Author Topic: Less Area Means More Squeezed into a tighter Box..... ah-duh  (Read 2050 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/155886.html

Shrinking space, more vehicles squeeze off-road recreation
Agencies struggle to designate routes for riders, enforce limits on trails' use

BY STACEY SHEPARD, Californian staff writer
e-mail: sshepard@bakersfield.com | Saturday, Jun 2 2007 9:05 PM
Last Updated: Saturday, Jun 2 2007 9:08 PM

At the same time off-highway vehicle ownership in the state has soared, Bakersfield's sprawling development has left local riders few places to use their four-wheeled toys.

As a result, nearby public lands owned by the Bureau of Land Management and Sequoia National Forest have been inundated with off-highway vehicles. Motorized recreation is allowed in many of these areas, but the surge in riders has agencies scrambling to designate routes, enforce rules and prevent the spread of trails into ecologically sensitive areas.

"We definitely feel the pressure," said Cheryl Bauer, a recreation manager for the Sequoia National Forest.

Riders flocking to the southern part of the forest in the Piute and Greenhorn mountains near Lake Isabella have carved more than 600 miles of new trails in recent years.

During that time, riders were allowed to off-road throughout the 150,000 acres in that part of the forest, meaning they weren't required to stay on specific routes and could blaze their own trails.

But the massive proliferation of new trails came as a shock to forest managers, who have since clamped down on riding. Riders can no longer wander off trails. And the forest service is drafting a plan to decide which routes will stay open and which will be closed off because they traverse habitats for endangered species or run through sensitive streambeds.

The BLM faces similar problems on 7,000 acres in Keyesville near Lake Isabella and on 30,000 acres near Taft.

Ever since the bluffs in northeast Bakersfield were closed to off-road vehicles several years ago, riding in these areas has spiked, said Steve Larson, assistant field manager for resources at BLM's Bakersfield office.

Riding is allowed only on designated routes on local BLM lands, but Larson admits a lack of signage makes it difficult for riders to know which routes are open. Riders often veer off course, creating new trails that tear up plants, cut across archeological sites or cause erosion, he said.

Several years ago, BLM undertook an effort to restore some unauthorized trails with new vegetation. But much of the work has since been destroyed because what little signage exists gets torn down, Larson said.

He estimated the agency would need about $30,000 to properly sign all the routes. Last year, it spent just $5,000 on signage.

While off-roading on public lands is legitimate recreation, officials said, agencies must also protect animals, land and archeological sites and allow hikers, campers and others to enjoy the natural surroundings free of noise and dust.

"Motorcycles are built to displace dirt, and they're a legitimate use in the national forest, but that type of sport requires they're ridden on a trail built to standards," Bauer said. "Otherwise, you have (environmental) concerns, or you have conflicts with a guy on a motorcycle and someone on a horse."

The impacts of increased off-roading on public lands was one of the main arguments for building a local off-highway vehicle park when the vehicles were banned from the bluffs, said Jack Patterson, vice president of the Kern Off-Highway Vehicle Association, which has 500 active members.

"If you close down a section of a highway from three lanes to one lane, that one lane is going to get a lot more use," Patterson said. "You haven't changed the amount of people who use the vehicles locally, you've just reduced the number of places they have to ride."

For now, land agencies are taking trail inventories and investing in better signage.

But the long-term issue of enforcing rules seems insurmountable.

The Sequoia National Forest spends about $21,000 to hire off-highway vehicle patrols in the summer months, but "it's a matter of being in the right place in the right time," Bauer said.

The Bakersfield BLM office has just three rangers to patrol more than 600,000 acres in eight counties. Even if a ranger spots a rider in an unauthorized area, "if someone is on a motorcycle it's just about impossible to catch them," Larson said.

BLM spends about $50,000 annually on local off-highway vehicle enforcement. But it would require about triple that amount to do it effectively, Larson said.

Larson and Bauer agree that a local off-highway vehicle park is sorely needed.

"We would support an OHV park located somewhere in the Bakersfield area because it would alleviate pressure put on the public land," Bauer said.

Gee you'd think they'd get it already. The more areas they close the less we have so we squeeze more and more into smaller and smaller areas. I look out sometimes at the vast areas out there and wonder where that road goes and where does that one go but oh noooooo you can't travel down that road even though it has been there since the wagontrains first carved them out.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It's totally sad.  My dad remembers back when you saw a dirt road, wanted to know where it went and drove down it.  Now they've successfully gated off the majority of the area roads.  One in particular is closed for the winter, which is totally understandable, but so many are gated just because they can.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Larson and Bauer agree that a local off-highway vehicle park is sorely needed.

"We would support an OHV park located somewhere in the Bakersfield area because it would alleviate pressure put on the public land," Bauer said.

They should spend some of that money on an offroad park.  They know what to do now if they could just get doing. If there is a possibility of even opening some of the exhisting land to ohv use there is an outstanding possibility for some income to promote some of the closed property along with the open to ohv land. Recognizing the problem , and the solution is stupid if you do nothing! :headshake:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The thing that gets me about creating yet another OHV area is they use them as a model to show why we can't be allowed to wander through the forests. What do they expect, squeeze everone into a small area and sure that area is gonna get messed up.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
so much for public land for public use.

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I like a tight box myself...

now back to your regularly scheduled program
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I like a tight box myself...

now back to your regularly scheduled program

:roflsign:

For a while I wanted to be a park ranger and for a project I had to do for one of my classes, I interviewed my friend's dad, who at the time was head of state parks of california (hes now retired). I spoke to him about 4 wheeling, and why they dont maintain areas for offroad use, ect. His reply was funding, he told me that the government has been cutting forest and park service funds for a decade, each year it gets worse. Like the article mentioned, there are 3 rangers for more than 600,000 acres of land. He claimed it was just "easier" for them to gate areas off and close trails down because there was no way to enforce it with his measly staff.

I am sure this plays a big part in all of this. I think an offroad park would be cool, but I wouldnt want to see it as a "solution" to this problem. I enjoy trail riding and going into the woods for that exact reason: its the woods. Im sure a park would be fun but there is nothing like exploring the back country. People need to be respectful though and thats another problem with the big surge in new riders......people just dont tread lightly. They dont respect the land. All in all its a crappy situation.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
cutting forest and park service funds for a decade, each year it gets worse. Like the article mentioned, there are 3 rangers for more than 600,000 acres of land. He claimed it was just "easier" for them to gate areas off and close trails down because there was no way to enforce it with his measly staff.
thats why we need to adopt  trails,  we have one  here  thats  gonna be closed  but  we are  working to keep it open
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
I know one thing, the people that are littering our ORV parks with trash, disobeying the rules, (safety and other) and destroying trail sighns, are messing things up for those of us who are thankful to be given a place to do what we love....
What kind of jerk destroys a trail sighn anyway? Or takes their truck lode of trash to the ORV park to dump?
I drive 160 miles round trip to get to the nearest ORV park, just to find it trashed by vandals and litter bugs. What a disaster....