Author Topic: Installion of aftermarket stereo Questions?  (Read 3278 times)

81tyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Dec '05
  • ^ thats my 81 p/u 3 1/2" lift and 35's
    • View Profile
Installion of aftermarket stereo Questions?
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »
 Ok I just got a Kenwood(kdc-2011S) stereo for my 81 yota and well I have some questions! The first I had was if any of you now of an installion kit or something for this year toyota, mainly the wiring harness, or will I have to hard wire it in? I was also wondering if you guys could get some pictures posted up of how you did it, like were you installed it in the dash. Well I have looked all over some pictures of some aftermarket stereos mounted in the dash and have came up with nothin, Can ya help me out?

Thanks

StillH2O_Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Installion of aftermarket stereo Questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:03:24 AM »
I started out mounting mine in the glove box at a slight angle towards the driver.  Didn't want to cut up the dash.  Mounting it up some 90 degree braces with a brace on the outside above the glove box.  I cut the wires to the existing deck and wired the new harness in and left everything else alone.  Right now I am running a Tuffy center console with the deck mounted in its stereo compartment.  Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Good luck and my advice is don't cut the dash you will regret it.
1982 Yellow SWB SR5  L52HD, stock height, Pro Zap Front Bumper.  In the family since it was new in 82.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »
X2 The dash in the 1st gens went made for todays radios. Don't cut it up, it'll look like  :pokinit: Glove box is good & the Tuffy is good to. As for the wiring, there is no kit. If it's still the factory wiring it isn't difficult with the 1st gen. It's a power, ground, left speaker +, right speaker + & a common ground for the speakers. Wiring should be in the service manual.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »
The PO stuffed a huge one in the dash of my 83 but he cut the face plate of the head unit to fit with very little trimming on the dash.  I pulled it out expecting major hacking but nope. The speakers in the doors are another story.  When I get to that point I am going with the Tuffy set up and either putting an old stock radio or some sort of switches/gauges in the radio spot.  I vote for glove box or center console setup.

StillH2O_Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
The speakers in the doors are another story.
  Yeah I can agree with this.  I put in new speaker holes in the bottom of the doors near the front where your feet go.  Now while the speakers cover most of the offending destruction it is not easy to get 6.5 inch speakers in there, no good advice there.
1982 Yellow SWB SR5  L52HD, stock height, Pro Zap Front Bumper.  In the family since it was new in 82.

81tyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:05:35 AM »
 I was looking at putting it in the dash yesterday but I dont really think I want to go that route. I cant go with a tuffy center council due to there only being 4" between my new seats Corbeaus. But im going out right now to check and see if maybe and underdash kit could possible work? What did you guys use to mount it in the dash though?

StillH2O_Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:18:34 AM »
I would have to look and see the distance between my MR2 seats right now but they do flex up a little at the edges of my Tuffy console but not enough to bother me.  Would your seats flex just enough to allow the 6.5 inch width?  Also if people see it they are more likely to snag it, outta sight outta mind.  In the glove box and in the center console.

Exterior Dimensions: 24"L (includes cup holder), 6 1/2"W, 18 1/2"H (includes 4" mounting bracket), 3 1/2" Holes for drinks
Interior Dimensions: Rear Compartment: (Length is Tapered) 12”L(top), 16”L(bottom), 6”W, 12”H
Stereo Compartment: (All sizes) Comes pre-cut for DIN Mount stereo 2 1/8 ”L, 7 1/4”W, 7”Depth, 67° Angle (Stereo Not Included)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
i installed a Jenson  in my 79 a few years ago,  i used a  hacksaw  and a file  to  open the  hole up,  i DIDNOT  remove  the  structure  around  the  radio hole,  but  just opened it up as far as i could,  it  went in fine   BUT   it  does stick out a little  because  i didnt want to cut it  enough  to fit  all the way  in there, 

ok  i guess i need pics
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
You can also mount the radio sideways between the seats if that make sense. Just be sure if you mount the radio between the seat that you mount it at an angle. If you don't, the CD player may give you problems like not ejecting the CD  :twocents: Also when I put a radio in my old 83 I kept the stock radio in the dash, mounted the radio in a center console that had a lid to keep it out of sight & ran the stock speakers as a theift deterent. Like StillH2O_Toy mentioned "Out of sight out of mind". Also if you don't want to reach over to change the stations, take that radio back & get one with a remote  :thumbs: Is your truck an SR5? Do you have the oil & volt gauges in front of the shifter? Maybe the radio can fit just below the vents there  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:43:04 PM »
With my 79, I had the stereo in the glove box, mounted with some pieces of wood screwed thru the sides of the plastic.  I just used the cage that came with the deck to hold it in place.  As far a speakers, I found some surface mount 3-way marine speakers and put em in the kick panels, and of course 2-10s behind the seats.

Wiring I ran all custom/new hard wiring.

81tyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
 Well I just got binished cutting out the back of the glove box and mounting the stereo in there, now its tire for the wiring. Well hopefully I have some time to finish this up tonight or tomorrow!

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »
Wiring them is easy. If your stereo didn't come with a plug, go get a universal one so that you can easily pull it out and plug a new one in later. All you need is a constant 12 volt (should be the yellow wire) and an ignition 12 volt (red wire) and a ground, and speaker input. And this will turn the radio on when you turn the motor on, or set the key to accessory, but it will keep the time on the clock and keep your presets.

I made a temporary sheetmetal mount for mine under the dash that bolts to some existing holes. I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with it yet.

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »
thats funny im not used to seeing a switch box on the seat on this site! :eye: :eye:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »
thats funny im not used to seeing a switch box on the seat on this site! :eye: :eye:
Sure you have  :yesnod: Thats the winch control . I'm sure he uses it to get over speed bumps  :thumbs: Wish I would have thought of that when I had a slammed truck :bowdown:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:12:19 AM by Tallchevy350 »

87 4Runner redo

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »

Lol.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

81tyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 04:12:54 AM »
 Hey sorry for the bad spelling on the last post, I was kinda in a hurry to go back out and mount it all up. Well tonight I will tackel the wiring doesent seem like itll be that bad. Well thanks for the help everyone!