Author Topic: Full Spools for Rear  (Read 1888 times)

snowplow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Aug '06
  • smoke tires not drugs
    • View Profile
Full Spools for Rear
« on: Sep 07, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
Have any of you guys ran the Full Spools in the rear of the truck? I have 37's and Im thinking that Detroit Lockers either click out or scrub the tires on dry pavement, and in rain they just scrub the tires. That doesnt sound too different really than a welded rear or a spool. A spool will scrub the tires in the wet, and scrub then in the dry too which the locker seems to 1/2 the time anyway. How bad is the welded/spooled rear's manners??

Rockhoppa

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Full Spools for Rear
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »
If your worried about tire wear then dont run a spool or a welded diff. I would only run em if it was a trail only rig.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
Most spools or lincoln locked diffs, aren't road friendly.  If your axles hold up to the abuse, then your tires are gonna suffer.  And let's forget about when the road is covered in ice or snow!  Your safer and better to get a selectable locker, I know they are not cheap, but it will save $$ in the long run in repairs or worn out tires!  There are alot of people that are running locked up axles on the road, and haven't had any problems, but you need to look at their driving habits too! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »
I drive at least 300 miles at the very minimum  a week with a welded rear and its fine.  I drive like a complete ass alot of the time no matter what the weather is like. Ive had it like this for about six month and it doesnt drive any different than the detroit locked truck I used to drive for 2 years

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »
Ya, i drove a lot in snow and rain with a welded rear.  If you know how to drive at all then you should be fine.  the rear of my truck was no different with a spool then when i had a detriot in the back.  just the detriot would pop without notice and jerk the whole truck to one side.  that was scarey.  most people that condone spools have never ran one.

JZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
    • Heres the Yota
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »
I ran a welded rearend for 2 year and now I got a spool in the front and rear. just like hyena said if you know how to drive you'll be fine. my truck use to be my daily driver, I drove it to and from my first job and the second job was delievering pizza's, yeah I was using my truck (welded rear with 39.5 iroks) as a pizza delivery rig, didn't have any problems. I also love how much control I had in a powslide during the rain, people get freaked out when they see a big truck drifting around a corner.hehe

Jakesteads

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 842
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
get a spare third its as easy as that.... or just run it... i have a spare welded third i put in when i go trail riding then put the open one back in its not hard
I like Toyota

GhostMoney

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 247
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »
I have welded rear that I daily drive atleast 500+miles a week. I have had no problems with it, just funny looks from people when I turn sharp corners and the tires chirp. :biggthumpup: