front bumper (modified to around 120lbs+92lbs for winch) sliders made out of 188 walled square 2.5" tubing, and interior roll cage. In the bed I have a CBI tire carrier with my spare 37" tire.

So as you can see I have a lot of extra weight to be concerned with. What makes things tougher is my spring hangers were mounted for the all pro springs. So I can't just replace them with rancho springs or any other "standard" springs without having to cut off the shackle hangers and reposition them.

What do you guys think? Marlins or custom Alcans? I would rather deal with Marlin if at all possible.

Offtopic: Whats up Glen? I haven't seen you over on TTORA in a while.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: marlin 5" leafs for front of SAS tacoma
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
Personally, I think that the All Pro, Marlin and Trail Mart springs are all very similar in design and if you're not happy with one the chances are slim that you will be happy with any of them.  The design and quality varies, but overall they are similar products.  They are all designed to provide maximum articulation and as a result have reduced load handling capacity.  Trail Mart does have a heavy duty application in the 5 inch springs that MIGHT have a high enough spring rate to support your truck, but I'm certainly not recommending them.  I opted to spend the extra money and am running Alcans because I was not impressed with the Marlin Springs that I have been around.  I believe that Marlin Crawler always works to provide the customer with the best quality products possibe so I assume that if I didn't like the Marlin Springs there would be no change of being happy with either All Pro or Trail Mart.

If you have the money, go Alcan!  They have treated me well.  All four springs had some issues, the rear showed up stock length rather than the 6 inch extended, and the fronts didn't have enough lift.  They replaced the rear springs for the difference in original price (miscommunication in the order) and corrected the front springs (required new main leafs) and charged me nothing for the work or shipping.  I figured that I would share some responsiblity in a custom spring, but they took care of everything.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

#1Bear [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
I appreciate the response. I am debating between the Marlins, the Alcans. and a local shop to make custom springs for me. Figured Marlin to be a good product while also being my cheapest option.

Everyone I know that has ordered from Alcan has had to have them correct one issue or another, which kinda makes me want to stay clear of them.

I guess I am basically still in the "same mud hole"…and I hate mud! Thanks for getting back to me though. I do appreciate the honesty in your post.

Any others with ideas or comments?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »
I still recommend Alcan springs.  They will stand behind the product and they are great quality allowing them to last a long time.  I'm not sure I would trust a "local" type of shop, but only you can be a judge of that.  Alcan has a reputation for being the best.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »
Hi Bear, We met at the roundup in hotsprings. Do you have comparable pics of how much your springs have saged? Have your springs become curvy or S shaped? Have you let the springs travel past flat?

I am wondering if there is more to your problem than just the wheight difference.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Twisted_Fenders

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
I hear so many people talk of the problems with their All pro springs. I must have gotten a good set because I am running the 5" all pro springs on my 01 tacoma double cab with bent up front bumper with warn 8000 and rock sliders and 37" spare in the bed with other recovery and parts equipment plus I have the bentup rear bumper. and after 8+ months they settled about .5"

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
:sofa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:05:23 AM »
Love my Alcans! Super Flexy!

The Marlin US made springs are also really nice!
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2007, 11:15:27 AM by LA_Fred »
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

Big-A

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Apr '06
  • shut up and wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:12:27 PM »
The Marlins flex very well also!

I love my Marlin springs!  :drooling:

my rig

2003 solid axle Tacoma double cab with a couple dents

lbz134

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:08:47 AM »
Have you looked into TG 5" HD springs.. I got a buddy with a 96 4 runner.. Arb front bumper with 9000lbs Warn winch and hes got no problems at all with sagging..
DrCoop   :flamer:

THE NOW KNOWN AS "SOFT TACO" BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33969.0

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:46:44 AM »
I have Alcans on my 85 runner and on my T100, front and rear on both and i love them, well worth the money and when you order them you tell them how much weight in the front and in the rear and how much crap you take with you and they build the spring to that
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-